[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Any Tips on Handling Bad Owners

lsugrad00

We have an owner in my local league who for two straight weeks has started more than one player that was on a bye week when he had players on the bench that could have started in their place.

This week he only lost by 10 points to the guy who is tied for the lead in our league and started Joe Horn and Steven Jackson while leaving H Ward and W Dunn on the bench.

The other guys in the league are trying to kick him out and get another owner to take over his team. Does anyone have any tips on how to handle bad owners other than give them the boot?

Thanks

How about a detailed set of rules?

This year one of my leagues instituted a $15 fine for starting players on bye. Some owners choose to eat the fine if they really don't want to drop someone to fill the bye. The rules not perfect, but it helps, and everyone is happy with it.

Also just tell the guy he's a cock for making the league less fun for everyone else. Guys like that should be made to feel maximum shame.

How about a detailed set of rules?

This year one of my leagues instituted a $15 fine for starting players on bye. Some owners choose to eat the fine if they really don't want to drop someone to fill the bye. The rules not perfect, but it helps, and everyone is happy with it.

If he doesn't set his line-up, do you think he's gonna pay the fine? No--it's a good idea to have your rules state that if you start a player that has a bye, the commissioner will set your line-up via fantasty sharks or own judgement. Kick the bastage out now and finish his season...

I started a bye week player in my local this week. My only TE is Todd Heap and not only did I not want to cut somebody loose from my squad, I did not perceive that there was any TE on the waiver wire worth the $6 transaction fee.

I also thought my opponent was weak. He will likely defeat me this week, but the acquisition of a TE probably wouldn't have made a difference. I could have picked up and of:

1. 70. Kelly, Reginald CIN TE 12.40 Free Agent - Add 5

2. 71. Manumaleuna, Brandon SDC TE 12.40 Free Agent - Add 3

3. 81. Martin, David GBP TE 11.10 Free Agent - Add 6

4. 98. Mangum, Kris CAR TE 10.10 Free Agent - Add 9

5. 101. Daniels, Owen HOU TE 10.00 Free Agent - Add 5

6. 106. Wilson, Kris KCC TE 9.30 Free Agent - Add 3

7. 107. Utecht, Ben IND TE 9.20 Free Agent - Add (Q) 6

8. 115. Anderson, Courtney OAK TE 8.50 Free Agent - Add 3

9. 137. Royal, Robert BUF TE 7.60 Free Agent - Add 8

10. 154. Fletcher, Bryan IND TE 5.80 Free Agent - Add 6

11. 159. Stewart, Tony CIN TE 5.30 Free Agent - Add 5

12. 195. Campbell, Daniel DET TE 3.20 Free Agent - Add 8

13. 197. Tuman, Jerame PIT TE 3.10 Free Agent - Add 4

14. 199. Heiden, Steve CLE TE 3.00 Free Agent - Add 6

15. 211. Owens, Richard MIN TE 2.50 Free Agent - Add 6

16. 223. Pollard, Marcus DET TE 1.90 Free Agent - Add 8

17. 224. Ryan, Sean NYJ TE 1.90 Free Agent - Add 9

18. 227. Schobel, Matt PHI TE 1.80 Free Agent - Add 9

19. 237. Kleinsasser, Jim MIN TE 1.30 Free Agent - Add 6

20. 238. Mili, Itula SEA TE 1.30 Free Agent - Add 5

21. 241. Becht, Anthony TBB TE 1.10 Free Agent - Add (Q) 4

I'm going to lose because I benched Favre for Leinart, Jennings got hurt, Coles had an off week, Akers is sucking, and Indy's defense is sucking AND he had Hines Ward.

I started a bye week player in my local this week. My only TE is Todd Heap and not only did I not want to cut somebody loose from my squad, I did not perceive that there was any TE on the waiver wire worth the $6 transaction fee.

I also thought my opponent was weak. He will likely defeat me this week, but the acquisition of a TE probably wouldn't have made a difference. I could have picked up and of:

1. 70. Kelly, Reginald CIN TE 12.40 Free Agent - Add 5

2. 71. Manumaleuna, Brandon SDC TE 12.40 Free Agent - Add 3

3. 81. Martin, David GBP TE 11.10 Free Agent - Add 6

4. 98. Mangum, Kris CAR TE 10.10 Free Agent - Add 9

5. 101. Daniels, Owen HOU TE 10.00 Free Agent - Add 5

6. 106. Wilson, Kris KCC TE 9.30 Free Agent - Add 3

7. 107. Utecht, Ben IND TE 9.20 Free Agent - Add (Q) 6

8. 115. Anderson, Courtney OAK TE 8.50 Free Agent - Add 3

9. 137. Royal, Robert BUF TE 7.60 Free Agent - Add 8

10. 154. Fletcher, Bryan IND TE 5.80 Free Agent - Add 6

11. 159. Stewart, Tony CIN TE 5.30 Free Agent - Add 5

12. 195. Campbell, Daniel DET TE 3.20 Free Agent - Add 8

13. 197. Tuman, Jerame PIT TE 3.10 Free Agent - Add 4

14. 199. Heiden, Steve CLE TE 3.00 Free Agent - Add 6

15. 211. Owens, Richard MIN TE 2.50 Free Agent - Add 6

16. 223. Pollard, Marcus DET TE 1.90 Free Agent - Add 8

17. 224. Ryan, Sean NYJ TE 1.90 Free Agent - Add 9

18. 227. Schobel, Matt PHI TE 1.80 Free Agent - Add 9

19. 237. Kleinsasser, Jim MIN TE 1.30 Free Agent - Add 6

20. 238. Mili, Itula SEA TE 1.30 Free Agent - Add 5

21. 241. Becht, Anthony TBB TE 1.10 Free Agent - Add (Q) 4

I'm going to lose because I benched Favre for Leinart, Jennings got hurt, Coles had an off week, Akers is sucking, and Indy's defense is sucking AND he had Hines Ward.

Understand your situation--but did you do this 2 straight weeks and the rest of your league perceive you as tanking? No...

If he doesn't set his line-up, do you think he's gonna pay the fine? No--it's a good idea to have your rules state that if you start a player that has a bye, the commissioner will set your line-up via fantasty sharks or own judgement. Kick the bastage out now and finish his season...

The fine doesn't need to be collected. It comes out of fees paid at the beginning of the season. Owners pay a league fee plus a free agent budget. The fine would come out of the free agent budget. At the end of the year they get back the unused portion, along with any payouts.

I'm sure the system isn't perfect and there's still room for trouble - if the free agent budget has already been exhausted, for example. But it works for us - maybe because it's not a small-money league, and everyone generally has respect for each other and the league as a whole.

Where I've seen problems is with free or nickel-and-dime leaugues - and office leagues. I'm in one of those now and it's getting on my nerves. Only about half the league is really playing. Don't plan to be back in that one next year.

Edited by TheCMB