[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Edgerrin James

CaptainHook

Is that what I said? My point is simply that guys like Shipp and Arrington were written off as sub-par RBs for failing to produce behind this line . . . but an established stud like Edge isn't doing much behind it either.

Perhaps because, with Shipp and/or Arrington, opposing defenses would not stack the line, thinking "Who in the heck would actually hand the ball off to these stiffs?"

With James, defenses HAVE to respect the run....hence having 8-men in the box.

I love Leinart, and think he will make a good pro, but his 1st-quarter success the last two weeks was the result of defenses overplaying James, opening things up early for his WRs.

No one EVER overplayed Arrington or Shipp, mostly because they blow.

Is that what I said? My point is simply that guys like Shipp and Arrington were written off as sub-par RBs for failing to produce behind this line . . . but an established stud like Edge isn't doing much behind it either.

I've said this before and allow me to say it again. The "stud" factor surrounding Edge was the result of the offense he gained that status in, not his own ability. When those polls were up at the beginning of the year asking us to vote how we'd thought he'd do, I voted "much worse" because he doesn't have the ability to make people miss. An average back with a bad O-line equals poor production, and it's my opinion that that's what we're seeing now.

I've said this before and allow me to say it again. The "stud" factor surrounding Edge was the result of the offense he gained that status in, not his own ability. When those polls were up at the beginning of the year asking us to vote how we'd thought he'd do, I voted "much worse" because he doesn't have the ability to make people miss. An average back with a bad O-line equals poor production, and it's my opinion that that's what we're seeing now.

This is what I basically said to before the season started. was not alot of people who wanted to hear it then.

That being said anyone who blames Edge because of these performances are wrong. his line is absolutely horrible. the sad part is look at the backs who have been wrote off for the Cardinals the last number of years because they did not have Edges past. people were quick to call Shipp and Arrington and even going back to Thomas Jones horrible when they really had no control over thier own destiny.

This is what I basically said to before the season started. was not alot of people who wanted to hear it then.

That being said anyone who blames Edge because of these performances are wrong. his line is absolutely horrible. the sad part is look at the backs who have been wrote off for the Cardinals the last number of years because they did not have Edges past. people were quick to call Shipp and Arrington and even going back to Thomas Jones horrible when they really had no control over thier own destiny.

I also said that Edge would be much worse this year, but he is still a very good RB. Garrison Hurst is another back that produced after leaving Arizona

I also said that Edge would be much worse this year, but he is still a very good RB. Garrison Hurst is another back that produced after leaving Arizona

I think Edge is a slightly better than average back because his good run blocking and excellent vision. his other tools( speed,power,recieving ability) are just average or slightly below. behind this line what you are good at does not show through.

I think Edge is a slightly better than average back because his good run blocking and excellent vision. his other tools( speed,power,recieving ability) are just average or slightly below. behind this line what you are good at does not show through.

Gotta disagree on this one. Edge has excellent Power, decent speed and is a very good receiver out of the backfield. If anything is a little suspect, I'd say it's his vision. I saw him struggle finding a hole that was there in the first half on a couple of running plays.

Again, he's a very good back that has all the tools but plays behind a horrible O-line.

Gotta disagree on this one. Edge has excellent Power, decent speed and is a very good receiver out of the backfield. If anything is a little suspect, I'd say it's his vision. I saw him struggle finding a hole that was there in the first half on a couple of running plays.

Again, he's a very good back that has all the tools but plays behind a horrible O-line.

I disagree about the vision part. He reads blocks and defenses better than just about any other halfback in the league. His pass-blocking is also outstanding.

The only place where he's slightly lacking, IMO, is his ability to cut. It has diminished somewhat since the knee injury.

Edited by Bill Swerski

The difference I think is that behind a good O-line, Edge is great. Behind an o-line, Arrington and Shipp are still sub-par.

Just because a bad o-line can make a good RB bad doesn't mean a good o-line can make a bad RB good.

This is a classic argument that's been had a thousand times - problem is that it's pretty much impossible to test the relevant theories without picking up RBs and dropping them behind o-lines of differing talent to see how they perform. Of course some RBs are just better than others - there's no arguing that. It's just that sometimes it's tough to tell who should be getting the credit for a RBs good/poor play - the RB or the line.

It's obvious that Edge is great behind a good o-line, but I'm not sure that anyone can truly say that Shipp and Arrington are still sub-par behind an average or good o-line - how would you know?

Perhaps because, with Shipp and/or Arrington, opposing defenses would not stack the line, thinking "Who in the heck would actually hand the ball off to these stiffs?"

With James, defenses HAVE to respect the run....hence having 8-men in the box.

I love Leinart, and think he will make a good pro, but his 1st-quarter success the last two weeks was the result of defenses overplaying James, opening things up early for his WRs.

No one EVER overplayed Arrington or Shipp, mostly because they blow.

if you're saying here that opposing Ds aren't showing any respect to the Zona passing game, I (1) disagree and (2) think that any team that would do that is run by an idiot. I haven't seen anyone overplaying James.

It's obvious that Edge is great behind a good o-line, but I'm not sure that anyone can truly say that Shipp and Arrington are still sub-par behind an average or good o-line - how would you know?

Shipp and Arrington would be productive behind a good line. Not great, but good.

Apparently neither you nor the Cardinals are familiar with the concept of "run-blocking."

I am not so sure the problem is so much run blocking as it is generally sucking. It's not run blocking when the defensive players are tackling the guy in his own backfield. Matt Lienart is thanking his lucky stars that he handed off so much...

Of Edge's 36 attempts, 10 were for a loss. That is not the fault of the running back.