[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

This is what really sucks

detlef

Well Sarge, SC and ND cannot both win out - Domers are going down out here! But I agree there will be a #3 who deserves a shot, and it most likely will be FLA or the loser at the Shoe this weekend. Happens almost every year. Even going undefeated doesn't always do it for you - sorry Auburn, Rutgers, etc....

Just curious... Does anyone know how many ranked teams Auburn beat the year they got snubbed? And what was their preseason ranking?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious... Does anyone know how many ranked teams Auburn beat the year they got snubbed? And what was their preseason ranking?

No offense to Auburn fans, but I think the BCS picked the right two teams that year. Gonna sound bias cause I am, but believe that was the year LSU had them beat at Auburn when their kicker missed the game winning kick and LSU got called for a call I've never seen before for supposely leaping on another player when attempting to block the kick. That gave Auburn another shot at the game winning kick and he made it. That being said, Auburn was lucky to have gone undefeated that season. FYI: The following year at LSU believe that kicker had anther chance to kick a game winner and missed again. Crowd went crazy!

Now that didn't sound to bias, now did it? :D

It doesn't appear that many. I found their 2004 schedule and the only teams that it appears may have been ranked were LSU, Georgia, and Tenn. The only other team of note on their schedule that year was Alabama. Other than that, they played the two Miss teams and Kentucky in league and had a super easy out of conference schedule.

From what I recall, they started out the season in the high teens in terms of ranking.

It doesn't appear that many. I found their 2004 schedule and the only teams that it appears may have been ranked were LSU, Georgia, and Tenn. The only other team of note on their schedule that year was Alabama. Other than that, they played the two Miss teams and Kentucky in league and had a super easy out of conference schedule.

From what I recall, they started out the season in the high teens in terms of ranking.

thanks for all the replies... I can't wait to see how the next 3 weeks turn out for RU

Before I get bashed for what I'm about to say I will admit that ND isn't a great team this year.

Now, why does everyone believe OSU is so deserving of a rematch if they lose on Saturday? Yes they beat Texas early in the year. Who else have they beaten? The Big Ten has 3 good teams. OSU, Michigan (Would have beat OSU in OSU), and Wisconson (OSU didn't play them). Now maybe OSU crushes Michigan and proves they're great. Until then just because the polls say they're great means squat to me.

Now please don't reply with Iowa is good or Penn St is a good win because they're both sub par teams.

Edited by Timmypg

Before I get bashed for what I'm about to say I will admit that ND isn't a great team this year.

Now, why does everyone believe OSU is so deserving of a rematch if they lose on Saturday? Yes they beat Texas early in the year. Who else have they beaten? The Big Ten has 3 good teams. OSU, Michigan (Would have beat OSU in OSU), and Wisconson (OSU didn't play them). Now maybe OSU crushes Michigan and proves they're great. Until then just because the polls say they're great means squat to me.

Now please don't reply with Iowa is good or Penn St is a good win because they're both sub par teams.

Maybe it's because Ohio State didn't only beat their opponents but they covered the spread nearly everytime this season. If Vegas had a top ten list for teams most likely to beat the spread Ohio State would be right up there.

So Ohio State pounds bad teams. That doesn't make them more deserving then USC, Florida, ND, or Rutgers if they win out.

If you have ever gambled it sure as hell does. Those betting lines are pretty darn good at predicting who is going to win the game. Each week's betting line is probably a better indicator of a team's strength than any of the polls we look at today. Here are guys willing to put their money where their mouth is. They don't just make up this crap. They are professional handicappers who research alot more than some media guy who votes in the AP poll or a Coach who really doesn't have time to watch other teams play that votes in the coaches poll.

If most agree that Michigan is the most deserving number #2 team in the nation and the Buckeyes are spotting them 7 then it lets us know OS is a fairly good team and likely very deserving of their #1 ranking at this point in the season. If the game were held at Michigan I can guarantee they wouldn't be a 7 pt favorite.

Granted this is not to say that Ohio State will win Saturday, but give me the Buckeyes in a pick it game as much as you want to wager. I'll take that bet. I say let the odds makers pick the NC game. And we'll get the two best football teams not the most deserving teams in the NC game.

I'm not a gambler, but I thought the oddsmakers tried to make the spread so that an equal amount of people would take each team. So it has a lot to do with how the public perceives a team's chances to win. Am I off on this?

In theory if the oddsmakers do their job correctly and you have an intelligent betting customer base than the bets should have a tendency to even out. However what makes betting fun is that the public (you and me) think we know more than the oddsmakers which forces the oddsmakers to take stands on each & every game. Rarely if ever does Vegas or the hometown bookie get even action on a game.

The real objective of the professional handicapper is to establish a line that gives them (the oddsmaker) a 50% chance of winning the game no matter what side the public bets on. So when the line comes out Ohio State favored by 7 over Michigan the oddsmakers really don't care what side the public bets on because they are confident they have a 50% chance of winning plus they earn the 10 percent juice which gives them a better than 50% chance of winning. Occassionally if the action gets to heavy on one side you see the line adjust a point here and there to encourage bets on the other side or to make the bet less attractive.

Edited by Rockerbraves

I'm not a gambler, but I thought the oddsmakers tried to make the spread so that an equal amount of people would take each team. So it has a lot to do with how the public perceives a team's chances to win. Am I off on this?

Dead on. If the public bets an equal amount on each side, they earn 5% of the total wagered (the losers pay 10% juice.)

In theory if the oddsmakers do their job correctly and you have an intelligent betting customer base than the bets should have a tendency to even out. However what makes betting fun is that the public (you and me) think we know more than the oddsmakers which forces the oddsmakers to take stands on each & every game. Rarely if ever does Vegas or the hometown bookie get even action on a game.

The real objective of the professional handicapper is to establish a line that gives them (the oddsmaker) a 50% chance of winning the game no matter what side the public bets on. So when the line comes out Ohio State favored by 7 over Michigan the oddsmakers really don't care what side the public bets on because they are confident they have a 50% chance of winning plus they earn the 10 percent juice which gives them a better than 50% chance of winning. Occassionally if the action gets to heavy on one side you see the line adjust a point here and there to encourage bets on the other side or to make the bet less attractive.

I don't agree with this and do think that their goal is to, in fact, inspire even betting on both sides. It's the only way that makes sense. It just so happens that they often come dammed close to nailing the margin of victory as well. In the event that they get heavy action on one side they can either adjust the line or sell some of their bets off to another bookie who's getting too much action on the other side of the bet. The betting public is betting against itself, not the bookies.

I've often though the way to get a leg up on the system was bet against teams that are supported by rabid betting fans who are loyal to the point of stupidity. Those teams will likely be getting bad odds all the time because the bookies know they'll bet anyway. I've just never bothered to figure out who that was.

It's still better than the old system....let's say OSU beats UM and ND beats USC..under the old system OSU would play USC in the Rose Bowl, while the #2 team (either FLA, ARK, RU, or ND) would be stuck playing someone else in a different bowl game. Whether or not we like the way they arrive at #s 1 and 2, at least this way they play each other.

That's like saying dog oh poopy is better than cat oh poopy.

Both suck.

College football doesn't have a national champion ... each year they crown a queen.

I seriously hope all the one loss teams end up with two losses.I know that is a very small possibilitiy but at least that would open the door for Rutgers to get in if they can beat WV which I highly doubt.At that point Mich and OSU would play again and no one could argue.I would like to see a Michigan vs. Rutgers NC game.