[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Big Ben (2005) vs Trent Dilfer (2000)

Steelers4Life

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ironic that so far you are the only one that I've seen comparing Roethlisberger to Dilfer. :D

Why do YOU care if other people are comparing the two QB's? :D

Do you really have so much of yourself emotionally invested in this guy that you simply can't stand it when other people point out his imperfections? It's just weird dude... and more than a little creepy.

Ironic that so far you are the only one that I've seen comparing Roethlisberger to Dilfer. :clap:

Do you really have so much of yourself emotionally invested in this guy that you simply can't stand it when other people point out his imperfections? It's just weird dude... and more than a little creepy.

I did a few weeks ago, but it was mainly to get someone whose name starts with M and ends with O all riled up. Looks like I caught a few :bash:

:D

Edited by junebugz

att com yd td int

Aikman 27 19 207 0 1

:D

I'm certainly not saying that as a knock on Aikman, that's for sure.

Aikman had some great playoff runs too. His regular seasons aside from 2002 weren't very impressive from a numbers standpoint. Ben's 2005 was as good as or better than all of them but one.

But Ben's playoffs last year, with a 7:3 TD:INT ratio and 2 rushing TDs, with over a 62% completion percentage and 8.6 YPA is nothing to dismiss. Those numbers drop dramatically because of his Super Bowl performance, but it shouldn't tarnish his overall playoffs.

Dilfer did very little in the regular season, and he did even less in the playoffs for the 2000 Ravens.

Ironic that so far you are the only one that I've seen comparing Roethlisberger to Dilfer. :D

:bash:

Not really. Just bored at work and my normal site is blocked. So I tried to get some discussion going here, but that's tough amidst the sarcasm and one-liners.

Menudo - is that you?

Really, there is no sense discussing this on this board Steelers4life. There are way too many Steeler/Menudo haters out there to really discuss something that you have put a lot of thought and have actually done some research over.

The only way that this is going to be put to bed is come back in ten years and see where it all played out.

I bet that in 10 years Ben will have earned a lot more respect than that of just the Steeler homers.

Menudo - is that you?

Really, there is no sense discussing this on this board Steelers4life. There are way too many Steeler/Menudo haters out there to really discuss something that you have put a lot of thought and have actually done some research over.

The only way that this is going to be put to bed is come back in ten years and see where it all played out.

I bet that in 10 years Ben will have earned a lot more respect than that of just the Steeler homers.

Ah, got it.

My bad.

Leaving work now anyways.

If that's the case, then there are no accurate QBs in the NFL.

Is it fair to say that Big Ben has sucked balls in 10 of his career 30 starts? Or have I only watched his 6 bad games? It's hard to argue with blind homers who think that Big Ben symbolizes perfection.

theres no point in even making steelers posts on this board anymore.. there is more hatred towards the steelers on here than i have seen in any other board, chat room, bar, etc. it is absurd to compare a guy that was in his 7th year and came over for one season and got to the super bowl to a guy in his 2nd season after coming out as a junior, to be the franchise qb of a team, and take them to the super bowl. he was brought here to win a super bowl in the future.. nobody expected it to be in his 2nd year. we would not have gone 16-2 in 04 and win the super bowl in 05 with tommy maddox at qb.

you guys know damn well you would be living it up if your team drafted a qb, have him win a super bowl in his 2nd season, and compile the record he has. go head and bash him.. he already accomplished what he was brought to pittsburgh to do.. he's still improving and whatever else he wins is icing on the cake.

The fact is, there really is not that much hatred for the Steelers on this board. There are just savvy fantasy football owners that are objective enough to call out blind homerism when they see it.

I guess it's just a product of winning the Super Bowl... the fans of that Championship team come here and start bragging (which is totally fine and justifiable IMO) about how great there team is, but then they just cannot stand it when true and valid criticisms are made about their team.

I don't understand it to be honest with you. I love my home team just about as much as a homer can, but I'm not dumb about it. I know they have strengths and weaknesses, like every other team that has ever existed in history.

theres no point in even making steelers posts on this board anymore.. there is more hatred towards the steelers on here than i have seen in any other board, chat room, bar, etc. it is absurd to compare a guy that was in his 7th year and came over for one season and got to the super bowl to a guy in his 2nd season after coming out as a junior, to be the franchise qb of a team, and take them to the super bowl. he was brought here to win a super bowl in the future.. nobody expected it to be in his 2nd year. we would not have gone 16-2 in 04 and win the super bowl in 05 with tommy maddox at qb.

you guys know damn well you would be living it up if your team drafted a qb, have him win a super bowl in his 2nd season, and compile the record he has. go head and bash him.. he already accomplished what he was brought to pittsburgh to do.. he's still improving and whatever else he wins is icing on the cake.

that cakes been rather dry lately, huh? :D

Is it fair to say that Big Ben has sucked balls in 10 of his career 30 starts? Or have I only watched his 6 bad games? It's hard to argue with blind homers who think that Big Ben symbolizes perfection.

Perfection? Not even close. But he's been FAR better and a much bigger part of the Steelers' success than a lot of people give him credit for.

And no, that's not an accurate statement at all. It's not worth debating though.

If there is one thing I learned at an early age, it is to never be sensitive when around a group of guys or to ever let them know what gets to you.

For reasons I have never fully understood, any team that wins the superbowl has their fans get surprisingly sensitive the next year when anyone dares to criticize or poke fun at them. I mean they should be way above that coming off a championship but for some reason many fans just become rather defensive the next year which only fans the flames. Go figure.

The fact is, there really is not that much hatred for the Steelers on this board. There are just savvy fantasy football owners that are objective enough to call out blind homerism when they see it.

I guess it's just a product of winning the Super Bowl... the fans of that Championship team come here and start bragging (which is totally fine and justifiable IMO) about how great there team is, but then they just cannot stand it when true and valid criticisms are made about their team.

I don't understand it to be honest with you. I love my home team just about as much as a homer can, but I'm not dumb about it. I know they have strengths and weaknesses, like every other team that has ever existed in history.

I'm not referring to fantasy football here. I'm talking about his role as the QB of the Steelers and how the comparisons to Dilfer hold absolutely no water.

Blind homerism? Not at all. I know he's not perfect and I've acknowledged things he needs to improve on many times. I presented facts and statistics that support what I originally said, and I've given more than a few reasons for believing what I do. I don't brag about the championship because that was last year, but it's laughable sometimes the way some people dismiss the way he plays and his contributions to the 2005 season as being nothing more than a game-manager riding the coat-tails of his defense and running game.

I didn't compare him to a gun-slinging QB like Favre. I compared him to a very, very good QB in Aikman who also had his numbers limited by his system. He also benefitted from a strong running game, offensive line, and defense, and Ben currently is more on that kind of track. He's capable of more, but until his situation changes, no one is going to see it.

If there is one thing I learned at an early age, it is to never be sensitive when around a group of guys or to ever let them know what gets to you.

For reasons I have never fully understood, any team that wins the superbowl has their fans get surprisingly sensitive the next year when anyone dares to criticize or poke fun at them. I mean they should be way above that coming off a championship but for some reason many fans just become rather defensive the next year which only fans the flames. Go figure.

no no no, it's all because everybody hates menudo :D

Let me be clear in that I'm not really sensitive about it at all. People who HAVE watched him know what he's capable of, but everyone will have an opinion regardless. That's the nature of the game, but I made the original post simply to start a discussion and to get the point accross that Ben was and is far more than Dilfer ever was in Baltimore, circa 2000. The numbers solidly back that up.