[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

DMD: Suggestion for an article (for the offseason)

Chief Dick

Been seeing a few posts now and again from people wanting to switch their leagues to keeper or dynasty league. It would be interesting if you (or maybe a few of us here) collaborate on an article that can be used as a "set of directions" to start a keeper or dynasty league.

Wouldn't need to be terribly elaborate, but maybe an outline of sorts to get people started. Just a thought.

Been seeing a few posts now and again from people wanting to switch their leagues to keeper or dynasty league. It would be interesting if you (or maybe a few of us here) collaborate on an article that can be used as a "set of directions" to start a keeper or dynasty league.

Wouldn't need to be terribly elaborate, but maybe an outline of sorts to get people started. Just a thought.

Good idea, I actually have found several articles about the subject while searching FF over the past years. I think there are a lot of "how to's" when it comes to setting up and running FF leagues on the web.

I'm all for this.

We're in the third year of our league and I am trying to convince my guys to make the leap to a keeper. I've got some experts and some noobs so it would help to have a solid explanation, the pros and cons of making the switch, differences from a redraft, and the responsibilities of a keeper league manager.

Thanks for bringing this up, Chief.

I'm trying to get a keeper league to switch to auction. Running into some flak from the LT and LJ owners but I think I've got it to 50/50. Just need one swing vote now....(and to be sure, I was lobbying for this back when I was keeping P Holmes every year too).

Back to original intent of post however, if there have been keepers but league is going to full dynasty, I'd think going with a full redraft would be the best way. Anyone else?

Consider it done. But not until after January.

Nice. We just switched to a keeper league this year. We definetly have some wrinkles to iron out. I'm sure this article will come in handy.

Thanks for bringing this up Chief.

I'm trying to get a keeper league to switch to auction. Running into some flak from the LT and LJ owners but I think I've got it to 50/50. Just need one swing vote now....(and to be sure, I was lobbying for this back when I was keeping P Holmes every year too).

Back to original intent of post however, if there have been keepers but league is going to full dynasty, I'd think going with a full redraft would be the best way. Anyone else?

If you switch to a keeper league, I would suggest strongly an auction format with a salary cap. Definitely do a re-draft for sure. Its the best way to get it started.

The fun of our league is that you have to manage a salary cap. Every team gets a $200 cap - $170 of which you can use at auction and then you get the extra $30 to use for free agents. We bid on free agents using our cap dollars. Its a blast.

If you keep a player you must increase his salary $8 the year after. We also use multi-year deals which go $8 then $4 then $2 then $1. If you give a player a 4 year deal you are stuck with his salary for 4 years. Sometimes hilarity ensues (like the guy who gave Barlow a 3 year deal which is just coming off his books after this season - no, he hasnt won anything).

Trades have to fit within the cap too so if you pay $75 for Sean Alexander good luck trying to trade him after he tanked your season. Tough to squeeze that under the cap usually. So its tough trading high priced players for low priced keepers but teams do manage to do it.

Its awesome fun. We are in our 5th season and going very strong. Everyone in the league says its the best and most fun league they have ever played in.

Another article would be to consider how to add owners to (i) a dynasty league, (ii) a keeper league and (iii) a salary cap league.

Something to also consider for keeper leagues are how many 'keeper' players to allow each team. It probably depends on the amount of teams in the keeper league (8, 10, 12, or 16), but it seems like it ranges anywhere from 2 keepers to having the ability to keep your whole roster.

Currently my league allows for up to 6 keepers, which is perfect IMO. But other things to consider for having too many keepers (like keeping a whole roster) is that you might see to often one or two teams continiously dominating every year.

It also probably depends on how many players start each week...

A league w/ QB / RB / WR / WR / PK / DEF in the starting lineup is very different than a league w/ QB / RB / RB / WR / WR / WR / WR / TE / PK / DEF ...

If you switch to a keeper league, I would suggest strongly an auction format with a salary cap. Definitely do a re-draft for sure. Its the best way to get it started.

The fun of our league is that you have to manage a salary cap. Every team gets a $200 cap - $170 of which you can use at auction and then you get the extra $30 to use for free agents. We bid on free agents using our cap dollars. Its a blast.

If you keep a player you must increase his salary $8 the year after. We also use multi-year deals which go $8 then $4 then $2 then $1. If you give a player a 4 year deal you are stuck with his salary for 4 years. Sometimes hilarity ensues (like the guy who gave Barlow a 3 year deal which is just coming off his books after this season - no, he hasnt won anything).

Trades have to fit within the cap too so if you pay $75 for Sean Alexander good luck trying to trade him after he tanked your season. Tough to squeeze that under the cap usually. So its tough trading high priced players for low priced keepers but teams do manage to do it.

Its awesome fun. We are in our 5th season and going very strong. Everyone in the league says its the best and most fun league they have ever played in.

Almost all the reports I hear from switching to auction format are positive-and I like the FA methodology. That's one spot I'll need to polish up before our off-season GM meeting when I make my final stump speech on the topic-thanks. And I'll be watching for the dynasty article too

Edited by Snoil

Awesome. There has been talk in our local about going at least semi-keeper. I hate having to give away my team at the end of the year (usually). Especially this year with the Colston gem on my squad.

I've played in a redraft league for years, and just recently (last year) switched to a keeper league. I gotta say it's a lot more fun and brings a much wider dimension to the game when playing in a keeper league. A lot more to consider than just current year big-time players. I love it.

Love the idea. I tried to convince my "friend league" to switch to an auction style re-draft or a keeper league and while a few were for it there were others that are afraid of change. Some more info on how the process works, pros and cons to it, and an idea of what the general growing pains are for the first year or two would really be insightful.