[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Louisville Deserve a Shot in NC

Rockerbraves

Must admit after last Thursday night's game I got caught up in the emotion of a great game and was actually thinking Louisville deserved their shot in the NC game. However now that I've seen that the Cardinals are only a 5 1/2 point favorite over RUTGERS I can't say they deserve to play in the NC game. Ask yourself this. If Florida, Texas, Auburn or USC were playing RUTGERS wouldn't that line would be much higher? No offense to RUTGERS but if Louisville doesn't beat them by 2 TD's or more than they should be taken out of consideration.

Wouldn't it be nice if we had a playoff to settle this whole thing? I mean anyone can present great arguments. I mean Louisville has taken care of business. They played the cards they were dealt, and thus far have won every game. I don't think the Big East is that bad, and they look better than the god awful ACC. WVU, Louisville, and Rutgers, I believe would all win the ACC this year.

I just don't see how you keep Louisville out of the National championship????? They are undeafeated in a BCS confrence!!!! I do know this if I was the president of the BIG EAST and they get overlooked. I would pitch a fit to no end. I would even consider leaving the BCS over it. What good does it do you to go undeafeted in a BCS confrence and then some 1 loss team leaps you!!!! There's no point in being in the d@mm thing then.

well it isn't being overlooked. It is what it is. Louisville is almost certain to be #2 in the polls after mich-osu (if louis stays undefeated) the computer rankings are gonna be what they are gonna be, therefore the bcs is gonna be what its gonna be. Louisville will not be overlooked though, not if you're #2 in the polls.

I just don't see how you keep Louisville out of the National championship????? They are undeafeated in a BCS confrence!!!! I do know this if I was the president of the BIG EAST and they get overlooked. I would pitch a fit to no end. I would even consider leaving the BCS over it. What good does it do you to go undeafeted in a BCS confrence and then some 1 loss team leaps you!!!! There's no point in being in the d@mm thing then.

The point in being in the BCS are those high paying $$$ BCS Bowl games. Now if I were the BCS and the Big East moaned and groaned too much about one of their undefeated teams not making it to the NC, think I would tell them to walk. Big East needs the BCS since it's the only way these teams have a reasonable chance to play in the major bowls. Can't tell me any major bowl wants an undefeated Rutgers or S. Florida team over a major conference team.

Edited by Rockerbraves

Sorry, don't think they are a top 5 team and surely don't belong in the title game.

A one loss Florida or Texas would be much better match up. Or even a rematch of the OSU-Michigan game.

Louisville has NO defense and the better teams in the country would just destroy them. I think it would make for the worst BCS game to date.

If OSU were to lose to Michigan, i would laugh my ass. off if the BCS put in Louisville over the Bucks, just plain crazy. No way they vote in Louisville, the Human votes count 60% of the BCS system and i'm sure the human polls will be sure to NOT put Louisville at #2 in any case.

Sorry, don't think they are a top 5 team and surely don't belong in the title game.

A one loss Florida or Texas would be much better match up. Or even a rematch of the OSU-Michigan game.

Louisville has NO defense and the better teams in the country would just destroy them. I think it would make for the worst BCS game to date.

If OSU were to lose to Michigan, i would laugh my ass. off if the BCS put in Louisville over the Bucks, just plain crazy. No way they vote in Louisville, the Human votes count 60% of the BCS system and i'm sure the human polls will be sure to NOT put Louisville at #2 in any case.

i cannot believe i am saying this, but yes, louisville does not know the meaning of defense, nor does WVU......i do not agree with a rematch to the loser of OSU-Michigan too....u lose you drop back, although still stay way above those tools from South Bend...hee hee

i cannot believe i am saying this, but yes, louisville does not know the meaning of defense, nor does WVU......i do not agree with a rematch to the loser of OSU-Michigan too....u lose you drop back, although still stay way above those tools from South Bend...hee hee

After watching Ball State roll it up on the Maize & Blue, not sure they know how to play much D either.

Wow..I have to disagree with both you guys. Louisville has a legit super star qb and decent team over all. You can say that each league BIG 10 only has 3 decent teams in it...OSU,Wisconsin, and Michigan, The Pac 12 has USC,Cal and Oregon, BIG 12 has Texas,OU, and A&M, SEC has even more Flordia,Ark,Aurburn,and Tenn. The BIG EAST has WVU,Louisville,Rutgers. I just don't see taking a school that's in a BCS league out if they are undeafted. Why should Louisville be punished for what BC, Miami, and Virgina Tech did to the BIG East. BCS does not want the BIG EAST to walk. I would venture to say just to cause a HUGE stink there could be legal grounds in which to throw a huge monkey wrench in the whole system. I'm sure there is a legal argument that Louisville was screwed and loss alot of damages(money) to not getting in. I'm sure that might get some attention and even to threaten it might draw some eye brows raised by the ALIMIGHTY BCS.

The argument would be that Louisville played the cards dealt and because the BCS did not remove the Big East at the time of the departure of BC, Miami, and Va Tech that they accepted the BIG EAST as is. The Cards went undeafted and only 1 other undeafted team in the nation had earned the RIGHT to play for the National Title and as such should receive damages(money of appearance in the game) in other words they should get paid as if they did go to that game. I was the Big East I would be looking into that angle even if just to cause a HUGE DEBATE AND STINK.

Edited by sacosud

There will be a huge debate no matter what happens. This year is the absolute worst nightmare for the BCS. I think if Michigan loses, teh polls will drop them to #3, but they will still have a chance in the computers, but if Ohio State wins, I think Louisville will be there opponent. But if Ohio State loses to Michigan, the rematch will be all but set in stone.

If OSU loses a close game to Mich, there will probably be a rematch. I Mich loses a close game the rematch will probably not happen but at least there would be a chance. If it's a blowout either way, the loser is done and Louisville will get a chance in the NC game(as they should), assuming they stay undefeated.

Edited by Muggsy

If OSU loses a close game to Mich, there will probably be a rematch. I Mich loses a close game the rematch will probably not happen but at least there would be a chance. If it's a blowout either way, the loser is done and Louisville will get a chance in the NC game(as they should), assuming they stay undefeated.

Yes. If you look at the latest BCS, Louisville made considerable ground on both teams. The thing is, if Michigan loses, they will probably fall a lot further than if Ohio State loses. Again, I look at the 03 Sooners, who didn't get any punishment at all after getting blown out by Kansas State in the Big 12 Championship game. While a blow out loss will most likely seal there fate, a close loss for Ohio State means rematch, cuz the pollsters won't drop them that far. They wouldnt drop below 3, and they might even just drop to 2. But the thing is... no matter what happens, the BCS is the big loser here because any scenario, is a nightmare scenario.

Agree if Ohio State were to lose a close one they would have the best shot of knocking out Louisville, however keep an eye on Florida IF they should run thru the rest of their schedule without another loss. Gators still have a fan favorite Florida St on their schedule along with the SEC Championship game to impress the pollsters. If Michigan losses to Ohio St & Texas were to lose any of their remaining games and Florida win out I could see them passing up an undefeated Louisville team and a one loss Michigan team.

Heard something the other day that makes sense. Louisville fans should hope that Texas doesn't lose any games because Texas acts like a buffer between the number 3 and 4th spot since pollsters split their votes between Texas and Florida. A Texas loss would mean more votes for Florida.

If Louisville wins out and beats Rutgers easily, they are in no matter what happens.

Louisville better make a long lasting statement this week cause they fall off the radiar for the rest of the season. Not much to gain by beating up Pitt and Connecticut while the big boys will be playing top ten and in some cases top five competition.

Last time I can recall a team like Cardinals getting a shot for the NC was way back in 1988 when an undefeated West Virginia had their shot against Lou Holtz's Irish. Needless to say the game went as most would have expected with Notre Dame easily handling the Mountaineers 34-21. The game wasn't as close as the score indicates.

Edited by Rockerbraves

Well last year West VA (who has pretty much the exact same team this year) beat down UGA (Shockley at QB and a better defense) in the Sugar Bowl. So I wouldn't completely count Louisville out if they do get in. The Big East will never get any credit even when they do have a team with Top 5 talent.

Ahh yes, that game where Georgia forgot there was a game going on until it was too late? That game? WVU won't catch anyone off guard like that this year, as clearly evident last Thursday getting stomped on.

If Louisville wins out and beats Rutgers easily, they are in no matter what happens.

Absolutely brutal. I would give them props for running the table in the Big East. NC game?? please, many better teams denied that chance in recent years- They need a playoff system so badly, I am seriouly losing interest in NCAA football with this sh1t. Go to a platyoff format and be down with this. NCAA is becoming a more even field every year- this year many quality 1, even 2 loss teams that could do some damage.

FWIW, I would have Louisville as an #8 seed in a playoff format.........

Ahh yes, that game where Georgia forgot there was a game going on until it was too late? That game? WVU won't catch anyone off guard like that this year, as clearly evident last Thursday getting stomped on.

I'm just saying Louisville has the capability to play with a top team. And whether they forogt there was a game going on or not, UGA got their ass handed to them last year. 38-28 or whatever the final was is a lot closer than the game really was. And for all the people that say their schedule doesn't make it right for them to be in the National Title game, they have a little bit weaker schedule than OSU and Mich on paper. So I dont see one of those 2 teams losing and staying ahead of Louisville.

Absolutely brutal. I would give them props for running the table in the Big East. NC game?? please, many better teams denied that chance in recent years- They need a playoff system so badly, I am seriouly losing interest in NCAA football with this sh1t. Go to a platyoff format and be down with this. NCAA is becoming a more even field every year- this year many quality 1, even 2 loss teams that could do some damage.

I agree there should definitely be playoffs. At least if their isnt playoffs, make it where all the out of conference game are against big conferences. For instance each year they rotate, like SEC plays ACC next year, Big 10 plays Big 12, Pac 10 plays Big East and so on so we can see who's for real. There is no reason why teams like UF are playing D-1AA Western Caroline (they have like 2 wins in D-1AA football) and FSU playing Western Michigan. The big schools need to play each other.

I'm just saying Louisville has the capability to play with a top team. And whether they forogt there was a game going on or not, UGA got their ass handed to them last year. 38-28 or whatever the final was is a lot closer than the game really was. And for all the people that say their schedule doesn't make it right for them to be in the National Title game, they have a little bit weaker schedule than OSU and Mich on paper. So I dont see one of those 2 teams losing and staying ahead of Louisville.

West Virginia 38 Georgia 35 in a game where WVU outgained Georgia by 1 yard 502 to 501. Hardly a slaughtering. It was a game where WVU jumped off to a 28-0 lead early in the 2nd quarter, and then Georgia realized that there was a bowl game going on. I'm not taking anything away from West Virginia in there big bowl win last year, but people keep pointing to that game like it is some sort of justification for them being ranked very high. It was a great win no doubt, but Georgia underestimated them BIG TIME. The bottom line is, both Louisville and West Virginia are very flawed teams, and I doubt either one of them could go to Austin and South Bend and handle those teams with the relative ease that Ohio State and Michigan did.

I agree there should definitely be playoffs. At least if their isnt playoffs, make it where all the out of conference game are against big conferences. For instance each year they rotate, like SEC plays ACC next year, Big 10 plays Big 12, Pac 10 plays Big East and so on so we can see who's for real. There is no reason why teams like UF are playing D-1AA Western Caroline (they have like 2 wins in D-1AA football) and FSU playing Western Michigan. The big schools need to play each other.

The problem is these schools schedule teams YEARS in advance. I would love to see that sort of conference vs conference challenge like they do in basketball. But under the current system, whats the incentive to do that? I applaud Ohio State and Texas for going at it even though it sucks for the loser.

The problem is these schools schedule teams YEARS in advance. I would love to see that sort of conference vs conference challenge like they do in basketball. But under the current system, whats the incentive to do that? I applaud Ohio State and Texas for going at it even though it sucks for the loser.

It's probably more about the $$$ money. Let's face it, most top programs like Ohio State & Texas are going to sellout every home game regardless of who they play. So what is the incentive to play a home and away series with another top program which would mean both programs losing a sellout home game every other year. Now it's different for independent teams like Notre Dame and the old Florida State and Miami teams that use to be independent thinking the TV revenues would make up the difference and no splitting of revenues among the other conference teams.

Heck the SEC is now playing 8 conference games which means 4 home and 4 away. Before they extended the schedule to 12 games no one wanted to give up one of the 3 remainding home games. I'm guessing that's one reason why college football has moved to a 12 game schedule to encourage more exciting interconference play which requires home and away series.

Edited by Rockerbraves