[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cedric Benson vs. Thomas Jones

Danny Zuko

Splitting carries??????Tide turning???????? What the heck? I was at the game last weekend and while TJ carried the load all day (when the game was still in question) Benson spelled him for his normal couple of series. It happened that they ended up scoring on the first drive that he came in. I do not call that turning the tide. Even on that drive, TJ came in on 3rd down. I call this TJ's team. Same thing for the second half.... TJ was done in the third quarter but only came in to get 100 yards late in the game. This is clearly his offense.

Not this year Benson fans.

Jones had 22 carries for 109 yds (a little more than 4.9 yds per carry)

Benson had 14 carries for 48 yards (a little less than 3.5 per carry)

I don't know how you can call that game a "tide turner" for Benson.

I agree. Combine his underwhelming stats with injuies and attitude, you have a guy not long for the team if you ask me.

I agree. Combine his underwhelming stats with injuies and attitude, you have a guy not long for the team if you ask me.

As I said earlier............Ad 2 TD's to that yardage total! *sigh*

Based off of what? Some pre draft day annalysis by ESPN and Mel Kiper? The guy has barely played and when he has, he hasn't come close to outplaying TJ.

So Benson has no talent? :D The guy has a lot of skills, just watch him! :D

FWIW, I'm NOT a Benson backer but you can't deny what he can do when healthy. Watch him and report back afterward.

So Benson has no talent? :D The guy has a lot of skills, just watch him! :D

FWIW, I'm NOT a Benson backer but you can't deny what he can do when healthy. Watch him and report back afterward.

I've seen some Bear games, no need for me to check back in. I don't see anythign special, if it were there he would be gaining more than 3.5 per carry and not filling in garbage time.

if this is a reference to my post, i was just comparing the first 5 weeks. I'm not saying that the 06 bears are better then the 85 team, I would have to see the whole season before i can make an opinion about that.

Well, of course I'm in part referring to your post. You said that through the first 5 weeks that the 2006 Bears are better than the 85 team, more than once. Your team is doing great and you have the right to get excited. But this happens every year to a different team in the early season and younger fans (and older for that matter) that aren't in tune with the history of the NFL start saying some pretty silly stuff.

I think the Bears are currently the best team in the NFL and have a legitimate shot at winning the NFC championship and the superbowl. Based on their schedule I think they have a somewhat realistic semi-long shot at going undefeated. I also think they have a good chance of ending up 12-4, losing in the playoffs, and leaving their fans wondering what happened to the "undefeated, better than 85 team, 2006 championship bears."

As Pope Flick said....only 5 weeks of football have been played so far. The Superbowl teams last year were 3-2 and 3-1 at this time. There was also a 5-0 team that had fans talking about going undefeated, records, dominance...etc. etc. etc..........

Edited by bushwacked

Well, of course I'm in part referring to your post. You said that through the first 5 weeks that the 2006 Bears are better than the 85 team, more than once. Your team is doing great and you have the right to get excited. But this happens every year to a different team in the early season and younger fans (and older for that matter) that aren't in tune with the history of the NFL start saying some pretty silly stuff.

I think the Bears are currently the best team in the NFL and have a legitimate shot at winning the NFC championship and the superbowl. Based on their schedule I think they have a somewhat realistic semi-long shot at going undefeated. I also think they have a good chance of ending up 12-4, losing in the playoffs, and leaving their fans wondering what happened to the "undefeated, better than 85 team, 2006 championship bears."

As Pope Flick said....only 5 weeks of football have been played so far. The Superbowl teams last year were 3-2 and 3-1 at this time. There was also a 5-0 team that had fans talking about going undefeated, records, dominance...etc. etc. etc..........

wow. That was one of the best, most well spoken posts I've ever read on here. :D:D

Exactly. I would think they would tade rather than cut him.

If they thought Benson would be anywhere near ready they would trade Jones now.

They will not trade a proven verteran when they have Superbowl on their minds (the front office, I mean).

Not if the Bears go to and win the Superbowl this year with Thomas Jones as the starting RB.

Jones has something else going against him returning to Chicago next season. Football is a business and Jones has an agent that the Bears really dislike: Drew Rosenhaus. (ie see Lance Briggs, see why they couldn't get a long term contrct done with him in the off season)

They will not trade a proven verteran when they have Superbowl on their minds (the front office, I mean).

Of course this year. He is signed through 2007 though(4 year contract) so why would you cut him after this year. Isn't that correct?

Had Benson not hurt his shoulder early in camp, you might be seeing the CB show right now. That was clearly the Bears' preference in training camp before CB got hurt. As a Bears fan I'm ecstatic about Jones success, but IMO you'll see Benson as THE #1 back for the Bears next season. Contract wise, agent wise, Jones represents a short term solution for the Bears. Intermediate term Benson looks like he can carry the rock, help in the passing game, and demonstrate some burst, all things you like, especially when the Bears O will likely pllay on some short fields due to the Bears D forcing turnovers as they do. For the balance of '06 it'll probably stay 65-35 for Jones, unless Jones sustains some kind of knock, which historically he has been prone to. In the meantime, I'll keep CB on my bench, and root for the Bears!

Bears are building for the future at that position.IMO Jones still gets more carries but the Bears did not draft Benson with a top pick in order to let him ride the pine especially at the RB position.RB's get drafted and can play right away.Will it be a RBBC situation?No but I think Lovey will continue to use both to keep a fire lit under Thomas Jones.

Bears are building for the future at that position.IMO Jones still gets more carries but the Bears did not draft Benson with a top pick in order to let him ride the pine especially at the RB position.RB's get drafted and can play right away.Will it be a RBBC situation?No but I think Lovey will continue to use both to keep a fire lit under Thomas Jones.

They didn't draft Curtis Enis or Salaam to be busts either. Can Benson be the man? They do need to find out. If he isn't they should hang on to Thomas.

It stands to reason that sooner or later, the bears have got to give CB some touches. Keep him or trade him, either way, they're not going to be able to establish any value for him if he never gets in the game. At the rate things are going, the Bears will have plenty of garbage time to get CB in the game, but I suspect, as the season wears on, that CB gets touches before the game is out of reach.

Edited by billay

i own neither back in any of my leagues except 32 homers where i have both. anyway, personally, i think benson will turn out to be the best back taken in that draft. the guy had never been injured and i honestly think that his dissension with teammates was the only reason he got hurt in the first place. the bears aren't a team that puts up with whiney prima donna's. within 2 yrs, he will be one of the best in the nfl. jmo. of course, he's no michael turner........ :D

Clearly the Bears aren't going to trade either RB. They have depth at that critical position, plus they have no glaring needs elsewhere.

They're certainly not going to trade them now. That would be insane.

But unless Benson sucks or suffers a major injury this season, Jones is definitely gone next year. He'll be 29 next August, is unhappy with his current contract, and Benson is taking of a lot of cap room.