[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Refs protecting the QB.....

Gopher

I noticed this particularly in the JAX-NYJ game yesterday. Obviously, the game was a complete blowout, and the only reason I saw any of it after the first quarter was because the other games were at commercial breaks simultaneously (this is also getting out of hand, when there are eight early games, and you can only find one or two at a time that are NOT at commercial breaks :D ).

Back to the Jets.... What I am referring to is a couple of plays that were probably the only highlights of the game from the Jets defense' perspective. One was a hit on Leftwich by Vilma, I believe, while the other was a hit by Barton just as Leftwich released the ball. Both were called for late hits, or "roughing the QB." Neither of these plays should/could have been avoided by the defensive player. They were both hits where the player was leaning in towards Leftwich as he released the ball. On the Vilma hit, as the announcer stated, it is very likely that Vilma did not even know that Leftwich had released the ball when he hit him.

I completely understand going out of their way to protect QB's, with the "slide" rule, etc., but this powder-puff type of officiating is getting ridiculous. It's only a matter of time before one of these bogus calls costs someone a game. Obviously, the NFL didn't learn anything last year. :D