[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Big Ben appears ready to roll again at QB

Menudo

Also, for the Roethlisberger haters, here are his numbers in the last two games. Keep in mind that all but two of his passes and 12 of his yards were in the first half of those games. I think his early problems had to do with his lack of reps in camp:

Over the past two games, Roethlisberger completed 32 of 41 passes for 476 yards, five touchdowns and no interceptions. That produced a near-perfect passer rating of 154.62 with an average gain per attempt of 11.6 yards, about double what he had through his first three games.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06298/732710-66.stm

Big Ben appears ready to roll again at QB

His medical tests come back OK

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Not only are the chances good Ben Roethlisberger will start in Oakland Sunday, he might even return to practice when the Steelers begin preparing today for the Raiders.

"We'll see how he feels," coach Bill Cowher said yesterday.

After all, what's a little smack to the head by a 277-pound defensive end after you've been splattered all over Second Avenue? Roethlisberger keeps on ticking, through a broken face from his June 12 motorcycle accident, a Sept. 3 appendectomy and now a mild concussion from Sunday's game in Atlanta.

Yesterday, he acknowledged he's tired of visiting doctors after enduring a series of tests Sunday night and Monday in which he came through with another passing grade.

"He had an MRI done on his brain and neck. Both of those came back normal," Cowher said. "We also did the impact test, the concussion test. We're very encouraged by the results. We'll monitor his progress as the week goes on."

And, in case anyone missed it, Cowher repeated, "Again, I emphasize that we're very encouraged by where he's at as we speak today."

Cowher officially will list his quarterback as "questionable" on the injury list today and that officially means he has a 50 percent chance of playing. Unofficially, it's probably up to the quarterback himself, and he has a history of going full steam ahead.

So, after another glitch, Roethlisberger can try to maintain the momentum he has had the past two weeks before Atlanta's Chauncey Davis played helmet tag with him in the third quarter Sunday, which should wind up being a costly game for the Falcons' defensive end when the NFL announces his fine this week.

Over the past two games, Roethlisberger completed 32 of 41 passes for 476 yards, five touchdowns and no interceptions. That produced a near-perfect passer rating of 154.62 with an average gain per attempt of 11.6 yards, about double what he had through his first three games.

"Obviously we've been throwing the ball very well and not turning it over," Cowher said. "I think that's a big thing. We've cut down on the interceptions."

Roethlisberger seemed to be a different quarterback the past two games than he was in his first three, which came after he missed the opener because of his appendectomy. He threw seven interceptions in those three games and no touchdowns.

"He's looked very comfortable and the receivers have done a good job running crisp routes," Cowher said. "I see us throwing the ball before a guy gets out of a break. And that's when I know we're starting to get our timing back.

"That's been a carryover from practices -- they've gotten better from that standpoint. He's played well and our offense has played well the last couple of weeks."

Roethlisberger's agent, Ryan Tollner, explained that entering his third season Roethlisberger wasn't just trying to get over the injuries from his motorcycle accident and then the appendectomy. He wanted to improve upon his first two seasons in the league, to become a better quarterback than he was last season.

In the past two games, Roethlisberger did that. Will his latest crash course derail that, or will it be just another bump in the road?

While Roethlisberger passed all the necessary medical tests, he must pass them again before he suits up in Oakland.

"He took the test and will take the test again later in the week to make sure he is cleared medically before we would subject him to playing," Cowher said. "But we are encouraged by where he was yesterday and how he felt today. But again, it's too early to make a final decision on that. We will definitely do so by taking all necessary precautions to make sure he is cleared."

While he's been playing alot more like himself lately, I still think they should play Batch against Oakland. Ben needs to rest.

No kidding. They need to sit Ben down while the schedule is easy. Why risk him against Oakland? Batch is capable.

No kidding. They need to sit Ben down while the schedule is easy. Why risk him against Oakland? Batch is capable.

Agreed. Plus as a Ward owner, Batch seems to be hitting Ward more often. Give Ben a week off and let Hines continue his hot streak this week at Oakland. :D

While he's been playing alot more like himself lately, I still think they should play Batch against Oakland. Ben needs to rest.

Not that long ago when there was a concussion, the recommendation by team doctors was to rest the player the following week so he can have a fuller recovery.

:D @ non-blinded homers being called "haters"...

Which of us is being blind in not seeing that he put up over 200 yards in the 1st half of each of his last two games, including 5 TD's and 0 INT's ???? Let me guess, it was the running game and defense (which were both poor) that allowed this to happen. :D

Not that long ago when there was a concussion, the recommendation by team doctors was to rest the player the following week so he can have a fuller recovery.

Agreed. There's no reason for Ben to play when Batch has played well against the MIA and ATL defenses this season. The Raiders should be a cake-walk for Batch... and just about every other QB in the league.

Which of us is being blind in not seeing that he put up over 200 yards in the 1st half of each of his last two games, including 5 TD's and 0 INT's ???? Let me guess, it was the running game and defense (which were both poor) that allowed this to happen. :D

I've finally come around to your way of thinking about Ben. He is the best QB in the history of professional football.

I don't know how I didn't realize it in your first 500 posts extolling his greatness, but something hit me in this 501st one.

Mark me down as the newest Ben-Believer. Please, keep the Ben posts coming, I can't get enough

:D

I've finally come around to your way of thinking about Ben. He is the best QB in the history of professional football.

I don't know how I didn't realize it in your first 500 posts extolling his greatness, but something hit me in this 501st one.

Mark me down as the newest Ben-Believer. Please, keep the Ben posts coming, I can't get enough

Show me where I've said anything that you claimed above. I know it is easier to just jump on the bandwagon, but, try to come with some facts.

Two games ago was an abberation......... :D

+1. :D

Menudo, what do you think of Michael Vick? Did you see his last game, he was amazing! Do you think Vick is a top 5 QB in the NFL?

What has been his QB Rating throughout the years ?

I'll do it for you:

Michael Vick - Career QB Rating = 75.5

Ben Roethlisberger - Career QB Rating = 93.5

My argument has never been that Ben is the greatest or amongst them, he's got a long way to go to prove that, but, calling him 'mediocre', or comparing him to Trent Dilfer, after what he has done in the early part of his career is ridiculous.

Edited by Menudo

vs kc:

- parker: 21/109- 2 td's

- davenport: 12/78- 1 td

- defense allowed only 7 pts (26 yrds to lj)

- ben was again effecient: 16/19/238- 2 td's, but again doesn't attempt 20.

vs atl:

- defense did slow down the most effective rushing team in the nfl, but couldn't cover alge.

- pit got no support from their rushing game.

- ben looked pretty good, but i am not sure they would have won/lost the game with or without him.... not sure it was all him, or poor pass d from atl

- ben: 16/22/238/3 td's

- batch: 8/13/195/2 td's

vs kc:

- parker: 21/109- 2 td's

- davenport: 12/78- 1 td

- defense allowed only 7 pts (26 yrds to lj)

- ben was again effecient: 16/19/238- 2 td's, but again doesn't attempt 20.

vs atl:

- defense did slow down the most effective rushing team in the nfl, but couldn't cover alge.

- pit got no support from their rushing game.

- ben looked pretty good, but i am not sure they would have won/lost the game with or without him.... not sure it was all him, or poor pass d from atl

- ben: 16/22/238/3 td's

- batch: 8/13/195/2 td's

How about pointing to the fact that he didn't throw in the 2nd half against Kansas City. All but 15 yards were in the 1st half. Imagine what he could have done if he kept throwing. Also, Kansas City's pass defense is ranked 5th in the NFL currently.

Atlanta hasn't been terrible against the pass this year. Once again his 238 and 3 TD's came in one half of football. Even with that kind of effort, you are trying to deflect praise away from him. They couldn't run, they played poor defense, and Ben still picked them apart. Paint anyway you want, but, those were the facts from the game.

As poorly he played in his first two games, he played on the complete opposite side of the spectrum in the last two, with a near perfect QB Rating.

Edited by Menudo

I disagree completely. If he's able to play, let him play. Yes, Batch is a decent backup, but Ben has been playing well. You sit him for a week, then you run the risk of him coming back rusty again. Bad move IMO.

I disagree completely. If he's able to play, let him play. Yes, Batch is a decent backup, but Ben has been playing well. You sit him for a week, then you run the risk of him coming back rusty again. Bad move IMO.

riki...out of complete respect for all players, i think he should sit. i am a 9ers fan, and wish young could have prolonged his career a little......

riki...out of complete respect for all players, i think he should sit. i am a 9ers fan, and wish young could have prolonged his career a little......

You weren't responding to me...........

However, I agree with Jaxfactor. Cowher said that they will take every precaution and if a Dr. says he should sit, he will sit. However, if everyone looking at him says he is normal and good to go, he should play.

You weren't responding to me...........

However, I agree with Jaxfactor. Cowher said that they will take every precaution and if a Dr. says he should sit, he will sit. However, if everyone looking at him says he is normal and good to go, he should play.

my bad. i hope he gets a second opinion from a non-team doc..... if cleared, yes..let him go.

How about pointing to the fact that he didn't throw in the 2nd half against Kansas City. All but 15 yards were in the 1st half. Imagine what he could have done if he kept throwing. Also, Kansas City's pass defense is ranked 5th in the NFL currently.

Atlanta hasn't been terrible against the pass this year. Once again his 238 and 3 TD's came in one half of football. Even with that kind of effort, you are trying to deflect praise away from him. They couldn't run, they played poor defense, and Ben still picked them apart. Paint anyway you want, but, those were the facts from the game.

As poorly he played in his first two games, he played on the complete opposite side of the spectrum in the last two, with a near perfect QB Rating.

do you still not understand the importance of a lead to the passing strategy? vs kc they could do anythign they wanted.

vs. atl, batch virtually matched his performance. if you want to average it out..... 16/26/390/4..... so imo that wasn't about ben..... and i already started the no run support. while the d didn't perform to their norm, they still significantly stagnated atl's strength (#1 running game).

seems like you are doing more to glorify his roll than i am "painting it the way i want"

Edited by Bier Meister

do you still not understand the importance of a lead to the passing strategy? vs kc they could do anythign they wanted.

vs. atl, batch virtually matched his performance. if you want to average it out..... 16/26/390/4..... so imo that wasn't about ben..... and i already started the no run support. while the d didn't perform to their norm, they still significantly stagnated atl's strength (#1 running game).

seems like you are doing more to glorify his roll than i am "painting it the way i want"

Yes, I understand the importance of passing strategy when playing with the lead. You do realize that his passing was a big reason why they got the lead, right ? You do realize that didn't throw in the 2nd half because of the big lead they had, right ?

The guy throws for over 200 yards in the 1st half two games in a row, 5 TD's vs. 0 INT's, has a near-perfect QB Rating, and you are still deflecting credit away from him any way that you can. What can he do to impress you in a game ? Did you watch either game ? For as bad as he looked in the 1st two, he looked great in the last two.