[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Romo Time

Grits and Shins

I'll tell you one thing, Parcell's better make up his mind right away and not dick around with this decision too much, because if he's thinking about going with Romo, he better get him practicing with the first team offense sooner rather than later.

I think there's a possibility that he was just showing mercy for Bledsoe, who could obviously not escape the blitz behind that porous line. It's possible that Bledsoe may be the starter again next week.

But, as uncharacteristic as this is for Parcells, I think that he's just given up on this team. Their O-line can't do anything right and look like the bums in Arizona. Their defensive front 7 can't stop the run to save their lives. He looked completely worn down and defeated in the post-game interview. I think that Romo's the starter from here on out and that The Tuna retires after this season.

As for Bledsoe, I think that he still has another year or two left in him. He's a competent QB if he has effective pass-blocking in front of him. But if he can't find a starting job next season, I think that he retires as well. I don't see him accepting a backup role after losing starting jobs to Brady and Romo.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there's a possibility that he was just showing mercy for Bledsoe, who could obviously not escape the blitz behind that porous line. It's possible that Bledsoe may be the starter again next week.

But, as uncharacteristic as this is for Parcells, I think that he's just given up on this team. Their O-line can't do anything right and look like the bums in Arizona. Their defensive front 7 can't stop the run to save their lives. He looked completely worn down and defeated in the post-game interview. I think that Romo's the starter from here on out and that The Tuna retires after this season.

As for Bledsoe, I think that he still has another year or two left in him. He's a competent QB if he has effective pass-blocking in front of him. But if he can't find a starting job next season, I think that he retires as well. I don't see him accepting a backup role after losing starting jobs to Brady and Romo.

Your points about the O line are true but he has also made some horrific passes even when he has had time. He is costing Dallas games. You have to work with the cards you are dealt. Romo was able to elude that rush a few times and make some plays where drew would have just took an easy sack. Parcells face told the whole strory when Drew threw that pick before the half. He killed the momentum and let the air out of the stadium. That play and TOs drop where 2 crucial and tremendously costly plays.

I agree with you Bill. The Tuna is headed to the big casserole in the sky. Romo will get his chance for better or worse. Probably worse, but the evaluation needs to occur with him. Dallas certainly will need to look at drafting someone early and bringing them along.

Their QB assessment process has been a stinker tho. Signed Hutch / Henson. Both gone. Drafted QC....Gone. What's needed is and early first round pick, and they may just be headed there at this point.

Keep in mind that Romo was put in a tough situation. He was forced to throw and pressed a bit. Give him a chance to start a game where you can mix in some runs and I think he'll cut down on those mistakes. He still has the gunslinger mentality like a Favre or Grossman, but that means he's just as likely to throw 4 TDs as he is 4 INTs. And that's a nice net gain for people like me who drafted Trent Green.

Your points about the O line are true but he has also made some horrific passes even when he has had time. He is costing Dallas games. You have to work with the cards you are dealt. Romo was able to elude that rush a few times and make some plays where drew would have just took an easy sack. Parcells face told the whole strory when Drew threw that pick before the half. He killed the momentum and let the air out of the stadium. That play and TOs drop where 2 crucial and tremendously costly plays.

No doubt that Bledsoe makes stupid mistakes, but Romo is going to be even worse. THREE picks in the second half against a not-very-good Giants secondary playing softly with a big lead? As a passer, Bledsoe is much better than Romo in this point in their careers. The downside to Drew, obviously, is that he's a freaking statue in the pocket who holds onto the ball too long. Romo is definitely the QB of the future and I think that he has a ton of upside, but he's going to cost them more games right now than Bledsoe will.

The Tuna is headed to the big casserole in the sky.

:D

No doubt that Bledsoe makes stupid mistakes, but Romo is going to be even worse. THREE picks in the second half against a not-very-good Giants secondary playing softly with a big lead? As a passer, Bledsoe is much better than Romo in this point in their careers. The downside to Drew, obviously, is that he's a freaking statue in the pocket who holds onto the ball too long. Romo is definitely the QB of the future and I think that he has a ton of upside, but he's going to cost them more games right now than Bledsoe will.

:D

One of those 3 picks was tipped.

At any rate, with the O-line issues, I really don't think Bledsoe is the better passer. If the O-line was solid, then I'd agree with you. But working with what they have, I give the nod to Romo. His ability to elude the rush and keep plays alive is a necessity, and Bledsoe can't do that. Bledsoe had 3 picks, 2 fumbles, 4 three and outs and zero TDs against a Philly secondary that is average. Bledsoe has problems keeping drives alive. 3 and outs are common for him. While Romo did poorly taking care of the ball - same as Bledsoe - he had no 3 and out series. That says something IMO.

The funny thing is, just before Bledsoe's final INT, the Cowboys had run about 4 or 5 short runs in a row. Thiesmann even commented on how he liked the conservative playcalling down in the red zone with less than 2 minutes left in the half. As soon as I heard that, I thought to myself... here it comes. :D

I don't know if I actually willed the turnover to take place, but I definitely saw it in my mind a full 30 seconds before it occurred. Sorry about that Drew. My bad.

One of those 3 picks was tipped.

At any rate, with the O-line issues, I really don't think Bledsoe is the better passer. If the O-line was solid, then I'd agree with you. But working with what they have, I give the nod to Romo. His ability to elude the rush and keep plays alive is a necessity, and Bledsoe can't do that. Bledsoe had 3 picks, 2 fumbles, 4 three and outs and zero TDs against a Philly secondary that is average. Bledsoe has problems keeping drives alive. 3 and outs are common for him. While Romo did poorly taking care of the ball - same as Bledsoe - he had no 3 and out series. That says something IMO.

You may be right about Romo being the more effective passer because of his scrambling ability. I imagine that he'll have less three-and-outs, but he'll probably turn the ball over more than Bledsoe. It's pick your poison, I guess.

Either way, the Cowboys and pretty much out of it at this point. Even if Romo is the next Tom Brady, he doesn't have the pass- or run-blocking in front of him to go deep into the playoffs.

You may be right about Romo being the more effective passer because of his scrambling ability. I imagine that he'll have less three-and-outs, but he'll probably turn the ball over more than Bledsoe. It's pick your poison, I guess.

Either way, the Cowboys and pretty much out of it at this point. Even if Romo is the next Tom Brady, he doesn't have the pass- or run-blocking in front of him to go deep into the playoffs.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with the last statement :D Pretty bleak season ahead when you add on to the fact that the defense can't stop a decent offense either.

isn't it something that everyone here bashing Romo saw the kid play for 2 hours. Against a good team who has an above average pass rush. Yeah, he must be putrid beause he came off the bench, behind in the score, against the team that sacked Vick 7 times the week before. Some of you guys crack me up. :D

Edited by HowboutthemCowboys

isn't it something that everyone here bashing Romo saw the kid play for 2 hours. Against a good team who has an above average pass rush. Yeah, he must be putrid beause he came off the bench, behind in the score, against the team that sacked Vick 7 times the week before. Some of you guys crack me up. :D

I agree ... however, I'm not ready to put him in the HoF yet either.

Romo faced a not-very-good Giants secondary playing very soft zone coverage last night when they were up by 19 in the third quarter. But, yeah, Romo looked like Brady Jr. throwing those 3 picks against them.

And isn't it something that all of the Cowboys homers just KNOW that Romo will do a much better job than Bledsoe. Because, you know, he did such a fantastic job against vanilla second-string defenses in the preseason. And, of course, he absolutely rocked last night. :D

Be careful of what you ask. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Edited by Bill Swerski

Romo faced a not-very-good Giants secondary playing very soft zone coverage last night when they were up by 19 in the third quarter. But, yeah, Romo looked like Brady Jr. throwing those 3 picks against them.

And isn't it something that all of the Cowboys homers just KNOW that Romo will do a much better job than Bledsoe. Because, you know, he did such a fantastic job against vanilla second-string defenses in the preseason. And, of course, he absolutely rocked last night. :D

this is exactly what I'm talking about. Never said he'd be Brady-like nor did I ever ask for him to be the Cowboy's QB. But I think I'll reserve judgement on him until I see him play a little more.

this is exactly what I'm talking about. Never said he'd be Brady-like nor did I ever ask for him to be the Cowboy's QB. But I think I'll reserve judgement on him until I see him play a little more.

Hell, I'll reserve judgement for him two years down the line. But I'm getting sick of the "ANYBODY would be better than Bledsoe" line. Bledsoe isn't the problem.

Hell, I'll reserve judgement for him two years down the line. But I'm getting sick of the "ANYBODY would be better than Bledsoe" line. Bledsoe isn't the problem.

behind that O-line if they keep playing the way they did last night and against Philly it won't matter who's back there. But the int. at the goal line last night and the one at the goalline against philly are on Drew. Parcells said last night after the game that the play where Drew was picked by Madison last night was supposed to be thrown to the other side of the field...

I'm not trying to blame the poor play of the Cowboys all on Bledsoe, but if Parcells thinks Romo will play better.... :D

behind that O-line if they keep playing the way they did last night and against Philly it won't matter who's back there. But the int. at the goal line last night and the one at the goalline against philly are on Drew.

And two of the three picks in the second half of last night's game are on Romo. That's not any better.

Parcells said last night after the game that the play where Drew was picked by Madison last night was supposed to be thrown to the other side of the field...

I'm not trying to blame the poor play of the Cowboys all on Bledsoe, but if Parcells thinks Romo will play better.... :D

IMO, Parcells thinks that the Cowboys are toast. Their O-line is wretched and their defense isn't nearly as good as they were expected to be a month and a half ago. A team like that isn't going anywhere, so Parcells most likely figures that it's time to get Romo some reps and prepare him for next season.

Cowboy fan here and I have consistently proclaimed that I don't believe Romo will be the saviour everybody thinks he will. He will make rookie mistakes and if by some miracle Dallas does make the playoffs they won't go far with Romo at the helm.

ALL YOU COWBOY HATERS KEEP HATING......AS A TRUE COWBOY FAN BLEDSOE LACKS CONFIDENCE, AS A 14 YEAR VET CONFIDENCE SHOULD'NT BE A PROBLEM .....I LIVE IN NEW ENGLAND AND THE PATRIOT FAN CAN ATTEST, HAVING BLEDSOE AS YOUR QUARTERBACK IS PURE AGONY.........GO ROMO....CHURCH