[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lions QB situation

seabronc

I like McCown's arm in Martz's offense, but Martz apparently doesn't think McCown has the football IQ to run his offense, from reports I read in training camp. I do think Orlovsky is their guy down the road, and he seems to be capable of backing it up on the field. Of course, we'll never really know until he starts running with the #1s next year or the year after. If I had to guess, I would guess Kitna is the guy for at least this season and probably next.

Then again, Martz is known to diagram plays where the O isn't capable of blocking blitzing D players adequately, which has lead to injuries of his starting QBs in the past. If Kitna were to get hurt this year, I'd have to guess McCown would get the first shot.

I think that Matt Lienart is the Lions QB of the future.

I'm glad that they drafted him instead of Ernie Sims.

:D

I don't think McCown or Orlovsky will take over the job. However, if Martz leave at the end of the year for a HC position, I think McCown's stock would rise a little.

Listening to NFL Radio on Sirius, one would think that McCown will get the starting nod as soon as it appears the Lions are out of the playoffs or if Kitna got hurt. Most all of their "experts" think McCown is the qb of the future in Detriot. I'd like to see it, as the kid grew up about 30 miles from where I live.

I think that Matt Lienart is the Lions QB of the future.

I'm glad that they drafted him instead of Ernie Sims.

:D

I don't think McCown or Orlovsky will take over the job. However, if Martz leave at the end of the year for a HC position, I think McCown's stock would rise a little.

You don't like Sims?

He is 1 of our few bright spots . I would rather have him than Leinart.

Listening to NFL Radio on Sirius, one would think that McCown will get the starting nod as soon as it appears the Lions are out of the playoffs or if Kitna got hurt. Most all of their "experts" think McCown is the qb of the future in Detriot. I'd like to see it, as the kid grew up about 30 miles from where I live.

Man, I hope this is wrong. I need Kitna for a few starts down the road this season...

You don't like Sims?

no Lions homer here but i'd have to agree Sims has been boss for a rookie LB.

besides drafting a QB with a high pick isn't Martz's style. but Millen is boneheaded enough to do it.

and am i missing something or aren't the Lions all but mathematically eliminated from the playoffs :D

All the "experts" don't pay attention to Lions football. When McCown was signed, it was supposed to be an open competition between him and Kitna for the starting job. Kitna blew him out of the water in minicamps, and they went into TC with Kitna the unquestioned starter. During the preaseaon, Orlovsky started pushing McCown for the #2 spot, also. Further, McCown (IIRC) is only on a two-year contract. Basically, he was a low-risk swing for the fences: he's young, has good tools, has some moxie, and came cheap--but he just doesn't the head to run this offense.

Now Orlovsky, they love. He's a total gym rat, and he took BIG steps forward this offseason. He's still not ready for the big time, but next year he should make some waves in TC. Of course, they may draft somebody too, I don't know.

Peace

policy

You don't like Sims?

I like Sims. I think that he'll be a solid pro. Lots of solid, even better than solid, LBs in the league. Very few game changers though.

But I think Leinart has the potential to be an elite NFL QB, and how many of those are there?