[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

18 and 1/2 points?

spain

I don't bet football because I have absolutely no control over how the game is played. Clearly IND will win this week and likely by a 2 TDs or more. The problem is that TEN may be able to cover the spread in garbage time. I'm sure IND could cover this spread easily if that was their goal ... but in the end their goal is the W and the margin is largely irrelevant.

I don't bet football because I have absolutely no control over how the game is played. Clearly IND will win this week and likely by a 2 TDs or more. The problem is that TEN may be able to cover the spread in garbage time. I'm sure IND could cover this spread easily if that was their goal ... but in the end their goal is the W and the margin is largely irrelevant.

and exactly what pro sport do you have control over how the game is played? :D

speaking of spreads, we saw a huge winstreak ats (against the spread) come to an end this weekend. ohio state had 12 straight covers dating back to last yr. highly impressive. let me see, if we had started with 100 and rolled over the winnings on each one, yep, we would have been millionaires.

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why you don't bet significant amounts of money on pro football.

You dont bet on NFL games because a HUGH dog covered an outrageously large number? Well, the premise of this thread was that I personally cannot lay a number that large in an NFL game. The talent on every team is just too great for me to give that many points. Even when you see an obvious mismatch with Indy and Tennessee, where everyone is expecting a blowout by halftime, that number is just too large. My theory was proven correct so why would that prevent me from betting on NfL games?

You dont bet on NFL games because a HUGH dog covered an outrageously large number? Well, the premise of this thread was that I personally cannot lay a number that large in an NFL game. The talent on every team is just too great for me to give that many points. Even when you see an obvious mismatch with Indy and Tennessee, where everyone is expecting a blowout by halftime, that number is just too large. My theory was proven correct so why would that prevent me from betting on NfL games?

That's right. This isn't college where huge point differences are common. In the NFL anyone can win any weekend. 18 1/2 is too many points.

That's right. This isn't college where huge point differences are common. In the NFL anyone can win any weekend. 18 1/2 is too many points.

The spread can some indication as to how much a team is expected to win by, but it's not very reliable. It's more of a way to entice people to bet on the underdog by making it a fairer matchup. If everyone bets on one team and that team wins, their isn't enough to payout to the winners. So they bump the spread up to encourage people to bet on the underdog to level out the potential liability no matter which team wins.

Even if the teams are a very close matchup, if everyone bets one way or the other, the spread has to increase creating an illusion that one team is better then the other when it's really not. I think that was somewhat the case with the Colts/Titans although the Colts are the superior team. No one was betting on the Titans so they had to keep raising the spread until people would.

Titans suck and so does the whole Nashville area. Indy by 31.

You're on--how much $$?

Hmmm... Tenn +31... hmmm..... an NFL team, no matter how bad, getting 31... hmmm.....

And just how much are you willing to bet on this?

Good call. :D

You notice he never did reply to the two that took him up on his outlandish prediction? I kept waiting... but to no avail.

Because even if the spread was a more reasonable 7 points (or even 3 points), the Colts still wouldn't have covered it.

Do what you want, but I'm still of the opinion that betting a ton of money on NFL games is a recipe for disaster. That statement has little to do with the spread in this particular game... I'm speaking more about pro football betting in general.

Edited by Bill Swerski

Because even if the spread was a more reasonable 7 points (or even 3 points), the Colts still wouldn't have covered it.

Do what you want, but I'm still of the opinion that betting a ton of money on NFL games is a recipe for disaster. That statement has little to do with the spread in this particular game... I'm speaking more about pro football betting in general.

I agree with you. Betting on NFL games is pure folly.

That being said I'll take the Ravens plus the points tonight. :D