[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

This is what really sucks

detlef

OK, I'll get off my SEC high horse. I do think they have by far the deepest conference, but the top teams have shown that they simply aren't among the top 2-3 in the country. The strength of the SEC is that the 8th best team still has enough talent to spank you if you're not careful but that doesn't mean FLA deserves a shot at OSU/Mich.

Here's the scewed up part. Say OSU beats Michigan by say 10 points. Not a drubbing, but not an epic battle either. Notre Dame beats USC, W Virginia beats Rutgers, and FLA loses to Ark. Does Notre Dame get the nod over Mich? A team that beat them soundly in their own house?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I'll get off my SEC high horse. I do think they have by far the deepest conference, but the top teams have shown that they simply aren't among the top 2-3 in the country. The strength of the SEC is that the 8th best team still has enough talent to spank you if you're not careful but that doesn't mean FLA deserves a shot at OSU/Mich.

Here's the scewed up part. Say OSU beats Michigan by say 10 points. Not a drubbing, but not an epic battle either. Notre Dame beats USC, W Virginia beats Rutgers, and FLA loses to Ark. Does Notre Dame get the nod over Mich? A team that beat them soundly in their own house?

I would think Arkansas would be next in line, if they beat Florida in the SEC title game. No way ND gets in over Michigan imo

Forget Arkansas they will lose to LSU so the Hogs are out.

Wow, you sound so sure there, RB. How much $ are you putting on that one? McFadden is looking very good...

On the potential Big10 rematch in the NC, I think the loser at the Shoe this week might stay slightly ahead of USC on Sunday's poll (barring a blowout loss), but only by the skin of their teeth. Then if/when USC beats ND and UCLA, the Trojans pull ahead to make it a classic Rose bowl matchup, but out in the desert.

But if Rutgers can beat WVU, it will be tough to keep them out. Unless they barely win and USC blows out their last 3. If Rutgers loses to WVU & USC loses to ND, Arkansas & Michigan will fight it out for #2. ND would be #4.

So the real answer is, who knows?? I love college football....

Edited by Coffeeman

Wow, you sound so sure there, RB. How much $ are you putting on that one? McFadden is looking very good...

On the potential Big10 rematch in the NC, I think the loser at the Shoe this week might stay slightly ahead of USC on Sunday's poll (barring a blowout loss), but only by the skin of their teeth. Then if/when USC beats ND and UCLA, the Trojans pull ahead to make it a classic Rose bowl matchup, but out in the desert.

But if Rutgers can beat WVU, it will be tough to keep them out. Unless they barely win and USC blows out their last 3. If Rutgers loses to WVU & USC loses to ND, Arkansas & Michigan will fight it out for #2. ND would be #4.

So the real answer is, who knows?? I love college football....

Problem with betting on the Tigers vs. the Hogs is that LSU will likely be the favorite again on the road when facing a top ten team. LSU will win but can't say for sure they will cover the spread vs. Arkansas. Heck the Hogs are only a 2 TD favorite over Miss St Bulldogs! That doesn't sound like a NC contender, now does it?

What happens under the following scenario

Cal beats USC

USC hammers Notre Dame (should happen, ND IS GARBAGE!)

LSU beats Arkansas

Arkansas turns around and beats Fla in SEC Championship game

WVU beats Rutgers

That's the easiest scenario to tell what will happen. A rematch of OSU-MICH would be a certain.

That's the easiest scenario to tell what will happen. A rematch of OSU-MICH would be a certain.

The more I think about a rematch the more it doesn't really bother me. In basketball it almost came down to an all SEC championship game. If indeed there was a true playoff in college football a rematch between Ohio State and Michigan would certainly be a possibility.

The more I think about a rematch the more it doesn't really bother me. In basketball it almost came down to an all SEC championship game. If indeed there was a true playoff in college football a rematch between Ohio State and Michigan would certainly be a possibility.

Can't compare hoops and football. The more I look at it- I am liking an OSU-USC matchup more and more. BCS is garbage, but out of this mess an undefeated OSU v. a 1 loss USC team would be the best game.

One thing... I do want to see Big Ten vs Pac 10 in the Rose Bowl. A rematch and/or USC at #2 would prevent that from happening. But all growing up in Big Ten country, it was never about winning a national championship. It was always about... GOING TO THE GRAND DADDY! To me it was always the ultimate cultural match up. Laid back midwesterners going out to La La land.

Edited by GWPFFL BrianW

Can't compare hoops and football. The more I look at it- I am liking an OSU-USC matchup more and more. BCS is garbage, but out of this mess an undefeated OSU v. a 1 loss USC team would be the best game.

The point I'm trying to make is if there were a football playoff, chances of a rematch between any two conference teams in any given year would be a real possibility provided they seeded the teams correctly and just didn't blindly place the two teams on the same side of the bracket to avoid a rematch. Not saying I want to see Michigan and Ohio State play again in the NC, but if those 2 are the most deserving teams at the end of the season, so be it. No one really wanted to see an all SEC basketball final either, but can't imagine any of the two conference teams backing away if they got there by the rules in place.

That would be unfortunate. Suppose UM wins the first game, then loses the second or vice versa? Then what happens, turn it into a best of 3?

They really need to avoid this, as it would be as bad as 3 undefeated monster teams at year's end: how do you gauge legitimacy?

BCS sucks anyway.

It is a popularity contest and the most popular team is crowned.

It's still better than the old system....let's say OSU beats UM and ND beats USC..under the old system OSU would play USC in the Rose Bowl, while the #2 team (either FLA, ARK, RU, or ND) would be stuck playing someone else in a different bowl game. Whether or not we like the way they arrive at #s 1 and 2, at least this way they play each other.

I agree, Notre Dame shouldnt play for the title, as long as they have the same amount of Ls as Michigan.

It's happened before. ND beat Florida State years ago during the regular season, but stumbled against (I believe) Boston College the last game of the year, and FS got the nod for the NC game. Now, if the question is "does ND deserve a shot if they win out and Mich. loses Saturday?". The answer is no. Their "D" is horrible. Go Bucks.

There is no possible rosy scenario for the BCS.

We can only pray. The worse it is, the louder the calls for a playoff will become. If only we could get people to start boycotting the bowl games...ahem...

what if Fla, SC, ND, and WYV all win out, and OSU loses 35-34.

Tell me who is more deserving out of those 5, so the BCS is a mess regardless because there will be someone sitting at #3 at the end of college season saying we should be playing for all the marbles.

Well Sarge, SC and ND cannot both win out - Domers are going down out here! But I agree there will be a #3 who deserves a shot, and it most likely will be FLA or the loser at the Shoe this weekend. Happens almost every year. Even going undefeated doesn't always do it for you - sorry Auburn, Rutgers, etc....