[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ladainian Tomlinson - where do you see him post-retirement?

rajncajn

Well one thing is for sure, can we please stop all the "Who got the better end of the LT/Vick trade" now and for all. LT>Vick...end of story

Heck, right now Brees > Vick.

I could see Tomlinson doing something to help poor kids like himself for his post-NFL life; he's not really a media hog, so he probably won't end up as a broadcaster.

Now, as it regards his qualifications for Canton?

If he got hit by a truck tonight, he'd get in. Maybe not a first ballot guy, but he'd get in. Now, if he finishes this year like he started it, and has one (maybe two) solid years (i.e., 1400 yards rushing and 12 TDs), he'll be a first ballot guy. If they win the SB this year and he retires after winning the SB MVP, he'll be a first or second ballot guy.

And, if he plays another 3-5 years at a level similar to what he's been doing the last 4-5 years, he'll be considered by everyone to have been the single most dominating football player ever to lace up cleats.

Growing up in Dallas I got to see a lot of Emmitt Smith... Im also a packers fan so I saw my fair share of Packers Lions games. I honestly think LT2 dominates in a way that Emmitt and Sanders did not. Not only has he put up the numbers, but did it with a lot less than Emmitt, and gets the wins that eluded Sanders. Just my opinion. And I'll also say, he also had the single most dominating game i've ever seen from any back in college when he went for over 400 rushing yards in a game. Insanity.

I still say Walter Payton. I do believe there is a difference between being the best, and just working at it for years and years until you own the records. I'm not saying time is the only reason Emmitt got the record, but Payton didn't get the name Sweetness for nothing. He had the time also.

Sheer ability would have to goto Barry, but I'd still put him right behind Walter and then see where LT ends up before comparing him to Emmitt. My guess is I'd take him over Emmitt when it's all said and done.

If he got hit by a truck tonight, he'd get in. Maybe not a first ballot guy, but he'd get in. Now, if he finishes this year like he started it, and has one (maybe two) solid years (i.e., 1400 yards rushing and 12 TDs), he'll be a first ballot guy. If they win the SB this year and he retires after winning the SB MVP, he'll be a first or second ballot guy.

And, if he plays another 3-5 years at a level similar to what he's been doing the last 4-5 years, he'll be considered by everyone to have been the single most dominating football player ever to lace up cleats.

and you're basing these on what? You think he'd get in right now? That's awfully presumptuous of you. Just being dominating for a few years isn't enough to guarantee you a spot in the HoF. It took Madden 27 years.

By your standards Randy Moss should go right in too. While I believe Randy is (was anyway) on his way a HoF career, I was not willing to say it out loud.

I still think Brady needs to either win another SB, or put up great #'s for about 3-5 more years to get in. I'm not willing to call LT a Hall of Famer just yet.

I still say Walter Payton. I do believe there is a difference between being the best, and just working at it for years and years until you own the records. I'm not saying time is the only reason Emmitt got the record, but Payton didn't get the name Sweetness for nothing. He had the time also.

Sheer ability would have to goto Barry, but I'd still put him right behind Walter and then see where LT ends up before comparing him to Emmitt. My guess is I'd take him over Emmitt when it's all said and done.

I do agree with you there. Based on ability alone I don't think anybody will ever hold a candle to Barry. Payton was much more than just ability though & that's why he's tops in my book as well. In comparing LT to these two I see a lot of them in LT. He has the work ethic, humbleness & love of his peers & fans almost the way Payton did. Not quite to that extent just yet IMO, but some of that did have to do with the almost magical season the Bears had winning the championship too. I agree with the poster above that I don't think LT will get his unfortunately. But, also in comparing him with Barry, he may not have the moves that Barry did but I think his got moves of his own that would put him above nearly every other RB that has played.

and note, I'm not just saying this because of what he did this weekend. I'll be honest, I didn't have a clue who LTII was coming out of TCU. But I drafted him that year on my fantasy squad & have been a big fan ever since. This guy has been special year-in and year-out his entire career.

The problem I have with Barry Sanders was how often he would lose yards on carries... I once read that he has the most runs for loss of yards. He just danced around to much to me. LaDanian has the grace of Peyton, can outrun you, juke you, or flat out run you over... Then on the next series he might catch the ball five or six times. Having LT2 on the field is like having an extra player out there...

in my mind, there's no clear all-time #1, there's a holy trinity of brown, sanders, and payton. tomlinson is well on his way to making it a foursome.

Add Emmitt and make it a fivesome.

Barry Sanders is the only guy I've seen that has moves like LT. Some of the moves he makes would break the ankles of lesser men The guy is just phenomenal - fun to watch and cheer for even though his team resides in the same division as my favorite team.

I hope he stays healthy enough to do everything he wants to accomplish in football. I'm just glad to be here watching. :D

The problem I have with Barry Sanders was how often he would lose yards on carries... I once read that he has the most runs for loss of yards. He just danced around to much to me. LaDanian has the grace of Peyton, can outrun you, juke you, or flat out run you over... Then on the next series he might catch the ball five or six times. Having LT2 on the field is like having an extra player out there...

um..Barry has the second highest ypc career average in history..right behind Brown IIRC...do you have a stat or a link to back this up?