[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Who's jerseys would you want to put up in your son's room?

muck

I was just thinking about some great athletes across several sports, thinking of getting a couple of jersey's for my sons' room. There seem to be more "guys who were elite at their sport" who's off field behavior I know very little about than I initially suspected. Are there any players that jump out at you as being potential guys for a list like this?

Meaning, Roger Clemens and Randy Johnson are obviously elite pitchers, but what is their off-field story? What about Walter Payton, Tom Brady or Marvin Harrison ... widely assumed to have been high-quality guys, but is that real? The only one I'm pretty sure about that is definately clean is Reggie White.

...etc...

...I'm thinking about a few Christmas presents...and am trying to plan early.

PS - A few specific guys I'm interested in any 'dirt' you may have inlcude Larry Bird, Bill Russell and David Robinson in basketball, Albert Pujols, Alex Rodriguez, Greg Maddux and Derek Jeter in baseball, Shaun Alexander, Matt Hasslebeck, Troy Palomalu, Priest Holmes, Tiki & Ronde Barber in football.

PPS - I'm also looking for any additional suggestions for players in any sport I should look at...they don't have to be current players ... just real high quality guys who were elite at their sport.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just thinking about some great athletes across several sports, thinking of getting a couple of jersey's for my sons' room. There seem to be more "guys who were elite at their sport" who's off field behavior I know very little about than I initially suspected. Are there any players that jump out at you as being potential guys for a list like this?

Meaning, Roger Clemens and Randy Johnson are obviously elite pitchers, but what is their off-field story? What about Walter Payton, Tom Brady or Marvin Harrison ... widely assumed to have been high-quality guys, but is that real? The only one I'm pretty sure about that is definately clean is Reggie White.

...etc...

...I'm thinking about a few Christmas presents...and am trying to plan early.

PS - A few specific guys I'm interested in any 'dirt' you may have inlcude Larry Bird, Bill Russell and David Robinson in basketball, Albert Pujols, Alex Rodriguez, Greg Maddux and Derek Jeter in baseball, Shaun Alexander, Matt Hasslebeck, Troy Palomalu, Priest Holmes, Tiki & Ronde Barber in football.

PPS - I'm also looking for any additional suggestions for players in any sport I should look at...they don't have to be current players ... just real high quality guys who were elite at their sport.

List looks pretty solid to me.

As far as other sports, I did play a pretty mean game of tetherball in 6th grade, so perhaps one of my powder blue throw-back spamshirts could work eh? :D

Edited by Cunning Runt

One you can count on to live up to both on field/and off field good guy:

Gehrig

Sweetness

Largent

Eddie George

David Robinson

DiMaggio (all three of them)

Hondo (if you have to ask then nevermind)

There are others but these come to mind quickly.

Well, let's just rule out all WR's right off the bat. :bash:

How about Joe Montana? :D

For a stand up guy and a great all around baseball player, the Twins' Joe Mauer is a nice pick (first Catcher to win the batting title... ever?). :D

Boy, there are plenty. For high character guys, how about throwing in the overcoming adversity and persistence angle?

Baseball: Aaron, Robinson, Gehrig

Football: Favre, VYoung (a newbie who he might like to follow his career).

This is just a start. Now these guys aren't necessarily perfect, but I don't think that is the point....

Emmitt was said..Id also say Roger Staubach..Pat Tillman...Carson Palmer..Cal Ripken Jr..Derrick Jeter..Warrick Dunn..Jerry Rice..Mark Messier..Barry Sanders

Edited by whomper

I'd like to give my son a Kobe Bryant jersey. I admire the way that Kobe identifies his object of desire and then aggresively goes after and takes it. The man isn't intimidated at all by the criminal or civil trials that await him from his aggresive actions. Hopefully my son could learn these traits from Kobe.

Edited by Jumpin Johnies

I'd like to give my son a Kobe Bryant jersey. I admire the way that Kobe identifies his object of desire and then aggresively goes after and takes it. The man isn't intimidated at all by the criminal or civil trials that await him from his aggresive actions. Hopefully my son could learn these traits from Kobe.

I don't know you well enough JJ, so I have to ask - R U serious??

Oh..and of course id include a TimC jersey

i would choose his Vette club handle

" ASSMan"

That's "Mr. ASSMan"...autographed spamshirts are an extra $2.50.

Pat Tillman would be a fantastic one. As well as Emmitt, Aikman, Staubach, Dorsett, Irv...