[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is Favre exploiting the 2-yd td pass to get Marino's record?

Chavez

Somebody asked this question on another board - well, not explicitly, they wanted the average distance of tds for Favre and Marino - and since I had nothing better to do, I thought I'd dig around. It beats watching Gone with the Wind at least. This is what I found:

here are the numbers breakdowns on Favre's average td pass length; I don't have the box scores for his entire career, so I was only able to find 92-97 and 03-06, leaving 98-02 unaccounted for - so I only have 277 of his 409 (68%) of his career td passes covered.

From 92-97 his average td length (182 tds for 3191 yds) was 17.5 yds

From 03-06 (95-1748) it was HIGHER than earlier in his career at 18.4.

This season he has 13-304, which is over 23 yds/td.

Average for all 277 I was able to account for was 17.8

Now I have no idea what that means, as for all intents and purposes these #s exist in a vacuum. Just to throw some #s in for comparison, Manning's average td pass lenght in '04 was 16.04 (49-786), so I'd hazard that either Manning and Marino were both probably guilty of the "2 yd slant pass to get their numbers" or the mid-teens is a fairly respectable yds/td length.

Just thought I'd put it out there for you all to see. What this means, I have no idea.

Only way you can truly know this is if you watch every Brett Favre TD pass and see how many 2 yard TD passes there is. I mean if he throws a 70 yard TD pass and then a 2 yard TD pass The average for 2 TD passes are 36 yards each. I mean, averages can't answer a question like that.

Edited by CD6405

Only way you can truly know this is if you watch every Brett Favre TD pass and see how many 2 yard TD passes there is. I mean if he throws a 70 yard TD pass and then a 2 yard TD pass The average for 2 TD passes are 36 yards each. I mean, averages can't answer a question like that.

Well, I'm not about to cypher out his median td pass. Averages will have to do.

Edited by Chavez

+1. Without the mean, this thread is useless.

A TD is a TD is a TD. It doesn't matter if it was for 1 inch or 100 yards. Sure the long bomb is more impressive then the quick slant. But I bet you neither Marino nor Favre (nor Manning since you mentioned him as well) are "exploiting" anything to reach a record. They play the game and do what they do (or did) because they love the game and what they do. The records come second.

The average IS the mean. Hence you have agreed this thread is useful.

I think that Hugh 1 meant to say "standard deviation" instead of "mean". With the standard deviation, you get an idea how tightly grouped Favre's passes would be. If you could say that his mean pass length decreased over time, and that the standard deviation is quite small, that would mean that indeed most of his passes have gotten shorter. On the other hand, if you have a pretty large standard deviation around the mean pass length, you're argue doesn't hold water.

I think that Hugh 1 meant to say "standard deviation" instead of "mean". With the standard deviation, you get an idea how tightly grouped Favre's passes would be. If you could say that his mean pass length decreased over time, and that the standard deviation is quite small, that would mean that indeed most of his passes have gotten shorter. On the other hand, if you have a pretty large standard deviation around the mean pass length, you're argue doesn't hold water.

Hugh is drunk, he doesn't know what the f he meant to say.

• 2 weeks later...