[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mike Vick bags on coach, wide receivers

Fatman

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2632684

Falcons quarterback Michael Vick is beat up and sounds a little fed up after last Sunday's 27-14 loss to the Giants.

Vick returned to practice on Thursday after missing Wednesday's session with a sore shoulder, according to a report in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

The newspaper said the quarterback taped a session of Inside the NFL for HBO and told host Cris Carter that getting sacked a career-high seven times by the Giants got to him.

"It's the worst I ever felt," Vick told Carter.

During the interview, Vick blamed the game plan for the beating the Falcons took.

"You've got to throw the ball sometimes," Vick said. "You can't just line up and run the ball every time on first and second down. Teams key in on that and they have coaches, too. We're going to have to throw it more ... Coach [Jim Mora] is going have to trust in me to get it done and I'm up to the challenge to get it done."

Carter asked Vick if his old coach, Dan Reeves, was better for his game.

Vick answered: "When Reeves was here, I was 50 yards shy of 3,000 yards passing, and I was among top 15 in passing in NFL. Coach Reeves, he believed in me and gave me a chance to throw the football."

The frustrated quarterback didn't stop at questioning the coaching staff. He also wondered if he'd be better off with different teammates, specifically at wide receiver.

Carter threw out names like Chad Johnson and Randy Moss, and Vick said, "Or a Marvin Harrison. ... I always think about that, Cris. I always think, if I played in Indianapolis, what type of effect would I have on that team? Or what would I be able to do different? It's something I wish I could do for just one week."

Nice.

During the interview, Vick blamed the game plan for the beating the Falcons took.

"You've got to throw the ball sometimes," Vick said. "You can't just line up and run the ball every time on first and second down. Teams key in on that and they have coaches, too. We're going to have to throw it more ... Coach [Jim Mora] is going have to trust in me to get it done and I'm up to the challenge to get it done."

Earth to Ron Mexico:

As soon as ATL has someone playing QB who can actually consistently complete a simple 10 yd out, they may start scripting the game plan to include regular passing. But as long as one of the best RBs in the NFL insists on their delusion of granduer that they can actually play QB, expect more of the same.

In short, shut up & get a clue. The problem is you.

Vick is arguably one the most anticipated & exciting players to enter the NFL. To this day, he's still one of only a handful of players that can get me to pause my remote control just to watch him play. Granted he's not the best passer, but with his athletic ability he doesn't have to be. Defenses respect that, so I agree with Vick more passing on first & second down early would be to the Falcons benefit.

Vick is arguably one the most anticipated & exciting players to enter the NFL. To this day, he's still one of only a handful of players that can get me to pause my remote control just to watch him play. Granted he's not the best passer, but with his athletic ability he doesn't have to be. Defenses respect that, so I agree with Vick more passing on first & second down early would be to the Falcons benefit.

I would truly like to see what would happen if Vick was allowed to throw the ball 50 times in one game. I would be willing to bet he wouldn't complete more than 20 and the Falcons would lose.

I also wish TO or Moss were on his team so they could consistently hound Mr. Vick on the sideline when he continued to miss them when they were open, or why he decided to run it instead of passing it to them.

He is electrifying and obviously sells tickets, but Atlanta should trade him to Oakland for a bunch of draft picks and start Schaub.

What good do incompletions do on first and second down?

What good do incompletions do on first and second down?

Even incomplete passes make defenses respect the pass which in turn opens up the run. The Old Raiders were famous for throwing a bomb now and then. They hoped it would be completed but the main purpose was to stretch the defense.

Edited by Rockerbraves

Even incomplete passes make defenses respect the pass which in turn opens up the run. The Old Raiders were famous for throwing a bomb now and then. They hoped it would be completed but the main purpose was to stretch the defense.

The threat of a reliable passing game is what loosens up defenses - not the act of simply throwing bad passes. It's all well and good to want to throw more on first and second down, but when you can't execute effectively it makes the point moot.

Mike Vick (to use a cliche) is what he is: an amazing athlete playing quarterback. He has proven, over the course of his five full seasons in the league, that he is not an effective passer. A career 53.8 completion percentage is sub standard for anyone in the league, let alone a modified West Coast offense QB.

Send him to the Raiders. Vick can throw a deep ball inaccurately down the field. Schaub will enjoy much more success than Vick ever will.

Hence the entire misperception of Vick.

It's nice that Vick is exciting and can do amazing things with his feet. That's also the predominant part of the problem. Vick moves the ball much better running withy it than throwing it. The weakest part of his game is when he has to throw the football. That flies directly in the face of a quarterback's #1 responsibility on the football field - to distribute the football to the athletic players on the team in a position where they can use their athleticism to potentially gain additional yardage - whether that distribution involves handing the ball off to a RB, moving the ball laterally to allow a player to get to the edge before the D does in a pitch, or throwing the ball down the field.

Beacuse Vick is a poor passer, it precludes throwing a lot on first and second down, Even teams with gifted QBs limit first down throws for the simple reason that even the best QBs are unsuccessful 40% of the time, which puts the team in 2nd & long, and hence third and long, an excessive amount of time. That puts additional strain on the offense and allows the D an advantage in that it can play differently and load up on one facet of the offense - the pass - on second & third down. What that eventually leads to is a loss of field position, a lack of controlling the ball & clock, and ultimately is a recipe for losing football - especially against stronger teams, like the one ATL caatches in the playoffs.

That Vick doesn't understand this very basic concept of offensive football doesn't surprise me in the least - Vick is all about Vick. If he were a team player, he'd be playing RB and using his strongest skills to his maximum benefit & the benefit of the team. Instead, he continues to insist that he can adequately play a position that he isn't very good at for his own glorification.

So, in short, as I said before, he needs to shut up & get a clue. The problem is himself.

Normally I'd disagree with all this, but (aside from the first two games) this season has me pretty skeptical. There was more hype this offseason about Vick's maturation and chemistry with his receivers than ever before, and the passing game was finally poised to take off, etc. etc... I thought it would be like '02 all over again, excitement and success and all.

Now I'm watching the games and the fault lies on Greg Knapp (O.C.), Mike Vick, the pass protection (run blocking is doing just fine, thanks to Gibbs), and when Vick actually DOES make a decent pass our receivers DROP THE BALL! (e.g. Jenkins vs. the Giants) Hell, even Crumpler is dropping TD passes this year... which makes me think that the problem is with the way Vick is throwing the ball.

That said, Vick has not even NEARLY earned the right to gripe about his offensive teammates and coach. That really ticks me off... this guy needs to learn how the world works, fast.

It's nice that Vick is exciting and can do amazing things with his feet. That's also the predominant part of the problem. Vick moves the ball much better running withy it than throwing it. The weakest part of his game is when he has to throw the football.

Misperception?

From the mouth of Coach Mora: He draws attention and that's one of the great things about Michael that not all quarterbacks in this league have is that every single time he takes a snap, he is a threat to beat you a multitude of ways. He can throw the ball efficiently from the pocket, he can get out of the pocket and throw it, he can run it, he can stay alive for about three hours and throw it down the field, he hands it off and he's a threat coming out on a bootleg coming out the other way. So he affects the game every time he touches it, so teams have to focus on him.

Granted the weakest part of Vick's game is when he HAS TO THROW the football. Hence the reason to throw more on 1st & 2nd down. I don't think he's saying to do it often just MORA.

Misperception?

From the mouth of Coach Mora: He draws attention and that's one of the great things about Michael that not all quarterbacks in this league have is that every single time he takes a snap, he is a threat to beat you a multitude of ways. He can throw the ball efficiently from the pocket, he can get out of the pocket and throw it, he can run it, he can stay alive for about three hours and throw it down the field, he hands it off and he's a threat coming out on a bootleg coming out the other way. So he affects the game every time he touches it, so teams have to focus on him.

Granted the weakest part of Vick's game is when he HAS TO THROW the football. Hence the reason to throw more on 1st & 2nd down. I don't think he's saying to do it often just MORA.

What else is his coach going to say? I'm stuck with an athlete who can't throw the football?

The fact that he says "He can throw the ball efficiently from the pocket" shows that the quote is complete posturing and coachspeak.

I agree about the meltdown. Vick seemed a bit delusional in that interview, and it DID seem like he was bagging on Mora and WR's. He should have at least given the company line that "we need to execute better as a team", etc... but nope. Instead he agreed with Carter that he dreams about having Marvin Harrison, Chad Johnson, etc... to throw to!

Instead he agreed with Carter that he dreams about having Marvin Harrison, Chad Johnson, etc... to throw to!

I doubt that there's an NFL QB today, who hasn't dreamed about that...except for Manning & Palmer of course.

this reminds me of his interview last year with Adam Schein and John Riggins. He COMPLETELY threw his WHOLE o-line under the bus, and his WRs. He said things that Panther fans wouldn't even say about ATL :D

He's such a tool. I've been saying it for YEARS. He has no heart, and every year ATL starts off hot, and then Vick slows down, and gets lazy and then the whole team gets lazy. He proved it last year in CHI and it'll never change.

It's nice that Vick is exciting and can do amazing things with his feet. That's also the predominant part of the problem. Vick moves the ball much better running withy it than throwing it. The weakest part of his game is when he has to throw the football. That flies directly in the face of a quarterback's #1 responsibility on the football field - to distribute the football to the athletic players on the team in a position where they can use their athleticism to potentially gain additional yardage - whether that distribution involves handing the ball off to a RB, moving the ball laterally to allow a player to get to the edge before the D does in a pitch, or throwing the ball down the field.

Beacuse Vick is a poor passer, it precludes throwing a lot on first and second down, Even teams with gifted QBs limit first down throws for the simple reason that even the best QBs are unsuccessful 40% of the time, which puts the team in 2nd & long, and hence third and long, an excessive amount of time. That puts additional strain on the offense and allows the D an advantage in that it can play differently and load up on one facet of the offense - the pass - on second & third down. What that eventually leads to is a loss of field position, a lack of controlling the ball & clock, and ultimately is a recipe for losing football - especially against stronger teams, like the one ATL caatches in the playoffs.

That Vick doesn't understand this very basic concept of offensive football doesn't surprise me in the least - Vick is all about Vick. If he were a team player, he'd be playing RB and using his strongest skills to his maximum benefit & the benefit of the team. Instead, he continues to insist that he can adequately play a position that he isn't very good at for his own glorification.

So, in short, as I said before, he needs to shut up & get a clue. The problem is himself.

[/q]

Amen! Vick is a fraud. All of you who have bought into his hype and still defend him need to wise up. The dude has been in the league FOR 5 YEARS and still can't throw a football to save his life. Vick has always been about Vick. The "Michael Vick Experience" is an utter and complete failure. Give Schaub the rock and bench Vick. In fact, trade him to the CFL for someone who can throw the football.

Vick has always been over-rated. I like the year that Schaub started against the Pats and threw 3 td against them up until that point (not sure about now) Vick has never did that in a game and this is what his 5th year (I think)

The best thing about this is a reported ask Belichick if having Vick in the game would of made the difference (Pats won) The look on his face was almost like "Ya we would of won by more"

They should trade Vick and start Schaub Atlanta will never win a anything with Vick

Vick has always been over-rated. I like the year that Schaub started against the Pats and threw 3 td against them up until that point (not sure about now) Vick has never did that in a game and this is what his 5th year (I think)

The best thing about this is a reported ask Belichick if having Vick in the game would of made the difference (Pats won) The look on his face was almost like "Ya we would of won by more"

They should trade Vick and start Schaub Atlanta will never win a anything with Vick

Yes vick sucks at throwing the football, we know that. If we know that don't think the NFL brass knows also. Besides a few teams I think trading vick would be very difficult. Because of the hype his asking price would be way over value for what you are going to recieve. And I truly believe if you asked each head coach(if you can get them to answer honestly) they would not want vick as there starting qb if given a choice and they will never get a top wr thru FA because they don't want vick attempting to throw them the ball on a regular basis.

Earth to Ron Mexico:

As soon as ATL has someone playing QB who can actually consistently complete a simple 10 yd out, they may start scripting the game plan to include regular passing. But as long as one of the best RBs in the NFL insists on their delusion of granduer that they can actually play QB, expect more of the same.

In short, shut up & get a clue. The problem is you.

Is that why Jenkins and crew drop all those passes. Maybe if they could run fast AND CATCH Vick might complete a pass. I saw Crumpler drop 2 in the endzone in one quarter (monday night game weeks ago)

Is that why Jenkins and crew drop all those passes. Maybe if they could run fast AND CATCH Vick might complete a pass. I saw Crumpler drop 2 in the endzone in one quarter (monday night game weeks ago)

:D

Right, Atlanta has just had the longest streak of bad luck. every WR aquired via Free Agency, Draft or trade has just been uinable to catch a pass. Otherwise, Vick would be OK. Has nothign to do with a WR being unable to establish a RHYTHM with him since he can't stay in a pocket or throw consistantly down field.

You have an apology excuse reason why it's that woman's fault for catching herpes from him?

:D

Right, Atlanta has just had the longest streak of bad luck. every WR aquired via Free Agency, Draft or trade has just been uinable to catch a pass. Otherwise, Vick would be OK. Has nothign to do with a WR being unable to establish a RHYTHM with him since he can't stay in a pocket or throw consistantly down field.

You have an apology excuse reason why it's that woman's fault for catching herpes from him?

I understand what you're saying here TVH, but Scooby does have a point.

Lets take a look at the WR's Vick has had over the years

Jenkins

White

Lelie

Finneran

Pathon

D. White

Price

T.Edwards

Jefferson

W. Jackson

T. Martin

Mathis

Not exactly a who's who of good WR's is it?

Relatively inaccurate QB with so so WR's = recipe for disaster in the passing game.

When a Quarterbacks WR's are constantly making plays like this, it's pretty much guaranteed to make the QB look bad in the boxscore & effect his year end completion%. If you didn't actually get to see the game, it simply shows up as an incompletion - even via the play-by-play. You would never know that another 40 odd yards passing & a TD was missed, because the WR dropped the ball.

BTW, that dropped TD by Jenkins, is NOT an isolated incident. If you watched the nationally televised Monday Night game against the Saints, you would've seen Crump drop the easy TD in that game as well. Don't know how he dropped that one, no DB on him, had it right in his hands & then just flat out dropped it. Roddy White had a pass hit him in the hands at the Giants 1 yard line, which then caromed off for the Pick. Unfortunately watching all the Falcons games, I get to see a lot of that. :D

I don't know what it is this year, but the usually sure handed Crump is dropping a lot of balls, while Jenkins & White do not seem to have progressed as much as I thought they would've.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Vick is blameless here, dude can't seem to complete a touch pass to save his life, but to put it ALL on Vick, would be incorrect.

Oh! And an FYI on the Herpes thing.

The case was dropped when the Gold Digger got her money, while the DA's office failed to pick it up & pursue it...get this...for lack of evidence. A Herpes test is a pretty simple & accurate test to administer, no?