[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Brandon Moore - SF LB

At this stage of the year, it seems there couldn't be anymore diamonds in the rough.

After watching my pathetic Vikings give the SF 49ers their 3rd win, the only thing I was thinking about is how every team in the NFL will be running against the 9ers. So today, Moore had 7 solos and 7 assists to lead the team in tackles. The main fantasy consideration LB on the squad (D Smith) only recorded 3 tackles.

Moore shows that he has only started twice before today (I do not know if he started today). He's currently listed as the starting OLB on a 3-4 scheme. But he's also listed as the backup to D Smith.

Is there any news here? Is this guy worth picking up?

Just read this on MFL:

(Rotoworld) The 49ers continued their defensive overhaul in Week 9, starting Brandon Moore at middle linebacker and Keith Lewis at free safety.

Impact: San Francisco, still using a 4-3, allowed just 133 yards Sunday after giving up 150 points in its last four games. Taking Jeff Ulbrich's place, Moore recorded 14 tackles and a sack. While the Niners' D should remain good for matchups, Moore has a chance for a huge second half.

Ahy SF homers - what's going on out there? Are they switching back to the 4-3?

• 2 weeks later...
Brandon Moore (SF): That’s two straight huge games for Moore. There’s been some chatter about Moore on The Huddle’s message boards, and rightly so. There are probably enough tackles to go around for the Niner LBs. Moore and the rest of the Niner defenders will have their hands full with the surging Seahawks come Sunday, so expect plenty of tackling opportunities.

Darin, you're a cool/funny guy....

Darin, you're a cool/funny guy....

:D

And that's very interesting news about Moore starting at MLB. I have a buddy up in the Bay Area that's been my "correspondent" for anything fantasy football related for the Raiders and Niners, and he didn't tell me about this... :D

Edit: And the Niners will continue to be a good source of IDP points; they face SEA, STL and NO in their next three. Three teams whose offenses will move the ball against the Niners and utilize their RBs out of the backfield. Then, for the most important weeks: GB, SEA again, and ARI. Another set of good opponents in terms of IDP scoring.

Edited by darin3

I know they sat Ulbrich down some three of four weeks ago...so maybe that is when they went to the 4-3 again. Where does that leave Derek? WLB?? Lawson is the pass rushing LB..so he must be WLB.

Not sure. Honestly, I don't watch the Niners much. And online depth charts aren't any help...

NFL.com lists them as still using the 3-4 with Moore simply replacing Ulbrich. I was certainly aware of that. They have Moore and Smith inside with Lawson and Moore/Ulbrich on the outside. Uh, confusing much?

Another depth chart site lists them as starting Smith and Moore as "ILB" and Lawson the only starting "OLB". More confusing.

Best thing to go off, though, would have to be last week's box score. They have Moore at "RLB", Smith "MLB" and Lawson "LLB".

Not much in here. From the Nov 13 Contra Costa Times (SF paper)

Surprising 49ers defense a laughingstock no more

DETROIT - The 49ers defense had been humbled by the Kansas City Chiefs, embarrassed by the San Diego Chargers and humiliated by the Chicago Bears.

It had been torched for 130 points by those three teams in a four-week span. It had become an NFL laughingstock, if you think allowing 33.4 points per game and being on pace to allow an NFL-record 535 points is funny.

"I think at that point, our backs were against the wall," 49ers defensive tackle Bryant Young said Sunday, recalling a 41-10 loss to the Bears two weeks ago. "It was like, 'OK, what do we do? Enough is enough.'"

What did the 49ers defense do? Not much, really, other than morph from a doormat into spiked work boots. Other than change from a pinata to a baseball bat. Other than change from one of the worst defenses in NFL history to one of this season's best defenses in the past two weeks.

Last week, the 49ers defense held the Minnesota Vikings to a field goal in a 9-3 win. On Sunday at Ford Field, the 49ers defense held the Detroit Lions to one touchdown and two field goals in a 19-13 victory.

After Sunday's victory, 49ers coach Mike Nolan gave one game ball to his entire defense. You had the feeling he would have handed every 49ers defender a million dollars of John York's money if York were willing -- yeah, right -- and that were allowed under NFL salary cap rules.

Two weeks ago, Nolan was getting torched in the court of public opinion. A loss or two more, and the cyberheads who brought us dumpyork.com a few years ago surely would have launched firenolan.com.

And now? Nolan's 49ers are 4-5, still in contention for the NFC West title and in the thick of the wild-card playoff race.

"We've got back to back wins," Nolan said. "I'd like to think they're going to lead to more wins.

"I'd like to think that it's a turning point. Maybe not the huge turning point, but it's a turning point."

Most of the credit for turning that corner goes to a 49ers defense that turned humiliation into motivation. You can't get much lower than allowing 41 points in the first half, which the 49ers did against the Bears.

Since that forgettable first half, the 49ers defense has given up one touchdown in 10 quarters.

"We're starting to establish an identity about ourselves," 49ers free safety Keith Lewis said.

What might that be? How about a defense that forces turnovers and often saves its best for when it's backed up deep in its end of the field.

The 49ers forced three turnovers against Minnesota and four more against the Lions -- three fumbles and one interception.

Cornerback Shawntae Spencer opened the second half with a hellacious first-down sack of Jon Kitna, forcing a fumble that led to a 49ers field goal.

It was Lewis' interception of a Kitna pass at the 49ers' 2 late in the fourth quarter that all but sealed the victory. Lewis cut in front of Lions wide receiver Mike Furrey for the theft and returned it 24 yards. He also forced a fumble, setting up a 49ers field goal in the first half.

Earlier in the Lions' final offensive series, linebacker Brandon Moore sacked Kitna for a 10-yard loss at the Lions' 26. It was Moore's second sack of the game and ninth tackle -- both team highs.

Against Minnesota, Moore had 14 tackles and one sack and was named the NFC Defensive Player of the Week.

Moore and Lewis moved into the starting lineup against the Vikings. Two starts, two 49ers wins. Just a coincidence? Sure. And it's a coincidence that stadium restroom lines get longer when more beer is sold.

"Those guys have tremendous ability," Young said. "They come in with a nasty attitude. They want to make plays."

The Lions fell to 2-7 Sunday. They're not exactly a juggernaut. Then again, they had been averaging 24.8 points the previous six games before facing the 49ers. And they do have former St. Louis Rams coach Mike Martz, aka Mad Mike, as their offensive coordinator.

Detroit beat the Atlanta Falcons 30-14 one week before scoring 13 points in a loss to the 49ers.

An even bigger test for the 49ers defense comes this week when the Seattle Seahawks, the reigning NFC champions, come to Monster Park. Thanks to back-to-back 49ers victories, this game actually has playoff implications.

Who would have ever thunk it? Lewis and Moore, for two.

"We knew this was a key game for us to get in the hunt of things," Lewis said.

"It should always be a goal," Moore said of the playoffs.

Two weeks ago, no one was asking members of the 49ers defense questions about the playoffs. Now they're being asked about the potential for overconfidence.

"We know we have to stick together," Young said. "We have to stay humble. We have to stay hungry. We haven't arrived.

"I think everyone remembers Chicago, remembers Kansas City, remembers San Diego."

Those bitter memories helped fuel wins over Minnesota and Detroit.

It would then seem by reading that that Smith and Moore are the inside guys with Lawson and Lewis manning the outside. I don't know who the Lewis cat is, but he is playing it sounds like. Like I said, I had Moore last year when Ulbrich went down...and he was good for like three weeks then hurt his knee I think. I missed getting him two weeks ago by two spots on the WW.

Some more: This is from a Q&A session with Contra reporter Dennis Georgatos (I'm only posting his answers, not the questions).

11/09/06

The offensive gameplan is basically in Norv Turner's hands with Mike Nolan listening in on the headset, as he does with Billy Davis, the defensive coordinator. Nolan is more involved with the defense, naturally, because that's his specialty. If the offense is vanilla, though, you can blame Turner. As for Brandon Moore and Adam Snyder, I think their versatility sometimes worked against them. Moore was playing outside linebacker in a 3-4, inside linebacker in a 4-3 and third down pass rusher from the defensive end position during training camp so he was never able to settle in one position. on top of that, he injured his knee in the second preseason game and lost practice time. So he started the season as a backup. He got his opportunity last week and he took it and ran with it. Despite some recent struggles in run support, Jeff Ulbrich is also a good player and he continues to have a spot in the third down defense and play special teams. Ulbrich I would expect to continue to play an important part on the team even though Moore becomes the starter. Snyder may well take over for Kwame Harris at right tackle for too long but one thing is for sure. Nolan likes the fact that if the need arises, Snyder can play any position on the offensive line except center. That is a tremendous security blanket in any game. While Kwame Harris is a good run blocker, he still is vulnerable as a pass blocker and it's going to be hard to fend off Snyder in the long run in their competition at right tackle.

11/06/06

ABrandon Moore was named the starting weakside linebacker today and Keith Lewis also will remain the starter at free safety, though he'll still split time with Mike Adams

This guy seems pretty knowledgeable. I think if someone smarter than me about defensive schemes, and what are the important questions to ask here (like what's going on with the defensive scheme, and who's playing where), that he might provide us with some pretty good insight. Here's the link.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctime...e=list&pageNo=1

Some more: This is from a Q&A session with Contra reporter Dennis Georgatos (I'm only posting his answers, not the questions).

11/09/06

11/06/06

This guy seems pretty knowledgeable. I think if someone smarter than me about defensive schemes, and what are the important questions to ask here (like what's going on with the defensive scheme, and who's playing where), that he might provide us with some pretty good insight. Here's the link.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctime...e=list&pageNo=1

Good links... apparently my buddy was on a business trip :D when all this came down a week or so ago. Nice sleuth work! Edit: Maybe I should make YOU my investigator. LOL

The dude had 71 total tackles (50 solo) and 5 sacks last year. He's hardly a slouch.

Oh, and I never read Georgatos' stuff, even when I was up living in the Bay Area. :D Good stuff.

Edited by darin3

Sweet line in a chat room from some homer about Moore...

Is it just me or does Moore has the strongest fricken hands you've ever seen? I've seen him pull down more people by grabbing and hanging on their jersey then any other guy in the league. Once that clamp comes on forget about it.

I'm pretty excited about this guy, too bad I can't really start him. It's pretty hard to sit DeMeco Ryans, Kirk Morrison or Donnie Edwards.

FYI Darin, in this chatroom, lots of good chatter about local sports columnist, Matt Maoicco. Seems like a writer who doesn't write any fluff, asks good questions, and reports (rather than writing just to attract readers at any cost).

Darin-

And I thnk he did that in about 9 games last year...I forgot all about him this year because he was not listed as a starter anywhere on the depth chart.

Hmm, I think he played in all 16 last year. Perhaps he started in 9? Are you looking at his page on NFL.com? If so, the "9 games" you saw are from this year. :D

Hmm, I think he played in all 16 last year. Perhaps he started in 9? Are you looking at his page on NFL.com? If so, the "9 games" you saw are from this year. :D

If I remember correctly he came in and played 9 games as a injury fill-in. The kid has talent! He has now come in again in a injury situation and has picked up where he left off. I wish I hadn't of traded him in the off season!

Took over as the starter in Week 7 after the bye week. He had 43 of his 51 solo tackles after that time and 19 of his 21 assists after that time. He had four of his five sacks after week 7 as well as his only INT. He had one big week of 17 points prior to week 7...due to a fumble recovery...probably on kick coverage.

So the bulk of his production was in the last 10 games of the season. My only question is why would you stick that guy outside and leave Ulbrich inside?? I dunno...maybe that is why I don't get paid to set up defenses!!!!

Edited by TheShiznit

Derek Smith is having some vision problems... he might need surgery this offseason. From what I saw in the Minnesota game, Derek Smith is going for the blockers. I think he's clearing the way for Moore right now.

Moore has like 9-10 starts in the middle last year with Ulbrich's injury... nothing spectacular. I think we're seeing improved #s due to Derek's eye problem. my 2 cents