[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Done with Eli

Lady.hawke

This is it. He is not his brother, not even close. I shall now bench him and play Rivers of San Diego. I know there was a thread about this last week that I did not jump upon. Please consider it jumped.

Much like the stock market once the masses give up all hope the market tends to rise. Not sure if the Eli stock has reached that point, but kind of figure it has. Start Eli this week with confidence!

Sleeping Giant

By Tristan H. Cockcroft

ESPN.com

Sometimes, the bye week seems to help players rest and rejuvenate themselves for the long schedule ahead. For others, especially those in the midst of hot streaks, it throws them off track and brings their level of play back down to earth. (For an instance of the latter, look at the Titans' Travis Henry in Weeks 5-6, compared to Weeks 8-9 after the bye.)

The latter certainly seems to describe Giants quarterback Eli Manning, doesn't it? The third-year quarterback appeared on his way to a monster breakout season in his first three games, totaling 893 passing yards with eight touchdowns as he helped rally his team to a comeback victory in Philadelphia (Week 2) and a near-comeback in Seattle (Week 3). While the rest of his team, particularly the defense, seemed to struggle out of the gate, Manning looked like a poised, confident, accurate thrower unfazed by the task of regularly playing in shoot-outs.

Unfortunately, while the bye in Week 4 apparently helped Manning's teammates, especially that aforementioned defense, refresh themselves, the quarterback himself has looked like an entirely different passer since. In the six games since the bye, he has averaged 179.8 passing yards and completed only seven TD passes, while being intercepted six times. His Week 10 effort -- if you can call it effort -- was a season-worst 121-yard, 0-TD, 2-interception stinker that cost his owners a minus-2 on the scoreboard, marking the third straight week in which his fantasy point total has declined. In fact, Manning topped 13 points each time from Weeks 1-3, but now he hasn't done it since Week 7 at Dallas.

You can blame some of Manning's troubles on his opponent, the Bears, but for those who watched the game, it's still apparent that Manning is suffering from inaccuracy with his throws. He regularly overthrows his receivers, often relying on Plaxico Burress to make acrobatic catches of late, and often makes ill-advised attempts that go for easy picks. Chicago's defense might not have been an attractive matchup for Manning, but judging from the performance, he wouldn't have been that successful against anyone on Sunday.

Manning has a bright future ahead, for sure, but it's clear he needs more time to get comfortable as a passer, especially with his team so ravaged by injuries. Burress has been limited by back problems of late, hurting his chances of helping Manning out on tough throws, and with Amani Toomer out for the season, there aren't as many receiving options Manning trusts right now. Plus, with a schedule that doesn't get any more forgiving -- the Giants travel to Jacksonville next -- this up-and-down play doesn't seem likely to go away anytime soon. He's still a top-10 caliber quarterback and a top keeper, but there are cases where a favorable matchup for your alternatives would be a smarter option in the short term.

Sleeping Giant

By Tristan H. Cockcroft

ESPN.com

Sometimes, the bye week seems to help players rest and rejuvenate themselves for the long schedule ahead. For others, especially those in the midst of hot streaks, it throws them off track and brings their level of play back down to earth. (For an instance of the latter, look at the Titans' Travis Henry in Weeks 5-6, compared to Weeks 8-9 after the bye.)

The latter certainly seems to describe Giants quarterback Eli Manning, doesn't it? The third-year quarterback appeared on his way to a monster breakout season in his first three games, totaling 893 passing yards with eight touchdowns as he helped rally his team to a comeback victory in Philadelphia (Week 2) and a near-comeback in Seattle (Week 3). While the rest of his team, particularly the defense, seemed to struggle out of the gate, Manning looked like a poised, confident, accurate thrower unfazed by the task of regularly playing in shoot-outs.

Unfortunately, while the bye in Week 4 apparently helped Manning's teammates, especially that aforementioned defense, refresh themselves, the quarterback himself has looked like an entirely different passer since. In the six games since the bye, he has averaged 179.8 passing yards and completed only seven TD passes, while being intercepted six times. His Week 10 effort -- if you can call it effort -- was a season-worst 121-yard, 0-TD, 2-interception stinker that cost his owners a minus-2 on the scoreboard, marking the third straight week in which his fantasy point total has declined. In fact, Manning topped 13 points each time from Weeks 1-3, but now he hasn't done it since Week 7 at Dallas.

You can blame some of Manning's troubles on his opponent, the Bears, but for those who watched the game, it's still apparent that Manning is suffering from inaccuracy with his throws. He regularly overthrows his receivers, often relying on Plaxico Burress to make acrobatic catches of late, and often makes ill-advised attempts that go for easy picks. Chicago's defense might not have been an attractive matchup for Manning, but judging from the performance, he wouldn't have been that successful against anyone on Sunday.

Manning has a bright future ahead, for sure, but it's clear he needs more time to get comfortable as a passer, especially with his team so ravaged by injuries. Burress has been limited by back problems of late, hurting his chances of helping Manning out on tough throws, and with Amani Toomer out for the season, there aren't as many receiving options Manning trusts right now. Plus, with a schedule that doesn't get any more forgiving -- the Giants travel to Jacksonville next -- this up-and-down play doesn't seem likely to go away anytime soon. He's still a top-10 caliber quarterback and a top keeper, but there are cases where a favorable matchup for your alternatives would be a smarter option in the short term.

For the sake of my keeper league I hope he doesn't figure it out for 3 more weeks...

Having been concerned about Eli and my team for quite awhile, I pulled a seemingly one-sided deal at the trading deadline to get him some help (among other things). I didn't want to throw him out there this week and next (against Jax) as I needed to not lose any more games at 5-4. In the trade I got Delhomme thinking that he breaks out a bit tonight and next week (banking on Steve Smith helping him a lot...) and just decided not to sit and watch while waiting for Vince Young to mature in Eli's place as my starting QB...lol. As it turns out, I go into tonights game up two points, and just needing Del-homey to be not absolutely horrible.

I do feel your pain, and I acted to try to head it off. Jury is out on the results.