[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL Playoff Rules Question

Brentastic

Me and a friend just made a $100 bet on this, so correct information is essential with a link as proof if possible.

Question:

What qualifies the divisional winner?

Overall record OR Divisional Record?

Scenario:

In other words, Team A has an overall record of 11-5 but only 3 divisional wins. Team B has an overall record of 10-6 but has more divisional wins than Team A. Team A and team B are in the same division.

Who wins the division?

North Division:

Team A (11-5) 4 division wins

Team B (10-6) 5 division wins

Team C (9-7) 4 division wins

Team D (8-8) 3 division wins

Who wins the division?

You don't need Big John for this one: overall record determines Division Winner, so in your case, Team A wins the divsion..

Divisional record only comes into play in tie-breaker scenarios. For instance, if Team A and Team B were both 11-5 overall, they would break the tie by (1) determining who had the better record in head-to-head match-ups; (2) if still tied, which team had the better division record.

Link: www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakers

"TO BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION

If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.

Two Clubs

1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).

2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division."

As the article states, this process is used when there are two or more teams finishing with identical won-lost-tied percentages. NOT DIVISIONAL percentage, but overall percentage. The same method is used to determine the division winner.

Edited by i_am_the_swammi

So who was the idiot who thought it was division record?

The real question is why didn't Brent put his guy on the hook for $5000. I'd call it a "being stupid" fee.

Apologies to Brent if he was the guy who thought division record trumped overall record. I don't want him to :D me.