[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Oh Peyton

DMD

Nope. And that's why the "can't win the big one" tag applied to Peyton, Marino, Fouts, Tarkenton, etc. is complete BS.

I don't want to get into a debate over this, but in Peyton's case specifically he has played some really bad games in some really big games. He has tossed away some Colts opportunities in the playoffs almost singlehandedly, even when the defense has played well.

And he has also created those opportunities. He has done a ton in the NFL, and I think he deserves to be recognized as one of the top players at his position to ever play the game. But that label has some basis in the reality of the efforts he has produced in some big contests.

If Tom Brady put up games like he did against Denver in last year's playoffs his first few seasons in the NFL, he would have the same issue and would be considered a mediocre QB at best.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

skins, you even acknowledge contact to Manning's head. That's a automatic penalty.

Dungy didn't complain?

Dungy almost never complains about calls, but after the game, he wondered what the officials were watching.

"The only issue I had was, (referee) Scott Green told me anytime you hit the quarterback in the head, it's a 15-yard penalty,'' Dungy said. "I asked him, our quarterback's helmet came off and it wasn't a penalty. I didn't really get an explanation."

Manning didn't complain?

"The guy (Daniels) wouldn't let go of my head,'' Manning said later, sporting a slightly swollen lip. "I looked at my helmet to see if my head was in there. He just wouldn't let go. The ref actually apologized and said he missed it, that he was watching the ball. . . . It kind of put my body in an awkward position.''

Both quotes are in today's Indianapolis Star.

It was a penalty. It was missed. Sit down.

I don't want to get into a debate over this, but in Peyton's case specifically he has played some really bad games in some really big games. He has tossed away some Colts opportunities in the playoffs almost singlehandedly, even when the defense has played well.

And he has also created those opportunities. He has done a ton in the NFL, and I think he deserves to be recognized as one of the top players at his position to ever play the game. But that label has some basis in the reality of the efforts he has produced in some big contests.

If Tom Brady put up games like he did against Denver in last year's playoffs his first few seasons in the NFL, he would have the same issue and would be considered a mediocre QB at best.

Fair enough.

skins, you even acknowledge contact to Manning's head. That's a automatic penalty.

Dungy didn't complain?

Dungy almost never complains about calls, but after the game, he wondered what the officials were watching.

"The only issue I had was, (referee) Scott Green told me anytime you hit the quarterback in the head, it's a 15-yard penalty,'' Dungy said. "I asked him, our quarterback's helmet came off and it wasn't a penalty. I didn't really get an explanation."

Manning didn't complain?

"The guy (Daniels) wouldn't let go of my head,'' Manning said later, sporting a slightly swollen lip. "I looked at my helmet to see if my head was in there. He just wouldn't let go. The ref actually apologized and said he missed it, that he was watching the ball. . . . It kind of put my body in an awkward position.''

Both quotes are in today's Indianapolis Star.

It was a penalty. It was missed. Sit down.

Automatic penalty? There were a bunch of refs out there and none was even remotely inclined to call that a penalty. You just like quoting the one ref who admits he didnt even see the play.

Is contact to the head a penalty where the initial contact wasnt to the head? And Manning's helmet looked like it came off when his head whipped forward, not even from contact with the arm. Noone grabbed Manning, it was just a rough hit. Noone twisted his helmet off.

Captain, that was a totally clean hit. He didnt hit him in the face, which is against the rules, he hit him in the upper chest. Manning's face got dragged across his arm by the weight of the other player.

The hit was perfectly clean, and if the league reviews it--which I doubt--nothing will come of it.

Edited by skins

Automatic penalty? There were a bunch of refs out there and none was even remotely inclined to call that a penalty. You just like quoting the one ref who admits he didnt even see the play.

Is contact to the head a penalty where the initial contact wasnt to the head? And Manning's helmet looked like it came off when his head whipped forward, not even from contact with the arm. Noone grabbed Manning, it was just a rough hit. Noone twisted his helmet off.

Captain, that was a totally clean hit. He didnt hit him in the face, which is against the rules, he hit him in the upper chest. Manning's face got dragged across his arm by the weight of the other player.

The hit was perfectly clean, and if the league reviews it--which I doubt--nothing will come of it.

:D "Manning's face got dragged across his arm" :D

OMG, I can't freakin' believe you typed that! :bash::clap:

I don't know which game you were watching, but in the one I saw yesterday afternoon, Daniels basically gave Peyton a "reverse-face mask" and tried to rip his head off from behind. He succeeded in tearing off his helmet and cutting his forehead. That was intentional, as were Santana Moss' little temper tantrums.

The Foreskins are a bunch of little punk b!tches who play dirty when they're getting beat. And your pathetic attempt at justifying their behavior is laughable.

Edited by Bill Swerski

I don't know which game you were watching, but in the one I saw yesterday afternoon, Daniels basically gave Peyton a "reverse-face mask" and tried to rip his head off from behind. He succeeded in tearing off his helmet and cutting his forehead. That was intentional, as were Santana Moss' little temper tantrums.

The Foreskins are a bunch of little punk b!tches who play dirty when they're getting beat. And your pathetic attempt at justifying their behavior is laughable.

:D Yer an idiot. Daniels forearm was on Manning's chest not behind him.

"Reverse face mask"?? Take a hike, dummy. At least let those of us who actually saw it discuss it.

No other official on the field is responsible for a roughing call except the head referee. He was the one who said he missed it. He thought it was a penalty after seeing the replay. And he made up for it later when Marcus Washington was blocked into Manning's legs, and called that roughing.

Doesn't matter now. I don't think it was a cheap shot. Just two guys going after the QB. But by the definition of the rules, it was roughing. Any contact to the QB's head while in the pocket is a :D

Edited by CaptainHook

:D Yer an idiot. Daniels forearm was on Manning's chest not behind him.

I never said that Daniels' forearm was "behind him", you moran. Daniels' hand moved to Manning's facemask and ripped off his helmet from behind.

"Reverse face mask"?? Take a hike, dummy. At least let those of us who actually saw it discuss it.

Do the world a favor and remove yourself from the gene pool.

$50.00 says no fine.

Dang. Shoulda taken that bet. Oh well.

At least the NFL thought it was a penalty too.

Washington Redskins defensive end Phillip Daniels has been fined $5,000 for his hit against Colts quarterback Peyton Manning in Sunday's game.

A league spokesman said Daniels was fined for unnecessary roughness, in this instance striking the opposing quarterback in the neck area on a pass play. Daniels hit Manning high, prying Manning's helmet off, while teammate Andre Carter hit Manning low. Neither player was penalized.

from Indianapolis Star

Edited by CaptainHook

Peyton Manning couldn't win the "big" game when he played for the Vols in college, why would it be different in the pros?

It won't be different because he's always had talent, even in college. Maybe he just needs to play on a team with no talent for a change. Then he might win the big one.