[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Merriman "schedules" his suspension

STL Fan

So Shawne Merriman tests positive in both his A and B sample for the infamous "horse steroid" Nandralone, and even though he and his attorneys know he has ABSOLUTELY no chance of overturning this ruling, he appeals it anyway. Why? Because the NFL allows a player to "schedule" his suspension by appealing, dragging out the process, and then starting his suspension when it is convenient to him and his team (within a certain window.)

Merriman admitted this when he said yesterday that he will probably drop his appeal this week after playing against the Rams, thus beginning his suspension next week against the hapless Browns, and getting back for both Denver games.

Now, I agree that a player has to have the right to appeal a disciplinary ruling, but when they are almost 100% announced on Mondays, why the hell does he have weeks to stretch this out? Are you trying to tell me that in this technological world he can't jump on a plane on Tuesday, have his hearing and be back for practice on Wednesday if his appeal is upheld? What about video teleconferencing? You can do that at freakin' Kinko's.

How is this fair to the players that use FDA-approved and NFL-tested supplements and stay clean? How is this fair to the Rams when Merriman goes out and has a 5-tackle, 3-sack, 'roid-rage kind of day against a team that he should have watched from home while serving his suspension?

The NFL talks the talk on 'roids, but still doesn't walk the walk. :D

I know roids is nothing new to the NFL and im not being naive but I lost all respect for that guy..He can jump and scream after every hit all he wants I consider him a farce and a joke..

Two quick clarifying points:

1. The CBA gives players a list of banned substances, as well as giving them a list of a full line of supplements that are FDA and NFL approved and tested and are guaranteed to be free from banned substances. It goes on to say that if you choose to use a supplement not on the list, you ARE ON YOUR OWN.

2. Even if you think his appeal could be upheld, the point is that he can drag it out long enough to "schedule" his suspension. Why can't they be IMMEDIATE?

:D

The Rams couldn't stop the Bolts O You would have lost anyway!

:D

They were not injectables. He did not do it intentionally. He knows after a week of looking at the reality and league policy he is screwed and should just get it over with.

He used a tainted supp and was stupid for not clearing it through the league first! That is the only thing he is guilty of.

Bringing it up now is just

:bash:

How about stopping LT? Maybe that would have been a better plan that worrying about ONE guy on the defensive side of the ball!

Edited by McBoog

I knew some misguided Bolts fan would take this the wrong way. We were dominated on both sides of the ball today, as I expected. The point here is not the outcome of the game, that doesn't concern me. I knew LT was going to have a HUGH day againts us.

The point is, Merriman KNEW WHEN HE FILED IT that his appeal was impossible to win. He did it to schedule his suspension as he admits.

I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on how the 'roids got there. The point is he used a tainted supplement, and because of that, is guilty of having "roids" in his system and he got to play today anyway and that's BS.

Denying those facts makes you look like a blind homer, boog.

Read the post, I DON'T WANT IT TO GO AWAY. I just want it to happen before that team's next game, and that can happen very easily.

Read the post, I DON'T WANT IT TO GO AWAY. I just want it to happen before that team's next game, and that can happen very easily.

I'm no lawyer, but from my own past experience I have observed that the legal process is very deliberate and, consequently, SLOW. Even if the NFL wanted to speed up the process, the MLFPA and all the lawyers for them and the players would be very reluctant to do so. My guess is it ain't gonna happen.

That's definitely true, but the player learns of his positive test at least a couple weeks before the NFL announces his positive test and his penalty. Isn't that enough time to prepare a "defense?"

That's definitely true, but the player learns of his positive test at least a couple weeks before the NFL announces his positive test and his penalty. Isn't that enough time to prepare a "defense?"

You would think so. :D

Isn't the appeal process and what it entails (removing a suspension while appealed that is) part of the CBA? They would not be able to change that until the next one, right?

Isn't the appeal process and what it entails (removing a suspension while appealed that is) part of the CBA? They would not be able to change that until the next one, right?

Yep, I think you're right, but isn't the NFLPA talking all kinds of stuff about cleaning its own house these days? How bad would they look if they fought that in the next agreement? They will, of course, and it will probably get killed, but it still sucks big ones. (Or small steroid-shrunken ones at least :D )