[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Shanny press conference

theeohiostate

"I am disappointed with myself for playing Tatum (Bell) so much as I did. Even though he says he’s healthy, I don’t think he is as healthy as he says he is. I saw that in a game. So as a coach you have to go on your gut and you can’t just go on who’s the starter, who’s been the starter. You have to go based on how a guy practices and for what you think is best for the football team."

On what he can do with RB Tatum Bell to get him healthy

“I really don’t know. We are just going to have to wait and see. Sometimes it is rest, sometimes its treatment, sometimes a combination of both. We will evaluate it as time goes on.”

On if he thinks that rookie RB Mike Bell took a step backward in the Pittsburgh game

“I have got a lot of confidence in Mike Bell, but Mike Bell had a couple runs that he might have been able to get more yardage on in the Pittsburgh game but I say that about every running back every game. So I have a lot of confidence in Mike, he is a young player and he will play a lot for us before the season is over.”

On if RB Tatum Bell is still the starter at tailback

“Yes.”

I'm sorry, but i have no idea what the hell this idiot is talking about. Is he benching Tatum until he's 100% healthy, is he appologizing for playing him and not Bell. Is he admitting Mike should have played, i really have no idea.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry, but i have no idea what the hell this idiot is talking about. Is he benching Tatum until he's 100% healthy, is he appologizing for playing him and not Bell. Is he admitting Mike should have played, i really have no idea.

It's called "coachspeak" - don't worry, coaches don't understand it any better than you do.

“I have got a lot of confidence in Mike Bell, but Mike Bell had a couple runs that he might have been able to get more yardage on in the Pittsburgh game but I say that about every running back every game. So I have a lot of confidence in Mike, he is a young player and he will play a lot for us before the season is over.”

On if RB Tatum Bell is still the starter at tailback

“Yes.”

So, to inspire Mike and boost his confidence, I benched his ass?

The best way to deal with Shanny is not to draft any of his RBs, simple.

spoken like a genius. I stayed away from DEN RBs since I started playing FF..however, I did grab Tatum off the WW around week 5, and then dropped him for M Bell off the WW (we have impatient basturds in our league) for the last 2 weeks, and :D started Mike this week. That one hurt.

"I am disappointed with myself

You too, huh, Shanny? How about benching your own sorry rearend for underperforming as a HC & leaving a ton of points on the field in all but 2 games?

It's hard to believe that DEN fans could be upset with a 7-2 team, but this team being is lead by an incompetent Plummer & and ineffective Tatum Bell, who both get complete passes from Shanahan despite being mediocre at their best & putrid at their worst while the rest of the offense gets to be whipping dogs to the point of being inactivated. Thank God for the defense, which Shanahan doesn't have much to do with. Think what DEN could be with a competent QB & RB.

We're pissing a potential championship team down the urinal, and it starts right at the top. Shanahan is getting downright irrational with his farcical excuses in his press conferences. To leave Mike Bell inactive while pulling up Damien Nash from the practice squad to play against OAK is a perfect example. Shanahan is quoted in the Rocky Mountain News as saying, "As a coach, you have to go on your gut, you can't go on who's a starter, who's been a starter.You have to go on how a guy practices and what you think is best for your football team."

So benching Mike Bell & playing Nash was what was best for the football team? What a crock. You almost lost a divisonal game to one of the weakest teams in the NFL pal - your D saved your team from your stupid coaching decisions once again, including coming out throwing against the second worst run D in the NFL. When does that accounatbility get to you, Shanny? And how do you expect a guy to practice hard every day when Sunday comes & he sits on the sideline & watches your pet fail on play after play in the game, and then you make weak excuses after the game about "leaving yards on the field"? If you're a man of your word, then you'll bench Tatum Bell this week, because he left a hell of a lot more yards on the field vs OAK than Mike Bell did vs PIT.

This is getting to be a joke this season. These next 4 weeks ought to be very interesting. DEN gets SD twice & also plays at KC Thanksgiving night. If Plummer & T Bell play like they have all season, there's a good chance DEN will go 1-3 during that stretch & become just another team on the outer fringes of the playoffs, catching a road playoff game and most likely another early exit, upon which Shanahan will throw some more players under the bus to cover his ass, just like he has done every year since '99.

Edited by Bronco Billy

The guy has to say something when the mic is in front of him. The problem, other than Tatum Bell not being very effective was that Plummer didn't get the ball to Walker enough against OAK. 2 catches????? We have seen what he can do when he gets the ball. Plummer underthrew Javon a few times in the game. But to target him only 8 times in the entire game is stupid IMO.

Plummer's first INT ended up with 7 pts for OAK. In the 3rd quarter they were in a position to kick a FG (granted it would have been close to a 50-yarder) ... but they got a penalty and then a sack which kept them out of FG range. Then in the 4th quarter Plummer fumbles at the OAK 4 which fortunately was recovered by DEN. I think the lack of offense in this game certainly was more Plummers fault with his 3 INT's and inability to get the ball to Javon, than Tatum's lousy rushing day .. though that certainly contributed.

Edited by junebugz

The guy has to say something when the mic is in front of him. The problem, other than Tatum Bell not being very effective was that Plummer didn't get the ball to Walker enough against OAK. 2 catches????? We have seen what he can do when he gets the ball. Plummer underthrew Javon a few times in the game. But to target him only 8 times in the entire game is stupid IMO.

Plummer's first INT ended up with 7 pts for OAK. In the 3rd quarter they were in a position to kick a FG (granted it would have been close to a 50-yarder) ... but they got a penalty and then a sack which kept them out of FG range. Then in the 4th quarter Plummer fumbles at the OAK 4 which fortunately was recovered by DEN. I think the lack of offense in this game certainly was more Plummers fault with his 3 INT's and inability to get the ball to Javon, than Tatum's lousy rushing day .. though that certainly contributed.

Okay, riddle me this: If Tatum Bell was being touted as the leading rusher in the AFC before he got hurt, then when DEN is playing the 2nd worst run D in the NFL, why is Shanahan throwing the football except when necessary? One would have to be a moran to have one of the best running teams in the NFL playing on the road against the second worst run D and then come out throwing with a QB as wildly erratic as Plummer.

BTW - the fumble at the 4 yd line in the 4th quarter was by Damien Nash. Plummer put the ball right in his belly between his arms - Nash failed to secure the football.

M Bell HAS to be in Shannys doghouse for some reason. I liked him in pre-season and the first few games during the season. But then he was told he will not start (and not even get carries) and now he was inactive for a no name from DTS. It just doesn't add up. It's one thing to talk up a storm to mess with the other teams preparation but he really in fact made M Bell inactive.

I just don't get it. I am beginning to hate Denver.

Okay, riddle me this: If Tatum Bell was being touted as the leading rusher in the AFC before he got hurt, then when DEN is playing the 2nd worst run D in the NFL, why is Shanahan throwing the football except when necessary? One would have to be a moran to have one of the best running teams in the NFL playing on the road against the second worst run D and then come out throwing with a QB as wildly erratic as Plummer.

BTW - the fumble at the 4 yd line in the 4th quarter was by Damien Nash. Plummer put the ball right in his belly between his arms - Nash failed to secure the football.

Because the running game wasn't working???? So if the running game is headed nowhere all game long you continue to run because the other teams run D "sucks"?? I thought only the Browns did that.

I didn't see the play, but nfl.com attributes the fumble to Plummer ... even in the play by play log :D

edit to add: also i wasn't saying game plan to throw to Walker all day long ... but to get him the ball 20% of the time you throw to him is rediculous

Edited by junebugz

Because the running game wasn't working???? So if the running game is headed nowhere all game long you continue to run because the other teams run D "sucks"?? I thought only the Browns did that.

I didn't see the play, but nfl.com attributes the fumble to Plummer ... even in the play by play log :D

I think an exchange always goes to the QB so technically yea Plummer got the fumble. But if you saw the game it was clearly the rook

Shanahan is clearly outsmarting himself. As a disgruntled Mike Bell owner who now could apparently play or not play at any given time truly wish the worst on the Broncos. Shanny has two SB rings but has gone too far this time with his judgement clearly being questioned. His two most important positions on offense, Plummer & T. Bell will eventually cost the Broncos at some point this year. Hopefully in Denver's first playoff game! :D

I am simply amazed that people would try to say Shanny is a bad coach. simply amazed.

We play fantasy football..he coaches real football.

:D If the Broncos had a different coach they very well could have lost several of these close games this year. If they had a more effective QB (which wouldn't be all that hard to get IMO) they would be much more potent on offense IMO.

Because the running game wasn't working???? So if the running game is headed nowhere all game long you continue to run because the other teams run D "sucks"??

Yes, if you are DEN & the bread and butter of your offense is the running game, then you keep running against a run D like OAK's. And if T Bell can't get it done because a stiff breeze is knocking him over, then you put in another RB. Unfortunately, the only other RB available was Damien Nash - because Shanahan was dead set on sending some kind of message to M Bell & the team. Shanahan cut off his nose to spite his face, and he almost cost the team a W for it.

This isn't just about Mike Bell - I've said before that if there is a better RB on the team, then play him. I have no problem with that. But to have to reach for either Cedric Cobbs or Damien Nash because he's ruined the confidence of a rookie who has the look of a very solid runner before Shanny started giving him a mind fluck while pushing his less effective pet RB T Bell into the lineup - a rookie who has been nothing but humble and very hard working from what the public has seen & by all accounts from his team mates - to the point where he ends up a healthy inactive, then this is on Shanahan. Cobbs & Nash are both practice squad guys who have shown absolutely nothing against even secnd stringers, much less starters in the NFL.

But to answer your question again, yes, if you are DEN, you keep running the ball at OAK. That goes double when Plummer starts throwing wounded ducks out to his WRs right from the start of the game.

I am simply amazed that people would try to say Shanny is a bad coach. simply amazed.

We play fantasy football..he coaches real football.

To excuse Shanahan simply because the team is 7-2 is amazing also - if you've been watching DEN play. Make no mistake, the D is the only thing between DEN being a .500 team or worse. The offense is simply piss poor by Shanahan standards - and the facts plainly back that up. Luckily, Shanahan has little to do with the D.

Said Shanahan: "When you have competition at certain positions you do not know where it is going to occur, but chances are it will occur. Sure, you would love to have one guy, but that doesn't mean that that is the best thing for your football team. If you do what the best thing for your football team is, then I think that we have got a number of running backs who are very capable and very talented, and that may change week by week."

Oh yeah - sounds like Shanahan has a clue which back is his best choice.

Link to article

Yes, if you are DEN & the bread and butter of your offense is the running game, then you keep running against a run D like OAK's. And if T Bell can't get it done because a stiff breeze is knocking him over, then you put in another RB. Unfortunately, the only other RB available was Damien Nash - because Shanahan was dead set on sending some kind of message to M Bell & the team. Shanahan cut off his nose to spite his face, and he almost cost the team a W for it.

This isn't just about Mike Bell - I've said before that if there is a better RB on the team, then play him. I have no problem with that. But to have to reach for either Cedric Cobbs or Damien Nash because he's ruined the confidence of a rookie who has the look of a very solid runner before Shanny started giving him a mind fluck while pushing his less effective pet RB T Bell into the lineup - a rookie who has been nothing but humble and very hard working from what the public has seen & by all accounts from his team mates - to the point where he ends up a healthy inactive, then this is on Shanahan. Cobbs & Nash are both practice squad guys who have shown absolutely nothing against even secnd stringers, much less starters in the NFL.

But to answer your question again, yes, if you are DEN, you keep running the ball at OAK. That goes double when Plummer starts throwing wounded ducks out to his WRs right from the start of the game.

So at what point do you starting looking at the QB then too? If all DEN needs is a game managing QB because of their running game, then they should be able to find a better one than Plummer.

To point all the blame for Sunday on Shanahan is rediculous IMO. Would Mike Bell have helped? Sure, most likely a lot. But it wouldn't have taken away Plummer's idiocy. If DEN had an effective QB it would make the running game easier no matter who was running the ball.