[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Edgerrin James

CaptainHook

We all know that the Cards can't run block worth a crap. Plus they were playing the Bears.

But a couple things surprised me tonight.

#1. Edgerrin was pulled on third downs. WHAT??!! He's an incredible pass blocker, probably the best in the game at RB. He has great hands. He can break tackles. What kind of moran wants JJ Arrington in on third down??? Edge was great on third down for the Colts. I don't understand it.

#2. Edgerrin was not used in the passing game. Not on screens. Not on dump-offs. Very few routes at all. Not good coaching.

This is Edge's first experience with losing. The year the Colts went 6-10 when he blew out his knee, he was in Miami re-habbing. He's not handling it well. Quite a bit of complaining about not getting the ball. Claps his hands for the ball for dump-offs.

I hope the dough was worth it.

I noticed Edge wasn't used much in the passing game also. They obviously can't run block so why not try to get him in more on the passing game. They are doing a horrible job of using Edge. They're don't look like they mix up their running plays much either. Very easy to read.

Edge had 55 yards on 36 carries. Blame the line all you want, or the losing culture, but that is one of the most pathetic performances by an NFL back I've ever seen, especially on MNF. Take away his one good run of 12 yards, and you have 43 yards on 35 carries, with a fumble. Not to mention not being able to move the ball one stinking yard in two attempts at the end of the game when Rackers coulda used a few extra yards.

Put the ball in his hands, especially in the fourth quarter, so they can chew up clock and yardage, wasn't that his gripe? Well, he got it, and he did absolutely nothing with it.

Was the money worth it? He played like the money is the only thing he cares about. So I'd say yes, it was worth it to Edge, but probably not for the Cards.

Edge had 55 yards on 36 carries. Blame the line all you want, or the losing culture, but that is one of the most pathetic performances by an NFL back I've ever seen, especially on MNF. Take away his one good run of 12 yards, and you have 43 yards on 35 carries, with a fumble. Not to mention not being able to move the ball one stinking yard in two attempts at the end of the game when Rackers coulda used a few extra yards.

Put the ball in his hands, especially in the fourth quarter, so they can chew up clock and yardage, wasn't that his gripe? Well, he got it, and he did absolutely nothing with it.

Was the money worth it? He played like the money is the only thing he cares about. So I'd say yes, it was worth it to Edge, but probably not for the Cards.

Apparently neither you nor the Cardinals are familiar with the concept of "run-blocking."

It's easy to criticize Edge, but from where I was sitting, it looks pretty tough to get much in the way of yardage when two or three guys are sitting and waiting for you where your hole is supposed to be.

I didn't see the game. Was it all third downs across the board that Edge was getting pulled on, or just a few here and there?

Not seeing a single reception, it's clear he could be used better, he's always had great hands and been a threat in the passing game.

But he did have 36 carries! He has to come out for a few plays here and there, or he's going to get hurt.

I'd probably leave him in on 3rd downs and sprinkle in some of the other backs here and there.

Bottome line from my seat--33 rows up and about the 2 yard line, the Cards O-line sucks. That was the most unbelievably most sickening game in the world. If I were Denny "take a knee" Green, I would give the Bidwells their $$ back and walk away.

i wanted no part Edge this year for exactly these type of statlines...

last week vs. KAN, he was complaining AZ was passing with the lead in the 4th quarter.

he's got nothing to complain about this week after notching 36 carries and should now see why they can't rely on the run game.

Edited by kingfish247

No team can win consistently w/o a running game. How much are the AZ O-Line getting paid? Time for Denny Green to do some housecleaning and send some messages to the O-Line.

Problem is that I doubt the backups are any better.

They're gonna have to wait til next year to address the issue - not much they can do now. O-Line has gotta be their #1 priority in the draft and FA. If it isn't, someone needs shot...

Keep in mind that Edge also had 4 - 5 long gains 8 - 12 yards called back because his crappy offensive line was holding. Of those 36 runs, Edge got hit in the backfield almost 50% of the time (at least that what it seemed like!)

If it was LT or Alexander running behind that O-line, we'd be having the same conversation. A RB cannot run when he's hit less than a 1/2 second after he's handed the ball.

Edited by Big Dogs

Keep in mind that Edge also had 4 - 5 long gains 8 - 12 yards called back because his crappy offensive line was holding. Of those 36 runs, Edge got hit in the backfield almost 50% of the time (at least that what it seemed like!)

If it was LT or Alexander running behind that O-line, we'd be having the same conversation. A RB cannot run when he's hit less than a 1/2 second after he's handed the ball.

he probably wouldn't have had those 8-12yd runs if it weren't for the hold. there was also an inordinate amount of illegal formation penalties committed by AZ. there's just no excuse for those kind of mistakes.

at least a holding penalty could be considered an aggressive error... a guy trying to make a play. but illegal formation???

What's really unusual about his stat line is that after a while the D usually gets fatigued and starts giving up bigger chunks of yards especially in the 4th quarter. After 25 rushes I thought the Bears would start to wear down a bit. As it turned out he just kept gitting 0, 1 and 2 tough yards seemingly with every rush. Hats off to the Bears D for never letting up and wow is that Cardinal O-line awful.

I was surprised to see Arrington out there on 3rd downs too but maybe Green just decided to give Edge a breather. Otherwise he could have had over 40 touches last night as well as blitz protection. He's got to be sore as hell today after absorbing that beating.

he probably wouldn't have had those 8-12yd runs if it weren't for the hold. there was also an inordinate amount of illegal formation penalties committed by AZ. there's just no excuse for those kind of mistakes.

at least a holding penalty could be considered an aggressive error... a guy trying to make a play. but illegal formation???

unfortunately, i was desperate for RB help (thank you, lamont jordan) and landed edge last week. i had pretty much written off this game against the bears, but it was still frustrating to watch. not to be too nitpicky, but edge did have about a 10-yard run called back for illegal movement, one of many penalties that showed how undisciplined the cards are. another short dumpoff to edge was batted by a defensive lineman. a bunch of times i noticed edge would be wide open in the flat or underneath, but it seemed leinart just wasn't looking for him. next week i get to see edge vs lamont. by the end, i'll either be elated or suicidal.

I thought Edge ran hard. All of his 4th quarter carries were in an attempt to kill the clock and basically ran him right up the middle. Chicago expected this and blitzed on every play. Hence he has no were to run. This is not Edge's fault at all! I actually thought he played very well.

When it comes to run blocking, the AZ o-line has to be the worst. There was absolutely no holes to run through. I did, however, think that the AZ o-line pass protected fairly well. Except for that RT who completely ignored the DE and let Leinert get creamed, fumble the ball, and let Chicago score a TD, they did all right.

I know it's a loss, and Arizona always finds ways to lose those kinds of games, but I was impressed with AZ as a whole. Leinert looked damn good. He stood in to take the hit and deliver some great throws. When Fitz gets back, this team is going to be good down the stretch.

Edited by NAUgrad

I did, however, think that the AZ o-line pass protected fairly well. Except for that RT who completely ignored the DE and let Leinert get creamed, fumble the ball, and let Chicago score a TD, they did all right.

i agree here but when they breakdown it's not just a breakdown. it's a meltdown. blindside protection is so fundamental in the NFL. i would argue it's probably the most critical job for an O-line. RBs and QBs can create plays but there's nothing that can be done in 3rd and long situations when the blindside protection breaks down.

personally i just don't see much of this changing... Green has never been a very detail oriented coach to effectively fix AZ's deficiencies. Couple it with his resistance to hiring adequate position assistants and it's a recipe for the same old Cards. o-line fundamentals, lining up correctly, special teams... these are how games are won and loss.

You sound like a guy who's knowledge of football stops with skill position players... Games are won up front, with your line. LT wouldnt put up decent numbers with this line. They are that bad.

if you want to be amused, check Edge's ypc this year against Arrington's and Shipp's ypc last year - good stuff.

PS - Edge's is worse that both of the others

Right! Edge is not as good as Shipp or Arrington! Good point.

Is that what I said? My point is simply that guys like Shipp and Arrington were written off as sub-par RBs for failing to produce behind this line . . . but an established stud like Edge isn't doing much behind it either.

Is that what I said? My point is simply that guys like Shipp and Arrington were written off as sub-par RBs for failing to produce behind this line . . . but an established stud like Edge isn't doing much behind it either.

The difference I think is that behind a good O-line, Edge is great. Behind an o-line, Arrington and Shipp are still sub-par.

Just because a bad o-line can make a good RB bad doesn't mean a good o-line can make a bad RB good.