[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Johnson near tears

LooGie

I know he's not the cause of it, but he talks like he's something and not backing it up.

Cincy's biggest problem is on the line & not running enough. Palmer seems to be hitting Housh and Henry just fine. CJ is :D because he's :D and can't back it up on the field.

I've always taken his yappin' as something that's done in fun than as a true expression of arrogance. I think he does it to fire his guys up and put pressure on himself to lessen that on his teammates. By all accounts, he's a hard worker, a good teammate, and a decent guy to boot.

His numbers have fallen off, but I have a hunch if Cinci was winning he'd feel a lot better about it.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Those are the season stats (catches-yds-tds) for CJ and Housh. I'm trying to figure out which one is doing great and which one is struggling, because those numbers look to be six of one, half-dozen of the other to me.

um..i said Housh is doing fine, and lets not forget Housh is the #2 WR. so a #2 WR putting up the same numbers as the #1 is him doing pretty swell. Not to mention, he's catching more crucial balls, and doing more with less looks than CJ.

um..i said Housh is doing fine, and lets not forget Housh is the #2 WR. so a #2 WR putting up the same numbers as the #1 is him doing pretty swell. Not to mention, he's catching more crucial balls, and doing more with less looks than CJ.

Not to mention TD's

Well, a quick zip through the game scans shows TJ was out for the first coupla weeks, which I had forgotten.

Oops. Housh is matching CJ despite being the #2 (though I'd say those guys have moved into a 1/1a situation like Holt/Bruce in StL a while ago or Harrison/Wayne or Fitz/Boldin today) AND missing two games. Housh IS having a better year than CJ, by a noticeable margin.

Well, a quick zip through the game scans shows TJ was out for the first coupla weeks, which I had forgotten.

Oops. Housh is matching CJ despite being the #2 (though I'd say those guys have moved into a 1/1a situation like Holt/Bruce in StL a while ago or Harrison/Wayne or Fitz/Boldin today) AND missing two games. Housh IS having a better year than CJ, by a noticeable margin.

Your apology is accepted. No need to grovel. :D

You can tell by that interview he is passionate about his team without a doubt. I have to hand it to him because he didn't throw any of his teammates (QB especially) under the bus like another highly emotional QB has done with his previous QB's.

You can tell by that interview he is passionate about his team without a doubt. I have to hand it to him because he didn't throw any of his teammates (QB especially) under the bus like another highly emotional QB has done with his previous QB's.

i would be shocked if he ever did that. i dont think you could ever say Chad isn't a teammate first and foremost. Sure he gets in the spot light, but not in spite of his team. He truly feels he can be both a great team mate and a "spot light guy"

If you want that kind of person, go watch Marvin Harrison, or LT. There are plenty of other superstars that don't talk.

Sometimes people like to have fun on the field, and off the field. The two people chad talked trash two the past 2 weeks were his close friends. They were having FUN.

Harrison doing some trash talkin tonight.

Sometimes people like to have fun on the field, and off the field. The two people chad talked trash two the past 2 weeks were his close friends. They were having FUN.

Can he have FUN and actually catch the football, too??

I don't get points in my fantasy league for the amount of fun a player has. :D

Can he have FUN and actually catch the football, too??

I don't get points in my fantasy league for the amount of fun a player has. :D

You seem to be a person who gets NO joy from the actual sporting event.

You seem to be a person who gets NO joy from the actual sporting event.

As an Eagles season ticket holder since 1984, I can tell you for a fact I get no joy out of the actual sporting event. :D

But I also don't get joy from watching guys being paid multi-million salaries underperform while turning the ego spotlight on themselves, win or lose.

Let pro wrestling be the place for side-show freaks, and have more respect for the game.

As an Eagles season ticket holder since 1984, I can tell you for a fact I get no joy out of the actual sporting event. :D

But I also don't get joy from watching guys being paid multi-million salaries underperform while turning the ego spotlight on themselves, win or lose.

Let pro wrestling be the place for side-show freaks, and have more respect for the game.

good post. :D

This guy has the emotional stability of a crack addict. Just like TO.

What is it about wide recievers? Maybe it's because they line up way out there away from the rest of the team. Maybe they feel isolated, alone. They're a bunch of nutjobs.

Chad Johnson – WR – Cincinnati Bengals

WR Chad Johnson earned high praise from teammates Sunday, even though he was limited to one catch for 11 yards in the 28-20 victory at Pittsburgh. Johnson did not complain and served as a decoy, attracting two and three Steelers defensive backs and opening room for other receivers. Johnson, a three-time Pro Bowl receiver, avoided a repeat of the emotional halftime meltdown he suffered against the Steelers in the wildcard playoff game Jan. 8. Johnson's teammates noticed: "I think Chad has grown up; he used to let things frustrate him and let these things get into his head," quarterback Carson Palmer said. "There are going to be games like this, and there are going to be games where he gets nine catches and two touchdowns. He knows the ball is going to come to him. It might be next week. It might be the next four games in a row. I think he has matured a lot."

(Posted: Sep 25, 2006)

Interesting how things change as the season progresses. :D

But honestly, I still believe that Chad is just psychologically freaked the F out by that huge hit he took in the Cleveland game. He just hasn't gotten over it IMHO. And when your confidence is shaken that much, it makes a difference in how you run your routes and the kind of effort you give on the close ones where you know a hit is coming. I'm sure Palmer has picked up on that and is playing accordingly.

Chad Johnson – WR – Cincinnati Bengals

WR Chad Johnson said he will be ready for the Steelers after getting knocked woozy Sunday against the Browns on a late pass play. Johnson said it was the first time he has been hit hard in his five-plus seasons in the NFL.

(Posted: Sep 19, 2006)

This guy has the emotional stability of a crack addict. Just like TO.

What is it about wide recievers? Maybe it's because they line up way out there away from the rest of the team. Maybe they feel isolated, alone. They're a bunch of nutjobs.

:D Dr. PhilVet over here.

Interesting how things change as the season progresses. :D

But honestly, I still believe that Chad is just psychologically freaked the F out by that huge hit he took in the Cleveland game. He just hasn't gotten over it IMHO. And when your confidence is shaken that much, it makes a difference in how you run your routes and the kind of effort you give on the close ones where you know a hit is coming. I'm sure Palmer has picked up on that and is playing accordingly.

oooh...i never even thought about that. He really hasn't been the same, even in interviews, he still looks glassy eyed. Great observation, and I wouldn't be shocked at all if you were right on the money. He can talk all he wants about DeAngelo "Fall" and Ocho Cinco but when he gets on that field, I bet he hears footsteps everywhere.

Read this in the paper this morning and thought it might be interesting for some of you monitoring the situation. Here's the link: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/06/sports/f...r=1&oref=slogin

Cincinnati receiver T. J. Houshmandzadeh tore his helmet off and slammed it to the ground. His teammate Chris Henry gave little effort going for a desperation pass near the end of the game, invoking the fury of quarterback Carson Palmer. And so a month of frustration by the sinking Bengals erupted publicly Sunday after they lost to the Baltimore Ravens, 26-20.

The loss, the fourth in five games for the Bengals, dropped them to 4-4, two games behind the Ravens (6-2) in the American Football Conference North with half the season done. It also exposed significant anger among some of the team’s best players, threatening to undo a team that was expected to be an A.F.C. contender this season.

“We stunk,” said Bengals receiver Chad Johnson, whose choice of words in an expletive-filled interview was even more blunt. “Two losses in a row. We come in here with the same excuses after the game, that things are going to get better. It’s Week 8. I’m tired of hearing the same stuff over and over again. We’ve got to stop with the excuses. Put up some points. Same stuff, after every game.”

The Ravens looked much the same, too, relying heavily on their defense. Baltimore forced a fumble on the Bengals’ opening kickoff return, leading to the Ravens’ first touchdown, then returned an interception of a Palmer pass for a touchdown before the first quarter had ended.

Those were the Ravens’ only touchdowns; they settled for four Matt Stover field goals. The offense repeatedly stalled despite having the ball for almost 15 minutes more than the Bengals.

If the Ravens’ offense has not exactly been electrifying since Coach Brian Billick took over the offense, then it has at least become more functional. Baltimore rushed for 129 yards and Steve McNair threw no interceptions while completing 21 of 31 passes for 245 yards. The Ravens are 2-0 since Billick fired his offensive coordinator, Jim Fassel, and took over the play-calling, and they have a firm hold on the division with the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Bengals fading.

The Bengals’ offense is generally far more high-powered than the Ravens’, but they converted only one of 10 third-down attempts. The Ravens eked out just enough yards and just enough points to control the clock.

But that did not convince a seething Houshmandzadeh, who drew an unsportsmanlike-conduct penalty after he ripped off his helmet in frustration because the officials did not call pass interference against Ravens cornerback Ronnie Prude on a fourth-down play at the two-minute warning.

“We’re better than Baltimore,” Houshmandzadeh said. “We know they’re not better than us. And they know they’re not better than us. We have better players than they have. We didn’t win the game, so I’m sure they’ll see that and laugh, but deep down, they know we’re better than them.”

Nobody is laughing in Cincinnati, where a season that began with a series of embarrassing off-the-field incidents and arrests — including several involving Henry — is on the verge of degenerating into the sort of internal friction that the Bengals thought they had left behind after winning the division last season.

Palmer acknowledged that he was still struggling with his mechanics after his return from a serious knee injury. But the Bengals’ problems go much deeper. Palmer was clearly upset after Henry, a second-year receiver, failed to go after a last-chance throw, allowing Chris McAlister to intercept it.

When asked about what he said to Henry, Palmer snapped, “None of your business.” But when asked about whether it was time for the team to mature, Palmer responded in more measured fashion.

“We do have some young guys,” he said. “Some guys that don’t take every advantage of their situation. We do need to mature and become professionals. The way we’ve gone about our business has us 4-4, and we’re not a .500 team. It’s a game we’re embarrassed to lose.”

It is a result that may keep Coach Marvin Lewis’s hands full in the second half of the season. His first task may be straightening out his relationship with Johnson, who had four receptions for 32 yards. Johnson indicated, in another expletive-laced outburst, that he was upset that more passes were not directed to him.

“Four?” Johnson said. “I’m supposed to be your best player, but you can’t even get that guy the ball. I don’t give excuses, I just get the job done. All of a sudden, there is a problem this year. How many catches again? Four? That stinks. I probably stink, too.”

EXTRA POINTS

The officials mistakenly gave the Bengals an extra down on their second drive of the game, but it did not help Cincinnati. Carson Palmer threw three consecutive passes before the Bengals punted on what would have been fifth down.

My .02? Palmer is pissed at Henry for dropping balls. CJ is pissed because he's under-utlized and Housh can't understand why they're losing and he's having such a great season. Something's has to give in Cinci and I think you may have seen the last of Chris Henry as the deep threat for at least a few games. They lost the game because of his poor effort and the guy throwing the ball.

If Palmer has any sense at all, he'll find Johnson some more. If the Offensive Coordinator cannot scheme to get Chad open despite Palmer's mechanics then the season (from an NFL and FF perspective) is lost for Chad.

For God's sake shut up. You all hate him when he talks trash, and you hate him if he is emotional afterwards. I'd want him on my team, it shows how passionate he truly is for winning and his team. I guess you guys would rather have a stoic figure who doesn't care huh?

:D

lol @ being immature considered "passionate" or maturity considered "stoic"

We hate him because he's an immature egomaniac. boo hoo.