[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Refs should have blown the whistle

Rockerbraves

Anyone else agree with Steve Young that the play Edge fumbled should have been whistled dead? His forward motion was obviusly stopped and the Bears had what seemed to be an eternity to jerk the ball out of his hands. Like Young said, Edge should have secured the ball more, but come on now. Ripping on the ball like that should be reserved for backyard football games only.

Anyone else agree with Steve Young that the play Edge fumbled should have been whistled dead? His forward motion was obviusly stopped and the Bears had what seemed to be an eternity to jerk the ball out of his hands. Like Young said, Edge should have secured the ball more, but come on now. Ripping on the ball like that should be reserved for backyard football games only.

Not only should have they blown the whistle but they should have let Arizona re-run the play so something positive could happen for them on that down.

Not only should have they blown the whistle but they should have let Arizona re-run the play so something positive could happen for them on that down.

It should have been a 15 yard penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct on Urlacher...he shouldn't steal the ball like that, Edge was just trying to run for more yards...

Call could of gone either way, seems like they usually blow they play dead under those circumstances and a lot of times they blow the whistle after the ball comes out. I actually think that since Edge was barely averaging over 1+ per carry had a lot to do with the non-whistle. His progress was pretty much stopped within milliseconds of getting the ball all night. If that play happens after a 5-yard gain I think the refs blow the whistle.

No way the whistle blows when a guy is completely upright and still moving his feet. He could easily have twisted out of that, and if the refs blew the whistle they'd have been crucified.

Very close call... seeing it at live game speed, I was surprised that it was not blown dead before the fumble. There was another play as well, where everyone was surprised that the whistle hadn't been blown (remember the kick return) and it took a replay review to overturn a TD when everybody with coke-rimmed glasses, glacoma and stigmatisms could see that the guy was down at mid-field. Why the hesitation to blow that whistle? Not sure.

But again... close call on that play.

:D

No way the whistle blows when a guy is completely upright and still moving his feet. He could easily have twisted out of that, and if the refs blew the whistle they'd have been crucified.

Well, c'mon now... that's just not true.

Well, c'mon now... that's just not true.

Well not easily, I guess, but if a guy is upright and still driving with his feet, that's a live play.

Well not easily, I guess, but if a guy is upright and still driving with his feet, that's a live play.

That is not accurate either. I don't really think it was that bad of a call, but plays are blown dead all the time where guys are upright and still driving with their feet.

The refs have been told by the league to not be whistle happy. That way, plays can be challenged. There is nothing worse than a play being unchallengable because it was whistled dead. This is a league mandated deal. Edge could have dropped to a knee, and that would have ended the play.

Dead ball calls are always a judgement call. Sure, it was close to being blown dead, but other than feeling something of an underdog backing desire to see the Cards beat the undefeated Bears, I have no problem with what happened.

As I recall, the bigger problem in looking at the replay was that Edge only had one hand on the ball. Being piled up like that, where anyone could have reached in for the strip, he should have protected the ball better.

The refs have been told by the league to not be whistle happy. That way, plays can be challenged. There is nothing worse than a play being unchallengable because it was whistled dead. This is a league mandated deal. Edge could have dropped to a knee, and that would have ended the play.

Exactly what I was about to post. Not long ago, everyone was saying the whistles were going too early.

the whistle coulda blown a split-second before the fumble, it coulda blown a split second after. either way it's a totally subjective thing, and edge was definitely still up and fighting for yards when the ball was stripped. i think the refs woulda blown the whistle if it was a QB there, but they tend to give RBs the benefit of the doubt because a LOT of times a back like edge will squirt out of a situation like that and pick up more yardage.

Exactly. :D