[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Are the Chargers the best team in the AFC?

MothAudio

I'll wait until they beat a couple of teams with winning records, and in particular at least one with a winning record on the road. So far they are 0-1 in that regard, and those are the types of teams they'll go up against in the playoffs.

They may be the best. They may be pretenders. We'll see...

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...The Colts have been playing off the last couple of weeks and their defense couldn't stop a middle school running back, but they had similar issues last year early on as well.

When was the last SB Champion with a crap D? Offense can win a lot of regular season games, but Defense wins in the playoffs and Championship games (see Steelers, 2005 version). That is why the Colts are as doomed to be the bridesmaids just as my Coryell/Fouts Chargers were!

If you look HERE :D and choose to ignore the Aikman rankings that is fine (though an intriguing system if you check it out). Look at the actual NFL rankings. The Chargers are the ONLY team listed in the top five (3/1) in both Ofense and Defense AND the only other team listed in the top ten in both is the COWBOYS (6/6).

I repeat, there is a no MORE balanced team in the NFL, and if the Playoffs started tomorrow, I would think the Bolts would have to be a top two or three favorite to go all the way! A playoff caliber defense coupled with an efficient, point producing Offense.

San Fran was a dynasty for many years and nobody ever seemed to mention the 8 patsy in-division games they got to play every year during this cycle. They are all NFL teams, and winning breeds winning. And winning these game you should, as big as they have been, is a very good sign for US Charger fans.

Yes, but Pittsburgh is coming on.

v. Colts (Colts defense isn't NEAR San Diegos and the Colts don't have the running game of San Diego. I'll give you the Colts passing game, but it isn't enough to make up for the other problems)

v. Broncos (Jake Plummer)

v. New England (No receivers, age creeping in, defense not in San Diegos league and Viniteri is gone)

v. Jacksonville (I like Jax and they are similiar to the Chargers, but San Diego has more playmakers on both sides of the ball)

v. Pittsburgh (Maybe this is the team to beat. They have gotten their feet up under them and Ben got off the schnide last week.

KC beat SD this weekend? Their strenght vs SD's strenght. I think they lose that battle. SD has been a nightmare for RBs. And even if LJ "gets his" will that be enough to counter the SD offensive weapons? The soft KC OL will be pummeled by the SD DL. SD is favored by 5 1/2 @ KC. This game shouldn't even be close.

Edited by MothAudio

i think the bolts are going down this weekend at arrowhead. will that change peoples perspective if that happens?? he11 yea. chiefs +185 moneyline.

Cool. How 'bout some expert analysis as to why you think this happens. THE ONLY advantage KC has this weekend is their house. Loud nad brutal place to play as a visiting team.

Say the Chargers win... Will that change your perspective the other way :D ? Doubt it :D

Cool. How 'bout some expert analysis as to why you think this happens. THE ONLY advantage KC has this weekend is their house. Loud nad brutal place to play as a visiting team.

That may be enough. SD is 1-8 in the last 9 years visiting KC. Arrowhead is a tough place to play in, especially for AFC West teams.

KC beat SD this weekend? Their strenght vs SD's strenght. I think they lose that battle. SD has been a nightmare for RBs. And even if LJ "gets his" will that be enough to counter the SD offensive weapons? The soft KC OL will be pummeled by the SD DL. SD is favored by 5 1/2 @ KC. This game shouldn't even be close.

San Diego had thier spirit broken in that game in the rain in KC last year. KC controlled that game from start to finish at the end of the season. Just like SDs butt physical butt whoopin on the Colts last year (the Colts "lost" something in that game), the Chargers were just not the same after that KC game. They sort of cashed it in after the KC loss. I think the Bolts remember that and are a much fresher team, a year more mature though still young and with a healthy LT going into that place (cracked ribs last year).

San Diego is the superior team and should win. If the Bolts get up early and keep the throttle on like the last two weeks, KC could be looking at another rout.

I hope that it is a close and hard fought battle. Winning one like that, in KC's house, would be much better for the mettle of this team as opposed to a big win or a loss.

Chargers had the scheduling to be a good team this year. just as they were better than their record last year(because of tough scheduling) they will be worse than their record this year(because of easy scheduling).

I like the Chargers but I would say that the Broncos, Colts , Patriots and Steelers are the teams I can see making a run til the end.

I expect the teams to start passing on Chargers at will soon. right now the Chargers have been daring teams to pass on them by stacking the line(this is why their run defense has looked better than it is), luckily they have had some easier teams to play and they have not exploited the secondary like you can. but it will happen when they start facing some of these better teams.

This all being said..not trying to dog the Chargers as I would love to see them go all the way. I just cannot see them doing so as of now, that could change as the season goes along. but as of now..that is how I feel.

I could actually stand to see the Chargers lose a bit. As an LT owner, I need them fighting for the playoffs or home field advantage during fantasy playoffs so LT stays in there. To make things worse, my league has fixed roster spots so I don't have the luxury of wasting a RB position on Turner. As an LT owner the two worst things that could happen are the unmentionable and have Marty split time at the end of the season to save LT for the playoffs.

Say the Chargers win... Will that change your perspective the other way :D ? Doubt it :D

i'm no expert, but i do spend a fair amount of time handicapping. the chargers winning won't make me think they are the best team in the afc. they are one of them, but who am i to say who's best? or you, or anyone else at this juncture. all speculation. anyway, why did i think the bucs would beat the bengals last week and why did i recommend that? they are much inferior to the bengals, had shown no signs of life, lost there qb, etc. i found it to be good value, for one. home team with angst because they had been playing so badly for two. they took some pride in themselves and beat a team that was better than them. intangibles.

the answer on k.c. is look at the home record. look at the home record ats. look at it for this yr, look at it for the last 3 yrs. just look at it. plain and simple, they beat division opponents at home quite regularly weather they have the best team or not. do i really need to have more reason then that??? more intangibles.....they were humbled last week against the steelers. another home team with angst. i like teams in those spots.

i'm no expert, but i do spend a fair amount of time handicapping. the chargers winning won't make me think they are the best team in the afc. they are one of them, but who am i to say who's best? or you, or anyone else at this juncture. all speculation. anyway, why did i think the bucs would beat the bengals last week and why did i recommend that? they are much inferior to the bengals, had shown no signs of life, lost there qb, etc. i found it to be good value, for one. home team with angst because they had been playing so badly for two. they took some pride in themselves and beat a team that was better than them. intangibles.

the answer on k.c. is look at the home record. look at the home record ats. look at it for this yr, look at it for the last 3 yrs. just look at it. plain and simple, they beat division opponents at home quite regularly weather they have the best team or not. do i really need to have more reason then that??? more intangibles.....they were humbled last week against the steelers. another home team with angst. i like teams in those spots.

Yup......but I can say i am a little worried...not so much as I was going into last weeks game against the Steelers though. If they don't shadow Gates this game will be over....he has torched them since coming into the league....the routinely let him roam free over the middle and you just can't do that with one of the best TE's or WR's in football....do you see Gonzo being left to roam free :D hell no he's double teamed on a lot of plays. Merriman, Williams and Gates will be the reason this team would pull one out in Arrowhead......Rivers...good luck kid you're gonna need it......LT should have a pretty good day. Am I picking my Chiefs to win.....heck yeah I am THIS week. MCBoog is a diehard homer...nothing wrong with that...however if the roles were reversed and the Chargers and Chiefs had each others schedule and records thus far and the Chiefs were going to SD.....do you think with that creampuff schedule the Chiefs would be mentioned as one of the best teams in the AFC.....I think not. Time will tell whether they are one of the best or not. If they go into Arrowhead and blow them out...then yes they are one of the best. McBoog even mentioing that this might be a blowout is beyond me...these two teams play each other very close in the overall series if I'm not mistaken. Anyway...should be a good game and I am looking forward to a rebound game and getting back to .500 @ 3-3.

these two teams play each other very close in the overall series if I'm not mistaken. Anyway...should be a good game and I am looking forward to a rebound game and getting back to .500 @ 3-3.

Actually, over the past 9 years playing in KC, the average score in the 8 KC wins over SD has been 28-8. The lone SD win was by a FG 2 years ago.

This game has trap written all over it.

Actually, over the past 9 years playing in KC, the average score in the 8 KC wins over SD has been 28-8. The lone SD win was by a FG 2 years ago.

It's hard to argue with Bronco Billy on this one.

Proof

Edited by Menudo

Wow...I remember the game between us always being very close...maybe I'm thinking of someone else.

if the roles were reversed and the Chargers and Chiefs had each others schedule and records thus far and the Chiefs were going to SD.....do you think with that creampuff schedule the Chiefs would be mentioned as one of the best teams in the AFC.....I think not. Time will tell whether they are one of the best or not. If they go into Arrowhead and blow them out...then yes they are one of the best. McBoog even mentioing that this might be a blowout is beyond me...these two teams play each other very close in the overall series if I'm not mistaken. Anyway...should be a good game and I am looking forward to a rebound game and getting back to .500 @ 3-3.

ya, its been a weak schedule. but they've let Rivers get his feet wet before letting him swim. and we've man-handled the weaker opponents. regardless, in Arrowhead its always a tough game.

Former Chiefs quarterback Rich Gannon, who will be the CBS analyst with play-by-play man Ke vin Harlan this Sunday, doesn’t see Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers pulling an Alex Smith at Arrowhead.

In other words, Gannon doesn’t see Rivers getting swallowed alive by the hostile Arrowhead environment.

“Yes, it’s a tough environment,” Gannon said by phone. “But this kid (Rivers) has shown he can handle tough environments. He’s unique and very level-headed.

“He was in a tough environment in Baltimore a few weeks ago. I did that game (for CBS), and he threw a pick early and then bounced right back and was fine. Yes, it will be loud, but I think he can manage it.

“The coaching staff in San Diego and Marty Schottenheimer have put him in a good situation to succeed. Despite what people say, they’ve given Philip Rivers the freedom to create some big plays.”

Gannon does concede it will be a test for Rivers.

“You don’t want to get down early, obviously,” Gannon said. “You want to keep it manageable. But I don’t think this environment will be too big for him. He hasn’t played at Arrowhead, but he’s been there before. It won’t be totally new for him.”

The Chiefs looked like a little league team last week................. :bash:

:D You've really upset me :D Just make sure you remember when the Steelers miss the pllayoffs that I was one of the only and first to predict that was going to happen.

And before you reply that when was the last time the Chiefs won a playoff game or made the playoffs....I am well aware.....we aren't the defending champs :clap: