[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is Mike Bell done in Denver?

FishFreak

Is Bronco nation in uproar right now? Winning cures everything but IMO, Shanny almost cost the Broncos yesterday with his silly mind games. Making Mike Bell inactive was a complete joke as Tatum Bell and Plummer struggled. If the Raiders weren't so incompetent, it would have been an embarassing loss.

Bronco Billy said it best, the Broncos offense doesn't function well with Tatum Bell starting. They just don't get anything going. When Mike Bell gets touches, everything seems to run much better for what ever reason. I didn't think it was possible for an offensive genius to turn into a dunce.

Deleted my own thread on the subject. This was my topic post:

So if Mike Bell is inactivated after a 17 rush for 28 yds & 40 yds receiving vs the #10 run D in the NFL, then what happens to Tatum Bell after his 14 rush for 37 yds & -2 yds receiving vs the #31 run D in the NFL? Demote Tatum to cleaning bathrooms for the next game?

Hey, Mike, didja' notice you're back to scoring 17 points against a weak team again without any inside rushing presence? Didja' also notice that Plummer was forced to stay in the pocket without the inside rushing presence & that Plummer threw 3 INTs again? I know you're paid to coach football & I'm not, but how much more obvious does it have to get before it can penetrate that giqantic ego of yours that T Bell is nothing better than a 3rd down RB who cripples your offense when he is used as a featured RB?

:majorfrustration:

i must admit to being completely baffled by that move yesterday. shanny, what the F*CK were you thinking? damien nash and twinkletoes tatum? gee, who are we gonna go to in short yardage, the fat worthless POS castoff who can't receive a handoff, or the little 4.3 scatback who is getting even less push than usual because his little piggies went to market? that idiocy could have easily cost them the game yesterday. :D

Is Bronco nation in uproar right now? Winning cures everything but IMO, Shanny almost cost the Broncos yesterday with his silly mind games. Making Mike Bell inactive was a complete joke as Tatum Bell and Plummer struggled. If the Raiders weren't so incompetent, it would have been an embarassing loss.

Bronco Billy said it best, the Broncos offense doesn't function well with Tatum Bell starting. They just don't get anything going. When Mike Bell gets touches, everything seems to run much better for what ever reason. I didn't think it was possible for an offensive genius to turn into a dunce.

That statement is comical considering the Broncos are 7-2.

What's so comical about it? I know they are winning and have a good record but the Bronco D is carrying this team. You can be 7-2 and want to improve on offense right? They just don't seem to score many points when Tatum is starting or taking the majority of the carries. The numbers don't lie.

But the fact that Denver is 7-2 doesn't have much to do with their offense. Were they to have had an average defense this year they could be more like 2-7 with so few efforts that scored over 17 points. They have only gone 1-2 when their opponents have scored more than 13 points. When you get to the playoffs, you have to assume you will be facing teams that can score more than 13 points.

Brent, you can't count on 5 red zone turnovers every week. Our defense is saving our offense's butt every week in miraculous and wonderful ways, but something must be done... because as a fan, I feel way luckier than proud right now.

Seriously... W_T_F, Shanny????

I know! Let's bench Mike Bell!!! He's only had the most spectacular rushing game of the year so far. We've got to take a look at Damien Nash as he fumbles easy hand offs! Yeah! Practice squad guys deserve a shot heading into the playoffs against our biggest division rival on a hot streak. Great! Brilliant!

But... bench Plummer? No way. We can't even think about that. You're too f'ing smart to do that. After all, he only threw 3 interceptions! And we won!

This whole year has been very troubling. If we weren't winning, people would be all over Shanahan for this crap. He should be sending hookers and Kristal to Champ Bailey for saving his ass week in and week out.

if Shanahan's inflated ego is as inflated as is now expected... i can only surmise one explanation.

Shanahan, for whatever reason, seems to think that he MUST find 2 RBs. I understand this is what he wants to do now with the success he had with Anderson/Bell.

In his continued search to make an Anderson/Bell part II Redux and due to his massively inflated ego, he took this OAK game lightly in that he'd plug and play another practice squad guy treating the situation as a preseason game so he can evaluate what ELSE he has.

one can only hope he NOW realizes he has only 1 RB, MAYBE one other, that is worth a damn. it's beyond me, really. that said when getting involved in this DEN RB mess you have to expect a certain amount of this crap.

i agree with what was already said re: Shanahan... if the Broncos were 5-4, Broncos' fans would be outraged with what he's been doing. unless he does something to improve the offense, they can expect an early exit from the playoffs again b/c that D will not carry them all the way.

Based on Shanny's decision to inactivate Mike Bell, I decided to switch out Tiki for Tatum. I assumed Tatum would get 95%+ of the carries and torch the Oakland D, while Tiki would only get 70 yards, 0 TDs against the Bears. Doh! :D

It's become apparent that Tatum just isn't the guy. He seems to fall down quite easily after first contact and doesn't have the cutting ability Mike displayed two weeks ago.

Edited by WorstCoachingEver

From John Clayton:

The reason Broncos rookie halfback Mike Bell and tight end Tony Scheffler were inactive Sunday came down to decisions by Mike Shanahan about their performances lately. It had nothing to do with discipline. The Broncos thought Mike Bell left too many yards on the field last week against the Steelers, so they went with Tatum Bell as the starter. Tatum Bell missed last week's game with toe injuries on each foot. Scheffler has three starts but he only has six catches for 67 yards in eight games. Shanahan wanted to go another way.

Ok, Shanny. I guess that LT and LJ should have been benched for their lack of production against Pittsburg too. If this statement is true, Shanny is the dumbest f'ing coach in the NFL...........except for Shell of course.

From John Clayton:

The reason Broncos rookie halfback Mike Bell and tight end Tony Scheffler were inactive Sunday came down to decisions by Mike Shanahan about their performances lately. It had nothing to do with discipline. The Broncos thought Mike Bell left too many yards on the field last week against the Steelers, so they went with Tatum Bell as the starter. Tatum Bell missed last week's game with toe injuries on each foot. Scheffler has three starts but he only has six catches for 67 yards in eight games. Shanahan wanted to go another way.

Ok, Shanny. I guess that LT and LJ should have been benched for their lack of production against Pittsburg too. If this statement is true, Shanny is the dumbest f'ing coach in the NFL...........except for Shell of course.

What a copout! If that's the way he operates, then Plummer would be picking splinters out of his ass by now. Give me a break. This kid single-handedly almost wins the game against the Colts -- in one half, mind you -- and against a tough run defense in Pittsburgh, he left yards on the field? Why didn't he bench the o-line for that very same reason??

Can't wait until he sees how many yards Tatum Bell left on the field this week. Maybe he'll activate himself to run the ball next week.

From John Clayton:

:D:bash::D

From John Clayton:

If this is true then Mike Bell looks to be done fantasy wise. Shanny seems to have it out for this kid. In limited action he's played well. It's ashame how some coaches just refuse to play certain guys. I remember when LJ was in Vermeil's doghouse and couldn't do anything to get on the field until Priest just started breaking down.

If this is true then Mike Bell looks to be done fantasy wise. Shanny seems to have it out for this kid. In limited action he's played well. It's ashame how some coaches just refuse to play certain guys. I remember when LJ was in Vermeil's doghouse and couldn't do anything to get on the field until Priest just started breaking down.

The funny thing is that M Bell is the ideal RB to salve Shanahan's ego. An undrafted RB that he discovers & turns into a 1200 yd rusher? That falls right in line with finding TD & M Anderson with 6th rounders & O Gary with a 4th rounder.

I also think that Shanahan changed his ideal for RBs when Portis stepped onto the field with DEN. When Portis exploded here with back-to-back 1500+ yd rushing seasons, Shanahan suddenly fell in love with speed, where he didn't consider that a critical quality earlier. Look at who he's tried to groom into the featured RB role after Portis was traded: Q Griffin & T Bell. Both guys are burners in the open field, but can't run through trash to save their lives.

When Q Griffin failed miserably & Droughns & Anderson then took up the yoke & put up great results, I had high hopes that Shanahan had lost his penchant for a homerun hitter for a more productive plow-horse type RB. Instead, he is still enamored with T Bell & the offense has gone down the tubes. Every excuse you hear about T Bell & his crappy ypc & plethora of 2 yd or less runs is that he's a threat to take it to the house every play. I've heard that so often this year by the T Bell apologists that I'm ready to puke if I hear it again.

If you're starting a less productive RB because he's a threat to hit the homerun once in a while, then he'd damn well better hit a homerun once in a while. T Bell so far? A double, a couple of long singles, and a sh!tload of swings & misses. Not even close to taking one the distance one time this year - after more than half a season. This is just a load of crap. M Bell has longer runs than T Bell.

This whole situation smells. I've said it before - I don't care if it's M Bell, or Cobbs, or Nash who gets the rock, as long as they can keep Plummer out of 3rd & longs. But Tatum Bell has had tons of opportunity over the past 3 seasons, and all he's shown us is that he's a 3rd down RB and nothing more, no matter how hard Shanny wishes he would be.

Edited by Bronco Billy

absolutely baffling. i was hoping there was some underlying disciplinary reason behind this, but nope. yeah mike bell didn't rip off a ton of yards against pittsburgh, but they were stacking 8 guys in the box forcing plummer to beat them, and even though pitt sux this year they have enough talent in their front 7 + polamalu to stuff the run if they commit that heavily to it. you think damien f'n nash woulda done better against them, shanny? :D what a terrible decision that was. :D