[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Shanny press conference

theeohiostate

It's hard to believe that DEN fans could be upset with a 7-2 team, but this team being is lead by an incompetent Plummer & and ineffective Tatum Bell, who both get complete passes from Shanahan despite being mediocre at their best & putrid at their worst while the rest of the offense gets to be whipping dogs to the point of being inactivated. Thank God for the defense, which Shanahan doesn't have much to do with. Think what DEN could be with a competent QB & RB.

I don't get to see the number of Broncos games you do, but I for one give Plummer a little bit of a pass. The Denver O is not functioning well WRT the running game and the play calling.

Sure, it would be nice to have a QB that could step up and dominate, but few teams do. When the Broncos threaten the middle of the field with a running game, Plummer is effective. And it's purely Shanny's fault that they don't.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After watching the Pitt. game again on tape, there were absolutely certain runs in the game that M. Bell made poor decisions on his rushing lanes. However, they were few and far between. I saw 3 mistakes total. Now I'm no NFL football coach, so maybe there were others, but all I saw were 3. I mentioned this in a previous post about him missing lanes.

Then, I got to the 4th quarter and saw a completely different M. Bell. Instead of no gain, or 1 yrd runs, he started to find the hole and hit it hard. He was really getting it in the 4th quarter and looked like he was starting to understand how to be a starting running back in Denver's system.

This is complete crap was Shanny pulled. There is no way T. Bell is healthy. I don't care what T. says, there is just no way. Much better players have been hobbled for months with a single turf toe injury and T. has 2! Watch Shanny start M. Bell this week against another tough defense and watch M. Bell rush for like 65 yards only to have T. start the following.

Shanny, I've defended you for the past couple of years here and I'm done. You've written your own ticket and it's garbage.

It just seems to me that Shanahan wants Tatum to be the man regardless what Mike Bell does. To nit pick the Steelers game is rediculous. I mean how spiteful and stubborn do you have to be to start a hobbled Tatum and make Mike inactive at the cost of almost giving your team a loss?

For those thinking last weeks sluggish game against the Raiders was on the players and not the coaches is mostly true. But if you stubbornly play an injured player to prove a point, deplete your running back depth and rely on a struggling QB to win the game for you, Shanny's coaching skills should be called into question with deserved criticism.

It just seems to me that Shanahan wants Tatum to be the man regardless what Mike Bell does. To nit pick the Steelers game is rediculous. I mean how spiteful and stubborn do you have to be to start a hobbled Tatum and make Mike inactive at the cost of almost giving your team a loss?

For those thinking last weeks sluggish game against the Raiders was on the players and not the coaches is mostly true. But if you stubbornly play an injured player to prove a point, deplete your running back depth and rely on a struggling QB to win the game for you, Shanny's coaching skills should be called into question with deserved criticism.

Absolutely! :D:D

So at what point do you starting looking at the QB then too? If all DEN needs is a game managing QB because of their running game, then they should be able to find a better one than Plummer.

To point all the blame for Sunday on Shanahan is rediculous IMO. Would Mike Bell have helped? Sure, most likely a lot. But it wouldn't have taken away Plummer's idiocy. If DEN had an effective QB it would make the running game easier no matter who was running the ball.

If you're trying to get me to make an argument on Plummer's behalf, you won't get me to do it.

Plummer is having a very roller coaster year and isn't nearly as effective as he ought to be. Part of that goes directly to his play, and part of that goes to game planning that doesn't allow for Plummer to go to his strength, which is rolling out & throwing rather than throwing from the pocket. We've been through this before - when T Bell is the RB, teams don't respect the inside run & attack the backfield from the outside-in. When M Bdll is in the backfield, teams have to respect the inside run more & Plummer can roll outside the pocket. That's exactly what we saw in the IND game & the PIT game, which was why Plummer was so much more effective throwing in those games, even the PIT game where M Bell didn't amass great rushing numbers.

Look at the numbers - when T Bell is the featured RB, DEN hasn't scored more than 17 points this year. When M Bell has been the lead dog at RB, DEN scored 31 points in each game. Plummer's two highest QB ratings came in the IND & PIT games - when M Bell was the featured RB. In the IND & PIT games, Plummer has completed 60.4% of his passes for 4 TDs and 0 INTs and 201 paypg, with 1 sack per game. In the other 7 games, Plummer has completed 54% of his passes with 6 TDs and 10 INTs and 170 paypg, with over 1.5 sacks per game. How could anyone not see the difference between the two offenses when T Bell is featured & when M Bell is featured. And lest we get into the argument about weak pass Ds, IND is the #2 pass D in the NFL and PIT is a respectable #16.

In Shanahan's offense since becoming a HC in DEN in 1995, only once has the team been out of the top 10 in scoring O, in 1999 at #18. This year? The O is #23 in scoring. In Shanahan's tenure in DEN the O has only been out of the top 10 Os twice in total yds - in 1999 at #13 and in 2001 at #22. This year? They're #20. The offense is setting record lows by far for a Shanahan offense in DEN since he became HC. The continuity in the offense is readily & noticeably different with each different RB in the game.

The differences are staggering - and obvious. Even Plummer & the passing game is noticeably affected when T Bell is in the game as opposed to M Bell. If a poor dumb schlub like me can see it so easily, why can't a Mastermind like Shanahan?

Edited by Bronco Billy

To excuse Shanahan simply because the team is 7-2 is amazing also - if you've been watching DEN play. Make no mistake, the D is the only thing between DEN being a .500 team or worse. The offense is simply piss poor by Shanahan standards - and the facts plainly back that up. Luckily, Shanahan has little to do with the D.

The facts are the team is 7-2 , Shanny has a career record of 129-76, and he has 2 SB rings.

Those are the facts.

If a poor dumb schlub like me can see it so easily, why can't a Mastermind like Shanahan?

i agree with everything but i'm starting to think that perhaps their ranking in rushing O is what is making Shanahan continue to toy and tinker regardless of the overall performance of the O.

he kept referring to how that what they've done has allowed them to remain in the top 5 in rushing. sounds like that is more important to him than the overall performance of the O.

this is asinine b/c you can end up like ATL or JAX.

The facts are the team is 7-2 , Shanny has a career record of 129-76, and he has 2 SB rings.

Those are the facts.

The past doesn't always reflect the present. Those were great teams led by Elway, T. Davis and a R. Smith in his prime. Regardless of Shanny's past resume, he's making some very questionable judgement calls he is very lucky the Defense has saved him on.

See above.

It ain't 1998 anymore.

Nope but Shanny still has his Broncos winning games..not much changed there huh?

The past doesn't always reflect the present. Those were great teams led by Elway, T. Davis and a R. Smith in his prime. Regardless of Shanny's past resume, he's making some very questionable judgement calls he is very lucky the Defense has saved him on.

If you want the present look at their 7-2 record. that is the present. I mean it is not like this is not the normal for him. he has had only 1 losing season for the Broncos. say what you want about what the offense has done so far..but the Broncos are doing what Shanny teams usually do..winning.

The dude is a MORAN....nuff said

Yeah, this "moran" has only won two Super Bowls and taken the Broncos to the playoffs in 7 of his 11 seasons as HC. That trumps every active HC not named Belichick or Parcells. I'll take Shanahan over Dungy any day.

Edited by Bill Swerski

Yeah, this "moran" has only won two Super Bowls and taken the Broncos to the playoffs in 7 of his 11 seasons as HC. That trumps every active HC not named Blichick or Parcells. I'll take Shanahan over Dungy any day.

Joe Gibbs down? He's got 3 SB wins & has been to the playoffs 9 times, and is 143-82 as the HC of WAS. Maybe you'll make the argument that he's the best coach in the NFL right now...

Edited by Bronco Billy

Joe Gibbs down? He's got 3 SB wins & has been to the playoffs 9 times, and is 143-82 as the HC of WAS. Maybe you'll make the argument that he's the best coach in the NFL right now...

:D

Forgot about Gibbs. Then again, the game has obviously passed him by. Parcells is also a shell of his former self.

Right now, Belichick is probably the only coach I'd rank above Shanahan. I'd stick Shanahan in the same tier as Holmgren and Cowher... and he's more accomplished than both.

I'm not calling for Shanahan to be inducted into Canton or anything, but the what-have-you-done-for-me-lately crowd needs to realize that the grass is not greener on the other side.

Edited by Bill Swerski

Forgot about Gibbs. Then again, the game has obviously passed him by. Parcells is also a shell of his former self.

Right now, Belichick is probably the only coach I'd rank above Shanahan. I'd stick Shanahan in the same tier as Holmgren and Cowher... and he's more accomplished than both.

I'm not calling for Shanahan to be inducted into Canton or anything, but the what-have-you-done-for-me-lately crowd needs to realize that the grass is not greener on the other side.

You do know that since there hasn't been Elway & TD in the same backfield that Shanahan has only made the playoffs 4 years, right? You also know that his record in the playoffs in those 4 years is 1-4, right? You also know that in the 4 losses, the average margin has been 23 pts, right?

Does that affect your opinion at all?

A lot of coaches could have built some notoriety with Elway & TD in the backfield & the O-line that DEN had in the SB years.

Edited by Bronco Billy

It's blather, like when a politician drones on about vague crap like 'reaching out' to get face time with a mic in front of them. Fact is, he may well be getting to the point where he thinks in terms of 'hey, if I pull some nobody off my practice squad and he does great against this crappy team we are playing this week, I'll get more genius kudos!' He didn't put his best players out there, unless there's something going on we don't know about with M Bell. That's a bad coaching move, regardless of the win this week. I know his career record and his two pieces of jewelry mean he has had a good career, and the Broncos D has the team 7-2. But unless something else comes to light, I think his ego (gut, whatever) got in the way of putting the Broncos in the best situation they could be in this week. That's bad coaching in my book.

Edited by Snoil

You do know that since there hasn't been Elway & TD in the same backfield that Shanahan has only made the playoffs 4 years, right? You also know that his record in the playoffs in those 4 years is 1-4, right? You also know that in the 4 losses, the average margin has been 23 pts, right?

Does that affect your opinion at all?

A lot of coaches could have built some notoriety with Elway & TD in the backfield & the O-line that DEN had in the SB years.

You do know that Reeves lost the Super Bowl FOUR TIMES with Elway, right? You do know that Shanahan hired Alex Gibbs, the architect of the outstanding O-line that won them two SBs, right? You do know that Shanahan has had only ONE losing season in 11 years in Denver, right?

The bottom line is that Shanahan won two rings (something that the vast majority of NFL coaches - including HOFer Dan Reeves - haven't even gotten close to) and that even his post-Elway/post-TD teams are competitive every year.

If you hate Shanahan so much, tell me who you'd rather have as Denver's HC? Outside of Belichick (and maybe Cowher or Holmgren), I can't think of a better option.

100% correct.

You do know that since there hasn't been Elway & TD in the same backfield that Shanahan has only made the playoffs 4 years, right?

4 years....out of 7. this year will make 5 out of 8...with the likes of brian griese, jake plummer, mike anderson, tatum bell, etc. leading the way. the guy is clearly a top-notch coach, by any measure. but like anyone, he makes a few boners and his use of the RB rotation this year definitely falls in that category.

4 years....out of 7. this year will make 5 out of 8...with the likes of brian griese, jake plummer, mike anderson, tatum bell, etc. leading the way. the guy is clearly a top-notch coach, by any measure. but like anyone, he makes a few boners and his use of the RB rotation this year definitely falls in that category.

You do know that Reeves lost the Super Bowl FOUR TIMES with Elway, right? You do know that Shanahan hired Alex Gibbs, the architect of the outstanding O-line that won them two SBs, right? You do know that Shanahan has had only ONE losing season in 11 years in Denver, right?

The bottom line is that Shanahan won two rings (something that the vast majority of NFL coaches - including HOFer Dan Reeves - haven't even gotten close to) and that even his post-Elway/post-TD teams are competitive every year.

If you hate Shanahan so much, tell me who you'd rather have as Denver's HC? Outside of Belichick (and maybe Cowher or Holmgren), I can't think of a better option.

Why is the discussion suddenly about Reeves? What does that have to do with Shanahan? That's a great diversion but has nothing to do with the discussion on Shanahan we're having here right now.

As far as HCs right now who I'd take over Shanahan besides the ones that you've mentioned, I'd take John Fox, Jeff Fischer, and probably John Gruden. Give those guys the players that Shanahan has right now & over the years since 1999, and they'd come up with more than 1 playoff W and getting wiped clean off the field, not even being slightly competitive, in the other 4 games. What good is getting to the dance if you forget to even get dressed to go once you've made it?

They've had equally or less talented teams and done better in the playoffs since 1999. They probably wouldn't have put all their eggs in Jake f'n Plummer's basket. Shanahan gets away with that because Pat Bowlen loves his sorry rearend.

But again, that's a diversion also. That has nothing to do with the fact that Shanahan is undercoaching this team dramatically & appears to be headed off the deep end in the way he's handling his RBs.

Edited by Bronco Billy

100% correct.

If you want to talk about players he has drafted and brought in as FAs, I'll gladly have that discussion. Those players you mentioned above weren't thrust upon him by anyone - those are the guys he chose to play for him.

Edited by Bronco Billy