[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Why don't the Pat's utilize MARONEY more?

showtyme5

How can you not give this guy the ball 20-30 times a game, ESPECIALLY against the Colts run D??? That was some of the poorest playcalling I've seen in a while. All they had to do was line up and run it down their throats with the Maroney/Dillon combo. And if they had any sense at all, they'd give more carries to Maroney because the guy is a friggin stud. Dillon averaged less than 4 yds yesterday against the Colts and lost a fumble. Will someone knock some sense into Belichek and tell the guy to make Maroney his workhorse please??!! Unbelievable. They came out in the second half and were throwing every down as if they were down 20 points. Then, they'd put Maroney in on 2nd and 10 and the Colts would stack the box (blitz Bob Sanders) and blow the obvious running play up. Then, it's 3rd and long. The Pat's absolutely blew this game with their offensive playcalling imo......

I really agree with you 100%.

They should have stuck with Maroney/Dillon combo. And Say What Willis? is with Bellicheck putting them in each for 1-2 plays. How does he expect them to get any momentum. I can understand swapping during drives or even first downs but he was swapping evem damn down.

Totally stupid IMO. Also, why in hell is Faulk in there? Maroney can catch the ball and block as well as Faulk and Faulk dropped two crucial passes one being an Int.

I am not a PATS homer but I do like the PATS (despite being a Jets fan).

Bad move by Bellicheck

Word. I thought C-Dill looked pretty strong too, but agree about the overswapping and overinclusion of Faulk.

All they had to do was run run run, and mix in some play action - and they might not have been playing catch-up in that 2nd half.

I have to admit, that play calling was crazy last night. :D

Madden hit it on the head several times. All those cute little reverses and crap really wasn't needed especially against the Colts front seven. Everytime they ran at them, they were productive. Not to mention keeping Manning off the field with some sustaining drives. Man, they looked good against the Vikes last week. I was thinking this team looked like it could roll anyone.

I believe the Patriots beat themselves....only because they really could have won this game...

it was almost like they wanted to make it a challenge and pass all the time and run when it would be obvious...

and Manning came out strong...but they stayed on par with him....if they decided to run more when the 2nd half started, they could have taken control of the game just by tying it, rather than needing to take the lead..

....so you're saying Biledik can go blank himself?...

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. Maroney is clearly ready for more playing time, but won't get it this year. He may not even get it if Dillon gets injured. He'd probably swap in Faulk every other play.

For goodness sake why didn't the Patriots ram the ball down Indys throat last night. I dont understand. With the worst rushing D in the league why would you throw the ball 35 times against such a questionable defense...

And why was Faulk playing at all last night...geez...Maroney is a horse give the guy the rock, same with Dillon give the guy the rock. :D

It's possible that Maroney hasn't mastered NE's pass-blocking schemes yet... or that BB doesn't trust him at this point.

JMO From the things I have seen over the years watching...

If you are on BB's team, he expects you to contribute. Kevin Faulk, Lawrence Maroney and Corey Dillon all contribute different things to the running/play action game.

Dillon is the ram. When Dillon is in, teams can expect him to pound it up the middle. While this is predictable, it allows for good play action opportunities, and an occasional outlet pass to Dillon for a nice game. That outlet to Dillon unfortunately was tipped and became an INT. Dillon also gives a good veteran presence in the backfield for pass blocking.

Maroney is the slasher. He can ram, and he can cach passes, but mostly he is a deep threat whenever he sweeps to the outside. Most of what he does will be outside runs this season, and again the Pats will use this predictability to set up other opportunities.

Faulk is a wild card. He's their best blocker and their best receiver out of the backfield. He will run it between the tackles and outside the tackles with some success as well, and his presence makes the defense look for different things.

In the end, the point is that BB is always looking to make the other team do mental gymnastics. The more an opposing team has to think about, the more likely it is that they will make a mistake. This is why the TEs catch so many passes, why they run a lot of screens both to the backs and to the WRs, and why the Pats run plays that leave fans scratching their head. I always look at a play that doesn't do much for the team as a play that is setting something up for later, and more often than not it ends up being true.

JMO From the things I have seen over the years watching...

If you are on BB's team, he expects you to contribute. Kevin Faulk, Lawrence Maroney and Corey Dillon all contribute different things to the running/play action game.

Dillon is the ram. When Dillon is in, teams can expect him to pound it up the middle. While this is predictable, it allows for good play action opportunities, and an occasional outlet pass to Dillon for a nice game. That outlet to Dillon unfortunately was tipped and became an INT. Dillon also gives a good veteran presence in the backfield for pass blocking.

Maroney is the slasher. He can ram, and he can cach passes, but mostly he is a deep threat whenever he sweeps to the outside. Most of what he does will be outside runs this season, and again the Pats will use this predictability to set up other opportunities.

Faulk is a wild card. He's their best blocker and their best receiver out of the backfield. He will run it between the tackles and outside the tackles with some success as well, and his presence makes the defense look for different things.

In the end, the point is that BB is always looking to make the other team do mental gymnastics. The more an opposing team has to think about, the more likely it is that they will make a mistake. This is why the TEs catch so many passes, why they run a lot of screens both to the backs and to the WRs, and why the Pats run plays that leave fans scratching their head. I always look at a play that doesn't do much for the team as a play that is setting something up for later, and more often than not it ends up being true.

Yep I get that...makes sense, but I think sometimes you can over plan. And I think they did that and it lost them the game. I mean here is a team, INDY, that is last or next to last in the NFL in rush defense. Wouldn't you want to take gross advantage of that to win a game? I'm all for a balanced attack but I think I would plan an attack that was a little heavier on the run...NE had 35 pass attempts and 33 running attemps.

Yep I get that...makes sense, but I think sometimes you can over plan. And I think they did that and it lost them the game. I mean here is a team, INDY, that is last or next to last in the NFL in rush defense. Wouldn't you want to take gross advantage of that to win a game? I'm all for a balanced attack but I think I would plan an attack that was a little heavier on the run...NE had 35 pass attempts and 33 running attemps.

:D I don't necessarily disagree, and that is something that has been occasionally frustrating as a Pats fan. Honestly, though it's usually a good thing, and not worth getting frustrated over when it backfires every so often.

In a keeper league I'm in I traded Owens for Maroney 4 weeks ago when it looked like Maroney was going to be a stud and TO was still being TO. The TO owner has won 5 in a row and I can't get Maroney off my bench (I have LT and K Jones).

I agree with DevilWoman. Sometimes too much thinkin' is bad for football. :D

Edited by The Holy Roller

In a keeper league I'm in I traded Owens for Maroney 4 weeks ago when it looked like Maroney was going to be a stud and TO was still being TO. The TO owner has won 5 in a row and I can't get Maroney off my bench (I have LT and K Jones).

I agree with DevilWoman. Sometimes too much thinkin' is bad for football. :D

I traded for Maroney and a QB for KJ and Bulger thinking both would come down to earth a little....I'm in a keeper...but this trade has clearly put my season in jeapordy...even though I still have a very very sound squad..