[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Refs should have blown the whistle

Rockerbraves

how many times has someone complained about an early whistle.....arent the refs instructed to not blow the whistle until they are absolutely positive that the play is dead.

After bringing the subject up to the gang on the set, Steve Young quickly got the feeling he was in the minority. He immediately started crawfishing out of his comment by saying something like he believes the referees are doing an adequate job in the NFL, but finished his statement in a low voice as if he didn't want anyone to hear by saying it could be better.

Yes the refs may be instructed not to blow the whistle, but geez not at the expense of BLOWING a call.

Edited by Rockerbraves

Yes the refs may be instructed not to blow the whistle, but geez not at the expense of BLOWING a call.

Even after watching it a thousand times, opinion around here is still divided on whether it should have been dead or not. Hardly a blown call, more a judgment that is controversial.

After bringing the subject up to the gang on the set, Steve Young quickly got the feeling he was in the minority. He immediately started crawfishing out of his comment by saying something like he believes the referees are doing an adequate job in the NFL, but finished his statement in a low voice as if he didn't want anyone to hear by saying it could be better.

i think you run a bigger risk of blowing a call with an early whistle than you do with a late one.

Even after watching it a thousand times, opinion around here is still divided on whether it should have been dead or not. Hardly a blown call, more a judgment that is controversial.

You are right. I just hate to see those kinds of plays where everyone is standing around thinking a play is over and someone starts running with the ball and no one is chasing. Sort of like what happen when the Cards interception happened for a TD that was reviewed and called back. Often you can tell if the ref should or should not have blown the whistle by seeing if any opposing player is aggressively chasing the guy running for the TD.

You are right. I just hate to see those kinds of plays where everyone is standing around thinking a play is over and someone starts running with the ball and no one is chasing. Sort of like what happen when the Cards interception happened for a TD that was reviewed and called back. Often you can tell if the ref should or should not have blown the whistle by seeing if any opposing player is aggressively chasing the guy running for the TD.

like we were all taught in peewee football.....play til the whistle blows

moral of the story... in the future... do not tackle a player... surround him and hold him up until you can strip the ball from him.... regardless of how long it takes..

:D Sounds like taunting to me. :D

I think the moral should be that in order to be fair to everyone, each play should continue until it results in a score... regardless of injury... or death.

None of this will really matter in the long run. The Cards will still miss the playoffs regardless. The Bears will still run up an impressive regular season record and proceed to choke in the playoffs when it matters.

Next question!

OK, here's one....

How many will the Viqueens lose to Seattle by? :D

Anyone else agree with Steve Young that the play Edge fumbled should have been whistled dead? His forward motion was obviusly stopped and the Bears had what seemed to be an eternity to jerk the ball out of his hands. Like Young said, Edge should have secured the ball more, but come on now. Ripping on the ball like that should be reserved for backyard football games only.

But how else could the greatest team in history get back into the game?

I thought he should have been down by contact like I've seen many times before.