[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Venison Recipes

Sugar Magnolia

I was just given a venison rump roast and shank.

Anyone have good venison recipes.? I have a crock pot but no official Dutch Oven, although I have large deep pots.

Is the meat tough? Does it need to be tenderized, marinated, and if so, how best to do it?

Thanks in advance.

well there are a kazzilion ways to prepair it... if u like crock pot stuff u can put it in there like beef and it will be great...

It certainly tends to be leaner than beef which is always an issue with braising. You can braise lean meats to the point of tenderness, but they'll still remain somewhat dry. None the less, that is still the only way you'd want to handle the shank. In terms of recipes, do as Yukon says and pretend it's beef. You'll end up with a more flavorful but perhaps drier version of what the beef would have yielded.

As for the rump roast, I'd advocate knocking it down into smaller roasts, marinating it and grilling it medium rare. By making them smaller, you can get a good sear on the surface and cook the middle enough without overdoing the outer parts. We buy a product called denver leg for the restaurant which is basically a leg butchered into smaller lean pieces as I described. It's quite tender and eats great as long as you don't overcook it. We actually marinate it with fish sauce, chili, and sugar and stir-fry it in the manner of Vietnamese Shaking Beef which is basically meat marinated as such with carmelized onions and watercress. Freaking tasty stuff.

Wrong cuts of meat but you might be able to modify the following a little. This is a recipe from my brother's in-laws. We had elk prepared this way at the beginning of the month and it was outstanding:

Marinade ingredients: (4 – 8 hours or more after butterfly cut)

• 1 can of Coke (why not, it cleans batteries)

• 2 beef bouillon cubes (crushed)

• 2 ounces of cooking oil

• 1 ounce of lemon juice

• 5 splashes of soy sauce

• 3 shakes of garlic powder

• 4 ounces of water

Meat: (cut ¾ inch thick- works best if you butterfly a 1 ½ thick piece of loin)

• Elk

• Deer

• Antelope (my preference)

Cooking:

• Remove meat from marinade and rinse lightly with cold water.

• Dry meat with paper towel.

• Spread cream cheese in the butterfly cut and fold closed.

• Wrap bacon around the edges and fasten shut with tooth picks.

• Season to your taste with; coarse ground pepper, roasted herb and garlic, Lowery salt.

• Rub the seasonings in with melted butter (you didn’t see me use my fingers).

• When you flip the meat during cooking, spoon on more butter.

Wrong cuts of meat but you might be able to modify the following a little. This is a recipe from my brother's in-laws. We had elk prepared this way at the beginning of the month and it was outstanding:

Marinade ingredients: (4 – 8 hours or more after butterfly cut)

• 1 can of Coke (why not, it cleans batteries)

• 2 beef bouillon cubes (crushed)

• 2 ounces of cooking oil

• 1 ounce of lemon juice

• 5 splashes of soy sauce

• 3 shakes of garlic powder

• 4 ounces of water

Meat: (cut ¾ inch thick- works best if you butterfly a 1 ½ thick piece of loin)

• Elk

• Deer

• Antelope (my preference)

Cooking:

• Remove meat from marinade and rinse lightly with cold water.

• Dry meat with paper towel.

• Spread cream cheese in the butterfly cut and fold closed.

• Wrap bacon around the edges and fasten shut with tooth picks.

• Season to your taste with; coarse ground pepper, roasted herb and garlic, Lowery salt.

• Rub the seasonings in with melted butter (you didn’t see me use my fingers).

• When you flip the meat during cooking, spoon on more butter.

Where the f'do you hunt antelope? :D

As for the rump roast, I'd advocate knocking it down into smaller roasts, marinating it and grilling it medium rare. By making them smaller, you can get a good sear on the surface and cook the middle enough without overdoing the outer parts. We buy a product called denver leg for the restaurant which is basically a leg butchered into smaller lean pieces as I described. It's quite tender and eats great as long as you don't overcook it. We actually marinate it with fish sauce, chili, and sugar and stir-fry it in the manner of Vietnamese Shaking Beef which is basically meat marinated as such with carmelized onions and watercress. Freaking tasty stuff.

I agree with Detlef. If you cut it down you can try different things. I like to marinate my elk/venison satays (thin cut strips) with a Chipolte Pepper Raspberry sauce then grill. I used to make it from scratch, but now I pick up a bottle from COSTCO and soak it overnight. Alcohol (Bier, Wine or even a whiskey or rum are often added to my Wild Game marinades to help tenderize the meat).

Where the f'do you hunt antelope? :D

Sorry. Those weren't my notes....thats straight from the Chef who cooked for us. He lives in SoDak and I'm sure hunts around Belle Fourche (which was officially founded by whom, trivia boy?).

I'm hoping to be drawn for an elk tag in Wyoming next year and take some extra time to shoot an antelope. Those things really are prairie rats out there.

I made it deer hunting 2 days this year...no luck.

I usually break most of my deer down into pieces that are usable for stew, with the exception of the loins and a few steaks. If you want to make stew, the crock pot is the easiest way I've found. Just find a beef stew recipie and substitute. I dredge the venison pieces in flour (seasoned of course) and brown. Then add them to the crock pot with the rest of the ingredients, set it to low and come back 8 hours later. You could just cook the roast similar to a beef roast. However, as detlef noted, venison is usually much leaner then beef. DO NOT overcook it! It will dry out easily.

Not sure how your venison was processed. I suggest that you make sure that any membranes (the shiny stuff), fat, etc. are removed, as they will add to any potential "gamey" taste. I have a few cook books dedicated to venison. If you'd like some recipies I can try to post a few.

Well, I think he probably had some involvement, and there was some history to the area before, but I believe that the official "Fathers" of the town are Roosevelt's friend Seth Bullock (sheriff from Deadwood; not our frat brother) and Sol whatshisname.

:D Not bad for a guess.

I usually cook venison roasts in a crock pot with veggies. I've fed this to people who swore they hate deer and many rave. :D

Elk is the best game meat, IMO.

Antelope? If I ever kill another one, I'll jerky the whole thing. We don't call them sage goats for nothing. Yuck.

Very hard to disagree and I think its probably my favorite as well but have you ever had Moose? It's very good as well.

Yes, moose is very good. Still, elk holds the title for my pallate. If there is anything better than elk tenderloin steak and eggs for breakfast, I'm still looking for it.

I offered to guide Yukon on a moose hunt when he draws out for a Utah bull. :D