[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Brandon Jacobs...If Tiki retires is he an every down back?

quiveringnorm

I believe Jacobs can easily be a featured RB. He has good hands out of the backfield & some amazingly nimble feet for a guy his size. Then you add his size factor and the pounding the D takes when he runs in traffic, and you have a recipe for a very solid starting RB. The best thing for Jacobs is that he is being brought along slowly and learning a ton from a guy like Tiki - you can't put a price on that kind of education.

Remember, Jacobs played with Brown & Williams at Auburn and put up fine numbers in limited chances before he transferred to get more playing time. The kid is capable, certainly, and has the skill set & mentality to be a featured RB. The only way to know for sure if he will succeed now as a featured RB will be the retirement of Barber.

I think the guy gets hurt before this year is up the way he runs. I do think he is capable of being a starting RB. but I think that about alot of teams 2nd and 3rd RB's.

I have a personal theory about upright running, running backs....

you have to be physical to sustain the punishment that this kind of style takes.....ala Larry Johnson...

IMO, Jacobs is a bigger, meaner version of LJ....but would have a much shorter career...

I do think injury is a concern with his running style but his improvement from last year to this year has been night and day. I believe if Tiki retires that he will be the primary back but they will bring in a complimentary back. Let's face it - it seems the day of the true feature back seem to be ending.

He looks awesome to me and could be a 1st round pick. It's pretty scary thinking what he could do with 20+ touches per game. LB's and DB's HATE tackling this guy. He would wear defenses out. In addition, he seems to be a decent receiver out of the backfield. If he started, he would be a LOCK for at least 10 TD's.

I'm a bit concerned about his upright running style like others have mentioned but he'll learn to get lower. There is also the question of whether he can carry the load every week. I suspect he'll make an easy transition the way Lamont Jordan did.

Rodney Harrison II. Punishing RB, who has learned to lower his shoulders some, but will still take quite a beating, the way Rodney did. I suspect he could be very good for several years, but will suffer the short career that most RB's with that running style do.

I have a personal theory about upright running, running backs....

you have to be physical to sustain the punishment that this kind of style takes.....ala Larry Johnson...

IMO, Jacobs is a bigger, meaner version of LJ....but would have a much shorter career...

I think most of agree with his running style he is a mark for injury.

But to me there is another thing he does that will help him get hurt. his actions. he acts like a fool at times and makes sure that he argues with the defense the whole time he is out there. defensive players will take the extra shot on him because of that when they may go a little easier on another back that is going down.

That being said..as many have said the guy is a beast. he does pound the defense and looks gigantic out there even compared to the defense. I admit I am eager to see how he pans out.

As far as learning to get low. I don't think a guy his size can get to low without straightening his neck out or turning to the side. 1 is bad on the body as it leaves you open for neck stingers and the other makes you less effective when you run.

I've always thought that Jacobs could be a featured back, and was surprised to hear that the Giants are supposedly going to pursue Turner in the off-season. :D

I think to much is made out of Turner and not enough is made up of the Charger run blocking. those guys have made everyone look good who is back there the last few years. no way would I overpay for Turner.

I think to much is made out of Turner and not enough is made up of the Charger run blocking. those guys have made everyone look good who is back there the last few years. no way would I overpay for Turner.

Turner is 240 pounds and runs in the 4.4 area... I think its LT and Turner that make a good O Line look like a bunch of HOF'ers

Jacobs does seem to be ready to be a featured back in the NFL, but I still have my doubts that Tiki will retire. There are plenty of reasons why players talk about/threaten retiring: more money, more influence in decisions, wanting to get all the carries (if they coaches are saying they want to ensure his long-term health). Brett Favre has been playing the retirement talk game for close to ten years. Few players retire while they are still on top of their game. I'll believe when training camp closes and Tiki is still retired.

What you are saying may be true, but don't overlook the facts that Barber will be 32 next season, which is ancient for a NFL RB, and he will have 10 seasons under his belt also. You can't help but think he isn't looking across town & watching what CuMar is going through. Then add in with his demeanor, intelligence, easy going manner, & what I can't describe as anything other than just plain likeability, he has a broadcasting career waiting for him the second he steps out of his cleats. There's a lot pointing at Barber actually retiring after this season.