[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tiki Barber To Retire After This Year

Primetime9287

I agree that he's close, but you can't compare what Tiki does in the era of pass-oriented offenses and small linebackers to what <snip> Jim Brown did.

...that's why I focused on RBs who played at least part of their career in the 1970s and forward...

FWIW, Marshall Faulk said that he needs two more years on NFL Network last night. I agree.

IMO, it's bad form for another player who is currently active and not in the HOF (yet) to be telling the world what another currently active player needs to do to get in the HOF...

Shouldn't the requirements for the HOF be dictated by people who are either currently in the HOF ... or ... by people who are professional pontificators and have absolutely zero chance of getting in (i.e., Rich Eisen)?

IMO, it's bad form for another player who is currently active and not in the HOF (yet) to be telling the world what another currently active player needs to do to get in the HOF...

Shouldn't the requirements for the HOF be dictated by people who are either currently in the HOF ... or ... by people who are professional pontificators and have absolutely zero chance of getting in (i.e., Rich Eisen)?

Rich Eisen asked for Marshall's opinion and he gave it. Nothing wrong with that. And since Marshall's an analyst, it's arguably his job.

We'll see what happens. Again, I'd love to see Tiki get in. But I happen to agree with Marshall that he needs two more seasons.

...that's why I focused on RBs who played at least part of their career in the 1970s and forward...

Comparing Tiki to Larry Csonka (a fullback) is also flawed. Offenses in the '70s and '80s were still a lot different than those today. Comparing a player to his peers is the best way to determine HOF eligibility, IMO.

Comparing Tiki to Larry Csonka (a fullback) is also flawed. Offenses in the '70s and '80s were still a lot different than those today. Comparing a player to his peers is the best way to determine HOF eligibility, IMO.

We agree on this ... again, I was just trying to make a general point that until he announced that this was his last year, I never really thought of him for the HOF ... but, then I looked at the numbers and was surprised by what he'd done over his career and what the career numbers looked like from a few of the guys who are already in the HOF.

We agree on this ... again, I was just trying to make a general point that until he announced that this was his last year, I never really thought of him for the HOF ... but, then I looked at the numbers and was surprised by what he'd done over his career and what the career numbers looked like from a few of the guys who are already in the HOF.

We're in agreement there. :D

Kind of why I don't think Tiki should get in as of now. The Hall is for the great players, not the very good. You said it yourelf, you were surprised by his numbers...doesn't sound like a guy that dominated his position...and that is what the Hall is for.

In my opinion, the baseball Hall of Fame is rife with the very good now...

• 2 months later...

Tiki to the HOF?

10yrs (including the first five games of this season)

9320 rushing yards

4.7 YPC

50 TDs

550 receptions

4908 receiving yards

8.9 YPR

12 TDs

14,228 yards from scrimmage

62 TDs

Compare that to all the HOF RBs from the 'modern era' (i.e., played at least a portion of their career after 1970):

Marcus Allen ... 16 seasons ... 12,243 yards rushing (4.1 YPC), 5,411 yards receiving (9.2 YPR), 17,654 total yards and 144 total TDs

Earl Campbell ... 8 seasons ... 9407 yards rushing (4.3 YPC), 806 yards receiving (6.7 YPR), 10,213 total yards and 74 total TDs

Larry Czonka ... 11 seasons ... 8081 yards rushing (4.3 YPC), 820 yards receiving (7.7 YPR), 8,101 total yards and 68 total TDs

Eric Dickerson ... 11 seasons ... 13,259 yards rushing (4.4 YPC), 2,137 yards receiving (7.6 YPR), 15,396 total yards and total 96 TDs

Tony Dorsett ... 12 seasons ... 12,739 yards rushing (4.3 YPC), 3,554 yards receiving (8.9 YPR), 16,293 total yards and total 90 TDs

Franco Harris ... 13 seasons ... 12,120 yards rushing (4.1 YPC), 2,287 yards receiving (7.4 YPR), 14,407 total yards and 100 total TDs

Leroy Kelly ... 10 seasons ... 7274 yards rushing (4.2 YPC), 2,281 yards receiving (12.0 YPR), 9,555 total yards and 87 total TDs

Walter Payton ... 13 seasons ... 16,726 yards rushing (4.4 YPC), 4,538 yards receiving (9.2 YPR), 21,264 total yards and 125 total TDs

John Riggins ... 14 seasons ... 11,352 yards rushing (3.9 YPC), 2,090 yards receiving (8.4 YPR), 13,442 total yards and 116 total TDs

Barry Sanders ... 10 seasons ... 15,269 yards rushing (5.0 YPC), 2,921 yards receiving (8.2 YPR), 18,190 total yards and 109 total TDs

Gayle Sayers ... 7 seasons ... 4956 yards rushing (5.0 YPC), 1,307 yards receiving (11.7 YPR), 6,263 total yards and 48 total TDs

OJ Simpson ... 11 seasons ... 11,236 yards rushing (4.7 YPC), 2,142 yards receiving (10.6 YPR), 13,376 total yards and 75 total TDs

...Tiki's career stats fit right in with these guys...

Food for thought.

He ends with ... 10 seasons ... 10,449 yards rushing (4.7 YPC), 5,183 yards receiving (8.8 YPR), 15,632 total yards and 67 total TDs

...only four guys had more total yards from scrimmage...and only two guys had a higher YPC (Sayers and Sanders)...

Again, I'm not sure Tiki deserves the HOF, but to retire at #5 on the all time 'yards from scrimmage' list for running backs is pretty darn stout.

Edited by muck