[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

For your Bears Fix on their Byw Week.....

Pope Flick

They score on Offense, when they're down late in the game.

Vikings fans, avert your eyes - it probably still hurts. This was one of the best moments from that '85 team.

Good stuff, Pope! One of the better 'O' comebacks, if not the fastest! That block by Walter on the first one was awesome! :D

I remember that play. The amazing thing about it was the block that Payton threw on the blitzing linebacker. According to an interview with Payton, he was supposed to be responsible for blocking on the edge, but saw the linebacker coming up the middle at the last second. If he doesn't make the block, no TD.

I remember that play. The amazing thing about it was the block that Payton threw on the blitzing linebacker. According to an interview with Payton, he was supposed to be responsible for blocking on the edge, but saw the linebacker coming up the middle at the last second. If he doesn't make the block, no TD.

Yea, that Payton guy was not bad at all, not bad at all. There may have never been a more instinctive player to ever lace them up and that play demonstrates that. Payton played for 13 years at running back, behind no pro bowlers until his 11th season, for a team that could not pass worth crap, running it 25, 30, 30+ times a game and missed ONE SINGLE GAME back in the 1970s because he had a very high temperature and the Coach (Pardee I think) would not let him play, though Payton wanted to.

No contract disputes, no drugs, no crap in hotel rooms with hookers...even failed to exploit the racist cops in Mississippi who basically killed his father (talk about turning the other cheek). Dude was all man and as a Bear fan I'll never forget him. I was proud to have watched him run the football and I make sure my son who likes football will know who this man was.

Edited by kwolf68

At the risk of hijacking Pope, I like your sig quote from the always humble Sweetness. I've never read the Jim Brown biographies. Has there ever been any explanation as to why JB was so dominant vs. the other pros of his time? Did they measure 40 times, body fat, etc. back then?

That is, is he that special of a physical specimen? Or did he just work out like crazy in the off season, back when many of them used to get lazy or work blue collar jobs in the off season? Or did he study tapes of defensive tendencies with his coaches, back when no one else did, or what??

That is, is he that special of a physical specimen? Or did he just work out like crazy in the off season, back when many of them used to get lazy or work blue collar jobs in the off season? Or did he study tapes of defensive tendencies with his coaches, back when no one else did, or what??

I believe the answer is "yes."

Payton was by no means some guy who ONLY made it through hard work and diligence, etc - but he wasn't exactly a Bo Jackson type physical specimen - he didn't have the amazing size or blazing speed, but he was big enough, fast enough, and strong enough - and had enough of all three attributes that the package was a bit greater than the sum of its parts. Combine that with his will, desire, and work ethic....

...well, I've always said Walter Payton would have been a Pro Bowler at ANY position you'd put him at. Just a prototype for a football player.

I believe the answer is "yes."

Payton was by no means some guy who ONLY made it through hard work and diligence, etc - but he wasn't exactly a Bo Jackson type physical specimen - he didn't have the amazing size or blazing speed, but he was big enough, fast enough, and strong enough - and had enough of all three attributes that the package was a bit greater than the sum of its parts. Combine that with his will, desire, and work ethic....

...well, I've always said Walter Payton would have been a Pro Bowler at ANY position you'd put him at. Just a prototype for a football player.

I think one way of looking at it is that Payton basically invented the "modern workout" and combined with his heart, focus and simple raw ability made him the type of Team Player that he was. There are many stories of one of the Bears wanting to workout with him, and they were usually puking after one or two times up the hill, while he went up and down it another 20 times laughing at them.