[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Shouldn't steroids be legal in the NFL?

Standale Connection

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NASCAR

A Restrictor plate or air restrictor is a device installed at the intake of an engine to limit its power. This kind of system is occasionally used in road vehicles (e.g., motorcycles) for insurance purposes, but mainly in automobile racing, to limit top speed and thus provide more safety, to provide equal level of competition, and to lower costs.

The phrase is "more safety".

If you reduce speeds you'll also get "more safety" If you reduce the number of cars on the track you'll get "more safety"

If you run blood tests every six weeks while you're stacking to monitor liver and kidney levels you'll also get "more safety' but still no guarantees. If you take injectables vs. orals that bypass the liver you'll get "more safety'. As Mr. Einstein once said, its all relative

Beg to differ.

Anabolic steroids create a more favorable nitrogen balance in the muscle tissue for repair and regeneration (i.e. weight training) and therefore do, in fact, speed up the healling process. This is why you hear of pitchers using them. Not so much for the bulk, but for the ability to be ready to go every 4th or 5th day at a stronger level.

Your hamstring is not a muscle. It's a tendon. Anabolic steroids will not help heal a hamstring. But they will help with recovery for muscle tissue.

I was just commenting on the original poster's idea that Fitz should take steroids to heal his hammy. Corticosteroids might help but anabolic steroids would not help for a hammy.

Edited by TwinTurbo

Your hamstring is not a muscle. It's a tendon. Anabolic steroids will not help heal a hamstring. But they will help with recovery for muscle tissue.

I was just commenting on the original poster's idea that Fitz should take steroids to heal his hammy. Corticosteroids might help but anabolic steroids would not help for a hammy.

Well - shoot something in there to heal it-- legal or not, he is missing out on a great match-up this weekend against Oakland. :D

Hamstring is not a muscle??? What med school did you graduate from???

Its actually considered 4 muscles!!! smeimembranosous, semitendenosous, and two heads of bicep femoris.

Pick up a text book!

Sheesh! :D

Edited by Atlas

I have to agree, it is most definitely a group of muscles. Although I'm not overly familiar with the exact mechanism in which it's injured. It seems there are plenty of injuries that are referred to as though they were 'muscle' injuries that actually are tendon injuries. A lot of people referred to Ahman green's injury as a thigh muscle injury, but it was actually an injury to the thigh tendon where it connected with the knee. I don't know exactly what is injured or how it is injured on a hamstring tear, other than that I know it relates to the underdevelopment of the hamstring in relation to the quadriceps muscles. I hurt my hip flexor back in May and it still hadn't gotten any better (actually got even worse I think) by the end of summer, despite my best efforts to give it good rest along with gradual rehab. That tended to make me think the injury might have struck further than just the muscle itself.

Edited by Crazysight

Yeah, look at all the Pro Wrestlers who die in their 30's or 40's from all the steriods they've taken. Sure, if you don't want any of the guys to be alive for their HoF induction, hook them up with steroids. Great idea.

A lot of the pro wrestlers that have died in there 30's and 40's was due to heart attack from overdoses from narcotics such as cocaine and what have you. Eddie Guarerro, Curt Henning, and Brian Pillman all come to mind in recent years.

I would hate to see what the effect would be on children if they knew that they had to get started early on roids in order to even make the college team. We would have kids on steroids.

Well - since you brought children into this.. I agree, keep steriods illegal!!! no question. Eventhough I almost guarantee some high school kids are taking them. Heck, a few were when I was in High school and that was 12 years ago. Guys will do anything they can to get there hands on the money, I think thats what it all boils down to. Get rid of the extremly high salaries and maybe we will see a cleaner game. My point as a fantasy owner, all serious issues aside, is to keep these guys on the field at all cost. I don't care about these players personal lives, I want to see production on the field every week. :D

I have to agree, it is most definitely a group of muscles. Although I'm not overly familiar with the exact mechanism in which it's injured. It seems there are plenty of injuries that are referred to as though they were 'muscle' injuries that actually are tendon injuries. A lot of people referred to Ahman green's injury as a thigh muscle injury, but it was actually an injury to the thigh tendon where it connected with the knee. I don't know exactly what is injured or how it is injured on a hamstring tear, other than that I know it relates to the underdevelopment of the hamstring in relation to the quadriceps muscles. I hurt my hip flexor back in May and it still hadn't gotten any better (actually got even worse I think) by the end of summer, despite my best efforts to give it good rest along with gradual rehab. That tended to make me think the injury might have struck further than just the muscle itself.

At the risk of gettin off the topic of this thread.......

You are right on. Most of the hamstring injuries are thought to occur due to an over development of the quads vs. the hams. Convential wisdom, at this point, places the minimal strength ratio at a 5:3 , Quads to Hams. Anything closer to 1:1 is desired. The thought is that the athletes that rely on extensor power, (i.e sprinter, Wr's, kickers, base The only 6 time Super Bowl Winners and YOUR DADDY) have over developed the engine without matching the brakes.

It just seems that getting the athletes on the extensor machines is a lot easier than the flexors, for what ever reason. Probalby akin to working biceps, because they are the flashier muscle, vs. the triceps which, in optimium condition should make up close to 70% of the upper arm.

The most recent study that crossed my desk last week links a subluxation/misalignment of the ilium to improper musculoskelatal function. I find this VERY common in my practice.

As far as the mechanism, it varies. I see distil pulls, proximal pulls, medial, lateral. All slightly different depending on the athlete's particular sport and position. The reason they seem to linger, in my opinion, is that convential treatment is to use Physical Therapy and wait for the sprain/strain to heal, but doesn't address the reason it occurs. Sometimes its just a blunt-trauma hit (i.e., a linenbacker putting his pads square against the muscle) other times its misalgined and just waiting for the right cut (the proverbial "I heard a pop and went down)

Getting back to the topic at hand,.....there is also consideration that anabolic steroids could increase the muscle mass, therefore strength, to such a point that the muscular system is too strong for the ligamentous make up a particular athlete, causing related injuries.

At the risk of gettin off the topic of this thread.......

You are right on. Most of the hamstring injuries are thought to occur due to an over development of the quads vs. the hams. Convential wisdom, at this point, places the minimal strength ratio at a 5:3 , Quads to Hams. Anything closer to 1:1 is desired. The thought is that the athletes that rely on extensor power, (i.e sprinter, Wr's, kickers, base The only 6 time Super Bowl Winners and YOUR DADDY) have over developed the engine without matching the brakes.

It just seems that getting the athletes on the extensor machines is a lot easier than the flexors, for what ever reason. Probalby akin to working biceps, because they are the flashier muscle, vs. the triceps which, in optimium condition should make up close to 70% of the upper arm.

The most recent study that crossed my desk last week links a subluxation/misalignment of the ilium to improper musculoskelatal function. I find this VERY common in my practice.

As far as the mechanism, it varies. I see distil pulls, proximal pulls, medial, lateral. All slightly different depending on the athlete's particular sport and position. The reason they seem to linger, in my opinion, is that convential treatment is to use Physical Therapy and wait for the sprain/strain to heal, but doesn't address the reason it occurs. Sometimes its just a blunt-trauma hit (i.e., a linenbacker putting his pads square against the muscle) other times its misalgined and just waiting for the right cut (the proverbial "I heard a pop and went down)

Getting back to the topic at hand,.....there is also consideration that anabolic steroids could increase the muscle mass, therefore strength, to such a point that the muscular system is too strong for the ligamentous make up a particular athlete, causing related injuries.

*Do you guys have direct emails- if I ever get a sports related injury, I want to get your advice. This info. is great stuff. :D

*Do you guys have direct emails- if I ever get a sports related injury, I want to get your advice. This info. is great stuff. :D

I tried to send my email you via PM. If you don't get it, let me know.

I'm better with hamstrings than with computers. :D

Yeah in my case it was more of a "pop" sort of deal than a blunt trauma. I was simply jumping up at a basketball rim and felt it go in my hip area (of the leg that was going up, not the one I was jumping off of). Seems it was somehow overextended in this way. Later that summer it got to the point where I couldn't even sprint without it going. I really don't know why it was that bad, but I think I'm going to have to do a good amount of resistance/weight training exercise on my lower body to build up strength before I do anymore of that.

Yeah in my case it was more of a "pop" sort of deal than a blunt trauma. I was simply jumping up at a basketball rim and felt it go in my hip area (of the leg that was going up, not the one I was jumping off of). Seems it was somehow overextended in this way. Later that summer it got to the point where I couldn't even sprint without it going. I really don't know why it was that bad, but I think I'm going to have to do a good amount of resistance/weight training exercise on my lower body to build up strength before I do anymore of that.

If not diagnosed and treated properly in the early going, many times scar tissue forms and really needs to be addressed (that is, stretched out). The scar tissue along with the original mechanism (i.e., misaligned hip, etc) will both act to produce repetitive/chronic reocurrances. This also goes for groin and quad pulls.

There are a number of pretty decent books on stretching. Its tough to recommend one particular stretch if you don't know exactly where the pull is. A generic one we all did on the practice field is to step the unaffected foot across the affected side and simple reach for the toes without bouncing.

Building strength is always helpful. I ask my athletes how much weight they can do on a leg extension machine for 10 reps comfortably. Then how much they can do on the leg curls. This helps me evaluate the Quad:Ham ratio to see if that needs to be addressed..keeping in mind no greater than 5:3, or say 100lbs to 60lbs.

The steroids to help heal injuries are already legal and Fitz may be on them right now. That would be the family of anti-inflammatory drugs known as corticosteroids. These drugs are commonly used among athletes to regulate inflammation associated with injuries. These steroids do not offer any benefits for building muscle or strength, and will actually provide the opposite effect if used in large dosages since they will block testosterone from binding to steroid receptors.

You're thinking of the family of anabolic steroids which are synthetic versions of testosterone. These will not help to heal your hammy faster but they will make you stronger, faster, and more aggressive and are of course illegal.

:D Um...hi. And you don't post more...why?

I'm not "pro" steroids, however, if we insist on making the case that it's harmful to players' health, then couldn't we make the same issue with a race car driver going over 200mph around in circles and boxers beating each other in the head without protective gear? There is the occasional call for headgear for boxers, but is usually dismissed quite quickly and no one has ever suggested a "speed limit" for racers.

Yes, most, if not all, are controlled substances and obtained "illegally". But this is a separate issue, in my mind.

ask the wives of the football players that have died due to steroid abuse if they think its a good idea.

Probably would get the same answer from the wives of Muhammad Ali and other boxers & race car drivers that have died in crashes. And the athletes will tell you that they know the risks and its their choice.

Same as those that contiue to smoke and suffer from lung cancer. Those husbands and wives watch while it happens.

I have a problem with the very young athlete who is not aware of the side effects or how to use the drugs and has no apparent reason for using them. If you're on the verge of a multi-millon dollar contract and you'll set your family up for life, I understand that....I personally don't agree with it...but I understand it.

I don't understand the High School freshman who is 98lbs and does not play a sport, but comes into my office and reveals he is on Deca or something else and doesn't know he needs to weight train to build the muscle! I can't tell you how many non-athletes I've seen on the juice sit in the weight room or not even go into a weight room and wait for results. That's where I have the biggest problem. I don't know whether you call it niave, uneducated, or just plain dumb.

I agree to some degree, but then again, I also feel, if you want to commit suicide or shoot heroin into your eyeballs, it's fine with me. Why should I care if you want to smoke crack through a car antenna? I shouldn't. As long as you're not giving it to kids, or even broadcasting that you do for kids to see, and as long as you stay away from me and don't cause any direct danger to me or mine, I'm cool with it.

but that brings me to my next point. These players, all sports players are idols. Kids grow up idolizing them, wanting to be them, STRIVING to be them. They buy the clothes they endorse, they drink what they drink, they act like they act. They want to be them, and if these guys are using dangerous drugs, it's going to tell these same kids to use those same dangerous drugs.

And also, if the sport becomes dominated by steroids, it means you will have to use steroids just to remain competitive, so kids will start using them earlier and earlier, so they can get a jump and prepare themselves early on to be studs in High School or College or the NFL. It's a terrible trend that will not break unless the leagues of those sports step in and let kids know it's not neccessary, in fact, it's NOT WORTH IT.

Unfortunately, the size of NFL players, now a days, are just incredible. Nay, REDICULOUS. So if someone has the passion inside of them to be an NFL star, as well as the talent, but lacks the size, i think Steroids is their only option. Or the Arena League. I think most would choose the early grave. :D

"If not diagnosed and treated properly in the early going, many times scar tissue forms and really needs to be addressed (that is, stretched out). The scar tissue along with the original mechanism (i.e., misaligned hip, etc) will both act to produce repetitive/chronic reocurrances. This also goes for groin and quad pulls."

So what do you mean when you say a "misaligned hip?" Is that a chiropractic sort-of-thing you're referring to?

"If not diagnosed and treated properly in the early going, many times scar tissue forms and really needs to be addressed (that is, stretched out). The scar tissue along with the original mechanism (i.e., misaligned hip, etc) will both act to produce repetitive/chronic reocurrances. This also goes for groin and quad pulls."

So what do you mean when you say a "misaligned hip?" Is that a chiropractic sort-of-thing you're referring to?

Yes. We use the term "subluxated", but I didn't want to get too deep. It really occurs very frequently

and, as I said earlier, a study was just published that compares treatment of hamsting pulls using manipulation and was quite favorable. I trashed the hard copy after reading it and tried to find a link but was unable. If you'd like to see it, I'll try to track it down. Essentially it compared different groups of patients being treated for the same injury(hamstring). One group was convential treatment, one with manipulation, one with both.

Obviously the one being treated with both fared best.

Definitely no on legalizing anabolic steroids in sports. They make for faster, stronger athletes, but they have a lot of negative complications to the liver and kidneys, circulatory system, nervous system and they can induce "roid rage" on the emotional/psychological level.

Plus, if the pro athletes use them they will become even MORE prevalent in colleges and high schools and even younger, as young men try to bulk up to become more popular, more attractive to the opposite sex, emulate their heroes, or give themselves that competitive edge that they need to get that shot at the pros or a college scholarship. The use of steroids by teens (which already happens way to much now) is MUCH more dangerous because they are already going through all the hormonal changes of puberty and usually struggling to learn to conduct themselves emotionally and socially as adults.

A career in football often takes enough physically out of the players without the long-term risk of steroid use.

Sounds interesting. If you're able to track it down that would be cool. And thanks for all the good info!

Here's one study that I stumbled on looking for the most recent one. It says, essentially, the same thing.

I liked the other one better.

Read this, I'll see if I can find the other.

http://www.chiroandosteo.com/content/13/1/4