[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Benson to get more work..

RussMan

http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2006/10...71686142624.txt

OC Ron Turner said on a weekly radio show that they plan on getting Benson increased playing time this week putting him in on the 3rd series.

Indeed, it’s time to see Benson run.

Sunday begins a winnable two-game stretch at Soldier Field that represents the ideal opportunity for the Bears to find out, finally, whether Benson is more cancer or savior. San Francisco ranks 28th in total defense and next-to-last in scoring defense. Miami, the next opponent, is better, but not exactly the second coming of the No-Name defense.

“We’ve got to get him more involved,’’ Turner acknowledged.

The situation allows for more than an occasional series here and there for Benson. It begs for a 20-carry game.

If Benson doesn’t get more involved in the next two weeks, he is unlikely to get a long look during November’s East Coast stretch because the Bears have been reluctant to play him in road stadiums. In the Bears’ three road games so far, Benson has 12 combined carries and a DNP-Coaches’ Decision in Minnesota.

Good reasons existed for keeping Benson off the field in those hostile environments, but they will not be as valid against the 49ers or Dolphins. Besides, the Bears have little to lose by using Benson to jump-start a running game ranked 15th in the NFC in yards per rushing attempt (3.2 yards per carry).

Benson might make it better, he might make it worse, but the Bears will not know until they try.

:D As a Jones/Benson owner......Dillon is my other option....for RB2

I hate not knowing and the team being wishy washy...either go with Jones until the 4th or play them both ala NO and NE.

I've been hating this guessing game with TJ. The week after Benson scores 2 TDs he hardly plays at all. I imagine this week, with a lead, Benson will snipe carries again. I just unloaded TJ for Driver. No more worries.

Interesting you posted the positives from the article in your post...I opened the link, read the entire article, and it sounds to me like Benson is digging a deeper hole than gearing up for a big audition:

CHICAGO -- This time, forget about interpreting Cedric Benson’s body language. On Wednesday at Halas Hall, Benson’s words portrayed a running back as frustrated as he is confused about his role with the Bears.

Asked about the promise of increased playing time this week against the San Francisco 49ers that offensive coordinator Ron Turner delivered on the team’s weekly radio show Monday night on WBBM-AM 780, Benson revealed how far out of the loop he feels. Either that or he needs to get an AM radio.

“If they are planning on it, I wish they could tell me so I could prepare instead of like hoping I can catch the hint,’’ Benson said. “I wish they’d be a little more up-front and more businesslike about the situation. I hope they’re not planning on doing something and not telling me.’’

Turner later took responsibility for the failure to inform Benson of the Bears’ plan to insert him for the third series against San Francisco. But his valiant effort to protect his player came too late to undo the additional damage Benson had inflicted on his reputation as a moody malcontent.

Before taking a swipe at the coaching staff’s lack of communication during Wednesday’s open locker room, Benson had complained about the difficulties of finding a rhythm with no clear-cut rotation behind starter Thomas Jones.

“It’s hard to get into one when you’re in for a series, out for a couple, in for a couple, out for a quarter,’’ Benson said.

He had one carry at Arizona after a season-high 14 against Buffalo.

“I have no idea on a week-to-week basis,’’ he said.

Lovie Smith, suddenly a friend of the First Amendment, defended Benson’s right to express himself.

“I’m OK about our players speaking their mind anytime,’’ Smith said.

Smith may have taken a tougher stance behind closed doors. Nobody wants to hear a backup running back with 114 career carries whine about playing time on a 6-0 team that leads the league in good karma.

Man, this guy has done absolutely nothing thus far, and yet he still chatters away like a spoiled brat.

He then says "I need to know how to prepare".....why, would your regimen change? How can you not prepare every week to play full tilt? This guy is T.O junior.

If I were Lovie, I'd put him in "time-out" this week by deactivating him, then ask him if he'd like his diapers off to play football next week, a la Dick Vermeil when Larry Johnson was crowing.

Edited by i_am_the_swammi

Since the moment the Bears used the fourth pick in the 2005 draft on Cedric Benson, it's been a matter of time before he took over as the team's starting running back. That has been delayed because of Thomas Jones' outstanding 2005 season and the Bears' ongoing success, but it looks like Benson is beginning to gain serious ground on the depth chart for the first time.

Offensive coordinator Ron Turner indicated Wednesday that Benson will see significant action in Week 8, which is a major change in philosophy given that he typically played only in garbage time earlier this season and got just one carry in Chicago's last game. However, Turner said Benson "needs to be in there and will be in there" and added that the plan is to continue getting Jones "his carries."

Benson hasn't received much praise from anyone during his first two seasons and there's been little indication from the coaching staff that Jones' job has ever been in jeopardy, so this qualifies as the first sign of a potential change in the backfield. Benson hasn't been very good when given carries this year, even in the late stages of blowouts, but Jones has been ineffective in four of the Bears' six games.

Aaron Gleeman

Football Daily Dose

You left out even more, as I just read the full article. The kid isn't TO, he's 23 and isn't mature enough to 'get it' on some level. You know what? So are most people at 23. The bigger news in the article was the admitted fact that the coaches publicly stated they're going to use him more -intentionally- and didn't tell him.

More of the article really comes across as an editorial designed to roil the waters, than to report simple f'n facts. But that's what newspapers need to sell copies, or get said articles posted onto boards like these to jack up their hits.

Interesting you posted the positives from the article in your post...I opened the link, read the entire article, and it sounds to me like Benson is digging a deeper hole than gearing up for a big audition:

CHICAGO -- This time, forget about interpreting Cedric Benson’s body language. On Wednesday at Halas Hall, Benson’s words portrayed a running back as frustrated as he is confused about his role with the Bears.

Asked about the promise of increased playing time this week against the San Francisco 49ers that offensive coordinator Ron Turner delivered on the team’s weekly radio show Monday night on WBBM-AM 780, Benson revealed how far out of the loop he feels. Either that or he needs to get an AM radio.

“If they are planning on it, I wish they could tell me so I could prepare instead of like hoping I can catch the hint,’’ Benson said. “I wish they’d be a little more up-front and more businesslike about the situation. I hope they’re not planning on doing something and not telling me.’’

Turner later took responsibility for the failure to inform Benson of the Bears’ plan to insert him for the third series against San Francisco. But his valiant effort to protect his player came too late to undo the additional damage Benson had inflicted on his reputation as a moody malcontent.

Before taking a swipe at the coaching staff’s lack of communication during Wednesday’s open locker room, Benson had complained about the difficulties of finding a rhythm with no clear-cut rotation behind starter Thomas Jones.

“It’s hard to get into one when you’re in for a series, out for a couple, in for a couple, out for a quarter,’’ Benson said.

He had one carry at Arizona after a season-high 14 against Buffalo.

“I have no idea on a week-to-week basis,’’ he said.

Lovie Smith, suddenly a friend of the First Amendment, defended Benson’s right to express himself.

“I’m OK about our players speaking their mind anytime,’’ Smith said.

Smith may have taken a tougher stance behind closed doors. Nobody wants to hear a backup running back with 114 career carries whine about playing time on a 6-0 team that leads the league in good karma.

Man, this guy has done absolutely nothing thus far, and yet he still chatters away like a spoiled brat.

He then says "I need to know how to prepare".....why, would your regimen change? How can you not prepare every week to play full tilt? This guy is T.O junior.

If I were Lovie, I'd put him in "time-out" this week by deactivating him, then ask him if he'd like his diapers off to play football next week, a la Dick Vermeil when Larry Johnson was crowing.

Being a local Chicago guy, this article is taken completely out of context. Imagine that, the media spinning stuff :D Anyways, there were reporters at his locker after practice asking him about his increased playing time. He didn't respond as negatively as this article would have you believe. However, based on his not knowing about increased role leads me to believe that Turner is talking BS.

E2A: I saw the interview on local news.

Edited by Brentastic

I believe that if Benson does get the chance as the coaches say, he will be out to prove himself worthy of his salary and worthy of more playing time. Against the SF defense, I have a feeling Benson is going to have a great game.

I thought the same thing when he played against Arizona, and look what happened?

Chicago coaches are LIARS.

They said Benson would get more work.. and despite a 41-0 game he isnt getting any carries.

No wonder the guy has a bad attitude.. the coaches really are jerking him around.

And I agree with this. Don't say anything then. Not right to say that, get his hopes up, and then not carry it through.

Coaches ALWAYS lie .... always have ... always will.

It is a true sign of how well installed in the dog house Benson is that he didn't get more work in a monster blow out. It is amazing to me that Chicago drafts this guy as high as they did, pay him an enourmous amount of money only to allow him to lanquish on the bench. Talk aboiut flushing your money down the drain.