[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What happens "IF" Rutgers beats WVU?

keggerz

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see any way Rutgers beats WVU. I know this is a what if thread but I could see RU losing by 21 in a few weeks.

This is actually great for Rutgers. Like you I'm thinking the same kind of blowout. Now with that said IF Rutgers wins that game and they get by Cincy this weekend I might start seriously thinking of throwing my support to Rutgers for a shot at the NC. Again I don't think it will happen, but if it does?

Again, arguing out of both sides of your mouth. If you have a problem with the schedule, then demand that all these "quality" opponents sign up to play the Big East teams. West Virginia, Louisville, and probably most everyone else isn't backing down from playing a BCS team from another conference. They may not win them all, but the more chances they get the more chances they win and disprove this silly concept that the Big East is a conference built on its own "weak schedules" and "playing nobody".

As far as teams adding quality opponents, I'd look at Georgia for one example. They've already signed up Louisville for a home-and-home beginning in 2009. It remains to be seen if they actually HONOR it, but the contract is on paper. The Cards are also in talks with LSU, some Pac-10 teams, and other Big XII programs. We'll see what comes of that.

Sure, MOST teams are choosing to make their 12th team a I-AA opponent. Doesn't make it right and CERTAINLY doesn't give fans of those teams any right to throw stones at the Big East teams who AREN'T playing lower-division competition (see the OOC records) and are making the best of a bad scheduling situation.

Ok once again, I need to explain this again. I'm not saying that anyone STINKS because of the schedule they played. But I don't think anyone should be rewarded anything over teams that do play out of conference teams. BTW, it's very unlikely anyone will back out of a home and home contract. It happens once in awhile, but not often. If theres a contract, Georgia will play.

And you say MOST teams added a 12th game of a superior opponent. Please enlighten me as to who those teams were. Which MAJOR conference favorite scheduled another MAJOR conference favorite. It's just a reality. Look, Louisville had Miami on there schedule. They had no idea they were gonna be complete junk. West Virginia had Maryland, who is actually turning out to be a pretty good win, and a team that isn't a complete also-ran. All anyone is saying though, is given this year, and the EX-CLUSIVE system that we have before us, no one is going to convince me that undefeated Rutgers is better than 1 loss Florida, or after this weekend, 1 loss Michigan/Ohio State, 1 loss USC etc. At the end of the day... ASK YOURSELF this one question. Is Rutgers one of the top TWO teams in the nation?

And you say MOST teams added a 12th game of a superior opponent. Please enlighten me as to who those teams were. Which MAJOR conference favorite scheduled another MAJOR conference favorite.

Might want to give reading comprehension a try. I conceded the point that MOST BCS schools are scheduling I-AA opponents as their 12th games. It IS rare that an LSU, Auburn, or several other title contenders look at another date to schedule and decide challenging a fellow contender is in their best interests. Still, when folks in this thread dismiss another program for NOT scheduling quality OOC opponents they need to ALSO take to task programs who won't set up those dates.

The flawed thinking by SEC, Pac-10, Big XII, etc homers is that teams like Rutgers, Louisville (once upon a time), etc choose to play UTEP, Temple, and Middle Tennessee State to make their road to the BCS an easier one. That's just plain untrue as a blanket statement. The fact is that teams like Georgia Tech, NC State, and Vanderbilt as well as many other BCS conference teams back out of scheduled home-and-homes (all three did just that to Louisville even when there was a contract in place) while the REAL BIG BOYS like LSU, Auburn, and Florida State (down now, but you get the idea) won't even return phone calls to these Big East programs.

If you asked me even as an unbiased Big East observer, I'd say Rutgers' possible inclusion in the title game has the potential to reap great rewards for all of college football. The thinking has always been "if we avoid certain conferences, we can probably bump them from a title game BECAUSE their SOS will be so bad". But just like mid-major hoops programs figured out a way to beat the RPI system and the scheduling odds stacked against them, it appears that Big East teams have figured out a way to overcome a shallow opponent pool and make real noise on the BCS stage. If the Knights got all the way to the title game, one of two things would likely happen:

BAD - ALL BCS teams start scheduling nothing but cream puffs OOC and then do their best to get out of conference play unscathed. Hope this wouldn't take place, but it IS more likely than...

GOOD - Other BCS conferences realize if someone is going to keep Rutgers/Louisville/West Virginia from going undefeated, they are going to have to set up dates to do it themselves. Suddenly we get Louisville/Notre Dame, Rutgers/Penn State, West Virginia/Boston College or whatever else for a much more interesting non-conference slate and an opportunity for these "whodya play" teams to prove their mettle.

Summarizing my counterpoint, I honestly don't want to hear teams like Florida, Texas, and USC b itching about being left out of a title game by an undefeated Rutgers team as long as their continues to be documented proof that the conference-mates of those teams avoid the Big East 9 offers out of 10. If anyone wants to PROVE that Louisville, West Virginia, and Rutgers aren't BCS-worthy, then schedule them and beat their ever-living as ses. Until then, again... SHUT UP.

I don't see any way Rutgers beats WVU. I know this is a what if thread but I could see RU losing by 21 in a few weeks.

This is actually great for Rutgers. Like you I'm thinking the same kind of blowout. Now with that said IF Rutgers wins that game and they get by Cincy this weekend I might start seriously thinking of throwing my support to Rutgers for a shot at the NC. Again I don't think it will happen, but if it does?

Just remember that they were underdogs on the road to S. Florida, Navy, and Pitt. They were underdogs to Louisville at home. Everyone said they had no chance against Louisville. And there were a couple of big plays that went against RU and they still won. I just hope they get some respect if they win against WVU, instead of everyone saying the BE sucks and Rutgers shouldn't even be mentioned. I think their Defense is for real, and their young QB/WRs will make or break that final game.

There's a lot of football left and I hope they don't sleep on Cincy this weekend.

If they run the ball and control the clock, I believe their Defense can keep them in this game.

I love all the Rutgers talk...good and bad. At least their name is out there so it'll be easier for them in upcoming years.

If Rutgers goes undefeated they will play the loser of OSU and Michigan IMO unless of course all the 1 loss teams now end up with 2 losses then we will have the rematch of OSU and Michigan in the NC game and Rutgers will play one of the 2 loss teams in a BCS game.

Can we agree the Big East doesn't deserve to send an undefeated team?

27-3 Cincy over undefeated Rutgers

*cough ahem cough*

[sEC Party Line]This just proves how deep and talented the Big East is. Every team can beat any other team on any given Saturday. Even the mighty Ohio State Buckeyes struggled with Cincinnati for three quarters. It's not fair that a one-loss Florida team will go to the national title game in such a cake conference. Rutgers, Louisville, and West Virginia would all steamroll the Gators and expose them for the team they really are.[/sEC Party Line]

*cough ahem cough*

[sEC Party Line]This just proves how deep and talented the Big East is. Every team can beat any other team on any given Saturday. Even the mighty Ohio State Buckeyes struggled with Cincinnati for three quarters. It's not fair that a one-loss Florida team will go to the national title game in such a cake conference. Rutgers, Louisville, and West Virginia would all steamroll the Gators and expose them for the team they really are.[/sEC Party Line]

What will your response be when all 3 teams get smashed in bowl games?

What will your response be when all 3 teams get smashed in bowl games?

You mean, kinda like in 2005 when:

West Virginia 38, Georgia 35

Wisconsin 24, Auburn 10

Missouri 38, South Carolina 31

If it weren't for LSU publicly undressing Miami's commencement towards mediocrity, what possible reason would the SEC have to toot their horn about bowl performances?

Let's let the Big East teams play those bowl games before passing judgment on their 2006-2007 status.

Edited by CardinalEmpire.com

If it weren't for LSU publicly undressing Miami's commencement towards mediocrity, what possible reason would the SEC have to toot their horn about bowl performances?

LSU has earned a reputation of abusing their opponents. Mentioned this stat before and it held up again this weekend with Bama losing to Auburn. Teams who played LSU the week before are now 0-10 against the point spread the following week. That's physical football!