[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

FBI interviews person suspected of stadium threat post

Randall

Thursday, October 19, 2006

FBI interviews person suspected of stadium threat post

Associated Press

WASHINGTON -- The FBI interviewed a Milwaukee resident Thursday who officials believe was involved in posting Internet threats about dirty bomb attacks on NFL football stadiums this weekend. The threats appeared to be phony.

The person, described as a 20-year-old man, did not appear to have any ties to terrorist groups, according to an FBI official in Washington who spoke on condition of anonymity because the investigation was ongoing.

"From the information we have, we believe he was involved to some extent, but we don't know at what level," said FBI special agent Douglas E. Porrini in Milwaukee.

"That person was released, but we're not saying that he won't be charged," Porrini said. "We don't know what his level of involvement was."

The threats about radioactive bombs, posted on a Web site a week ago, were not backed up by intelligence indicating such an attack might be imminent, according to the FBI and the Homeland Security Department.

Homeland Security on Wednesday alerted the NFL and authorities in New York, Miami, Atlanta, Seattle, Houston, Oakland and Cleveland, saying they were acting "out of an abundance of caution."

Homeland Security spokesman Russ Knocke on Wednesday said the threat was viewed "with strong skepticism." Still, the agency contacted the National Football League, local authorities and stadium owners. Also notified was the National Collegiate Athletic Association.

The online posting, dated Oct. 12, was part of an ongoing conversation titled "New Attack on America Be Afraid." It appeared on a Web site, "The Friend Society," that links to various online forums and off-color cartoons. The site's Internet provider declined to comment.

The message said trucks would deliver radiological bombs to stadiums in New York, Miami, Atlanta, Seattle, Houston, Oakland and Cleveland -- and that al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden would claim responsibility.

A dirty bomb would use conventional explosives to scatter radioactive material. Such a blast probably would not cause many deaths, experts say, but the fear of contamination could spark panic. Land and buildings hit with radioactive particles might be unusable for years.

Authorities traced the site's Internet provider to Voxel Dot Net Inc., which has support and engineering staff based in Troy, N.Y. A man who answered the phone at Voxel Wednesday declined to give his name, said he was unaware of the posted threat and refused further comment.

The author of the threats, posted at 9:31 p.m. EDT on Oct. 12, identified himself online as "javness."

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said stadiums are well-protected through "comprehensive security procedures" that include bag searches and pat-downs.

Officials were made aware of the Web posting on Monday. The threat was time for Sunday, marking the final day in Mecca of Ramadan, the Islamic holy month.

A copy of the posting said: "The death toll will approach 100,000 from the initial blasts and countless other fatalities will later occur as result from radioactive fallout."

It said al-Qaida automatically would receive blame for the nearly simultaneous attacks, and predicted, "Later, through Al-Jazeera, Osama bin Laden will issue a video message claiming responsibility for what he dubbed 'America's Hiroshima.' "

The posting noted that all of the stadiums cited, with the exception of Atlanta's, are open-air arenas. "Due to the open air, the radiological fallout will destroy those not killed in the initial explosion." The retractable roof in Houston has been closed for all games this season.

In Indianapolis, where the Colts were preparing for a home game this weekend, head coach Tony Dungy said, "I've been waiting for this to happen for a couple of years now and you try and handle the security and put it out of your mind."

"That person was released, but we're not saying that he won't be charged," Porrini said. "We don't know what his level of involvement was."

:D

Given history and the nature of his statements, despite the 1st Amendment, he ought to be charged with something - if nothing else to force an investigation of the threat.

If they aren't going to let him cool his heels in jail for a while or fine him a year's pay or so, I'd concede to a punishment of a few hours of cattle prods to the nuts.

I agree this jahoo should be charged with something of note - criminal misconduct, etc. Homeland Security hasn't come up with any kind of terrorism penalty for this kind of thing?

I would guess the home teams/stadiums probably were making contingency plans of some sort to add a little security, etc., just in case. That costs money, and should be attributed to the arsehole.

Not charged? That seems ridiculous to me.

I agree this jahoo should be charged with something of note - criminal misconduct, etc. Homeland Security hasn't come up with any kind of terrorism penalty for this kind of thing?

I would guess the home teams/stadiums probably were making contingency plans of some sort to add a little security, etc., just in case. That costs money, and should be attributed to the arsehole.

Not charged? That seems ridiculous to me.

Do you know what he posted? I don't....but this obviously was a "rumor" that took off somehow. The fact that a public agency over-reacts (two weeks before an election, ahem) isn't necessarily the kids fault.

Also, the stadiums he listed have different start times for the games, so logistically, it makes no sense.

Methinks in the tabloid world we live in, places like ESPN like it when they can milk the headlines from the real world to make sports all the more important (see Lidle, Cory).

Edited by godtomsatan

MILWAUKEE -- Internet threats of "dirty bomb" attacks at NFL stadiums this weekend were a hoax, the FBI and Department of Homeland Security said Thursday.

The FBI made the announcement after agents questioned a 20-year-old Milwaukee man in an effort to determine who made the threats, which were posted on a Web site last week.

"The investigation has determined that this is a hoax. The public should be reassured of their security as they continue to attend sporting events this weekend," said the agencies' joint statement.

Turns out, it was just a joke!!!

Oh man, I tell ya... There's funny and then there's *funny*. If this guy gets any sort of prison term, him and his buddies are going to have something to laugh about for years to come. Good times!!

Edited by Cosmo-J

Do you know what he posted? I don't....but this obviously was a "rumor" that took off somehow. The fact that a public agency over-reacts (two weeks before an election, ahem) isn't necessarily the kids fault.

link to initial thread

From the ESPN story:

Dated Oct. 12, the posting was part of an ongoing conversation titled "New Attack on America Be Afraid." It appeared on a Web site called "The Friend Society," which links to various online forums and off-color cartoons.

The message said trucks would deliver radiological bombs to stadiums in New York, Miami, Atlanta, Seattle, Houston, Oakland and Cleveland -- and that Osama bin Laden would later claim responsibility.

Another Huddle link providing more info from another source

Officials were made aware of the Web posting on Oct. 16. The threat was timed to be carried out on Sunday, Oct. 22, marking the final day in Mecca of Ramadan, the Islamic holy month.

"The death toll will approach 100,000 from the initial blasts and countless other fatalities will later occur as result from radioactive fallout," according to a copy of the posting that was obtained by The Associated Press.

The bombs, according to the posting, would be delivered to the stadiums in trucks. All but one of the stadiums - Atlanta - are open-air arenas, the posting noted, adding: "Due to the open air, the radiological fallout will destroy those not killed in the initial explosion."

Explosions would be nearly simultaneous, the posting said, with the cities specifically chosen in different time zones.

The posting said that al-Qaida would automatically be blamed for the attacks and predicted, "Later, through al-Jazeera, Osama bin Laden will issue a video message claiming responsibility for what he dubbed 'America's Hiroshima."'

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder what your "over"reaction of a "rumor" might be if the government agencies didn't check this out & it turned out to be a valid threat?

& LOL even more at thinking someone (by implication a Republican, I would assume) put the dopey kid up to posting the material because it was 2 weeks before an election.

Edited by Bronco Billy

I wonder what your "over"reaction of a "rumor" might be if the government agencies didn't check this out & it turned out to be a valid threat?

They had to check it out.

If I create a website saying I am going to bomb the White House and then say it was just a little joke, what would the Secret Service do?

They would do their job and take it seriously. They have to.