[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Shouldn't steroids be legal in the NFL?

Standale Connection

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a fantasy player I wouldn't mind Fitzgerald being injected with some steriod to help heal up that hammy faster. I admit I don't like seeing steriods in any sport, but when they mention it with the NFL, it doesn't seem to bother me as much. Am I the only one that feels that way? :D

May not approve, however I can understand why many use steriods. $$$$

It's funny that with the guys who swing little sticks it's a huge problem, but for some reason with the guys who physically attack/maul each other you rarely hear about it... :D

I'd say 70% is a nice guesstimate.

I do not know the exactitudes of the whole thing, but I know that the NFL has had steroid testing in place for a much longer period of time - since the early 80s - than MLB. If I recall, it was Lyle Alzedo who really created a stir with his openess about his usage and how it played a factor in his contracting cancer and his ultimate passing.

Found this link: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/7132443

Talks about the NFL policy.

As a fantasy player I wouldn't mind Fitzgerald being injected with some steriod to help heal up that hammy faster. I admit I don't like seeing steriods in any sport, but when they mention it with the NFL, it doesn't seem to bother me as much. Am I the only one that feels that way? :D

The steroids to help heal injuries are already legal and Fitz may be on them right now. That would be the family of anti-inflammatory drugs known as corticosteroids. These drugs are commonly used among athletes to regulate inflammation associated with injuries. These steroids do not offer any benefits for building muscle or strength, and will actually provide the opposite effect if used in large dosages since they will block testosterone from binding to steroid receptors.

You're thinking of the family of anabolic steroids which are synthetic versions of testosterone. These will not help to heal your hammy faster but they will make you stronger, faster, and more aggressive and are of course illegal.

Edited by TwinTurbo

I have a HDtv, I want my athletes like my video games: make them jump higher, run faster, as an audience I think we deserve the best athletes ever seen by man, so what if they die at 40, they hate life after sports anyways.

The steroids to help heal injuries are already legal and Fitz may be on them right now. That would be the family of anti-inflammatory drugs known as corticosteroids. These drugs are commonly used among athletes to regulate inflammation associated with injuries. These steroids do not offer any benefits for building muscle or strength, and will actually provide the opposite effect if used in large dosages since they will block testosterone from binding to steroid receptors.

You're thinking of the family of anabolic steroids which are synthetic versions of testosterone. These will not help to heal your hammy faster but they will make you stronger, faster, and more aggressive and are of course illegal.

Beg to differ.

Anabolic steroids create a more favorable nitrogen balance in the muscle tissue for repair and regeneration (i.e. weight training) and therefore do, in fact, speed up the healling process. This is why you hear of pitchers using them. Not so much for the bulk, but for the ability to be ready to go every 4th or 5th day at a stronger level.

I'm not "pro" steroids, however, if we insist on making the case that it's harmful to players' health, then couldn't we make the same issue with a race car driver going over 200mph around in circles and boxers beating each other in the head without protective gear? There is the occasional call for headgear for boxers, but is usually dismissed quite quickly and no one has ever suggested a "speed limit" for racers.

Yes, most, if not all, are controlled substances and obtained "illegally". But this is a separate issue, in my mind.

ask the wives of the football players that have died due to steroid abuse if they think its a good idea.

Probably would get the same answer from the wives of Muhammad Ali and other boxers & race car drivers that have died in crashes. And the athletes will tell you that they know the risks and its their choice.

Same as those that contiue to smoke and suffer from lung cancer. Those husbands and wives watch while it happens.

I have a problem with the very young athlete who is not aware of the side effects or how to use the drugs and has no apparent reason for using them. If you're on the verge of a multi-millon dollar contract and you'll set your family up for life, I understand that....I personally don't agree with it...but I understand it.

I don't understand the High School freshman who is 98lbs and does not play a sport, but comes into my office and reveals he is on Deca or something else and doesn't know he needs to weight train to build the muscle! I can't tell you how many non-athletes I've seen on the juice sit in the weight room or not even go into a weight room and wait for results. That's where I have the biggest problem. I don't know whether you call it niave, uneducated, or just plain dumb.

It's funny that with the guys who swing little sticks it's a huge problem, but for some reason with the guys who physically attack/maul each other you rarely hear about it... :D

It used to be the other way around. The MLBPA didn't even allow steroid testing until a few years ago. And even then, it was a complete joke for the first couple of seasons. I'm sure that the NFL's steroid-testing system has flaws as well, but they at least had the balls to tell the player's union to stick it and enforce a somewhat-effective program.

That said, I'm sure that there are plenty of MLB and NFL players on HGH right now because there's no definitive test yet.

It used to be the other way around. The MLBPA didn't even allow steroid testing until a few years ago. And even then, it was a complete joke for the first couple of seasons. I'm sure that the NFL's steroid-testing system has flaws as well, but they at least had the balls to tell the player's union to stick it and enforce a somewhat-effective program.

That said, I'm sure that there are plenty of MLB and NFL players on HGH right now because there's no definitive test yet.

While the testing is still flawed, to some extent, there is a way to get the management involved enough to prevent the use.

Its simple..every time a player is caught and suspended, that team cannot replace the roster spot during the suspension. If a coach knows that a particular player is suspicious, he is more motivated to either sit him down or not take a chance if it means going into a season down one (or more) players. This would trickle down to the colleges and combines and when it gets out that so-and-so is using, most teams won't take the risk. It would take a couple of seasons, but I'm willing to bet you see the average size of the NFL lineman decrease decidedly.

In baseball, do you really think a manger wants to have to go any portion of a season with 24 players, assuming one tests positive? Hell no.

Right now they stick their heads in the sand or look the other way. You don't think the Yankees were suspicious of Giambi? Tell Torre and Cashman they're not going to be able to replace him if he's caught and see how much of a contract he's offered.

Make them responsible for policing themselves.

While the testing is still flawed, to some extent, there is a way to get the management involved enough to prevent the use.

Its simple..every time a player is caught and suspended, that team cannot replace the roster spot during the suspension. If a coach knows that a particular player is suspicious, he is more motivated to either sit him down or not take a chance if it means going into a season down one (or more) players. This would trickle down to the colleges and combines and when it gets out that so-and-so is using, most teams won't take the risk. It would take a couple of seasons, but I'm willing to bet you see the average size of the NFL lineman decrease decidedly.

In baseball, do you really think a manger wants to have to go any portion of a season with 24 players, assuming one tests positive? Hell no.

Right now they stick their heads in the sand or look the other way. You don't think the Yankees were suspicious of Giambi? Tell Torre and Cashman they're not going to be able to replace him if he's caught and see how much of a contract he's offered.

Make them responsible for policing themselves.

Not a bad idea. Unfortunately, the MLBPA will threaten to strike if they try to implement it.

Why don't you ask Lyle Alza...oh, nevermind.

I'm not "pro" steroids, however, if we insist on making the case that it's harmful to players' health, then couldn't we make the same issue with a race car driver going over 200mph around in circles and boxers beating each other in the head without protective gear? There is the occasional call for headgear for boxers, but is usually dismissed quite quickly and no one has ever suggested a "speed limit" for racers.

Yes, most, if not all, are controlled substances and obtained "illegally". But this is a separate issue, in my mind.

NASCAR

A Restrictor plate or air restrictor is a device installed at the intake of an engine to limit its power. This kind of system is occasionally used in road vehicles (e.g., motorcycles) for insurance purposes, but mainly in automobile racing, to limit top speed and thus provide more safety, to provide equal level of competition, and to lower costs.

Edited by CD6405