[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Death of the Washington Redskins

spain

RIP Deadskins! :D

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/s...-16-gibbs_x.htm

Gibbs era in D.C. filled with lots of empty promises and wasted dollars

Posted 11/16/2006 10:57 PM ET E-mail | Save | Print | Subscribe to stories like this

The Washington Redskins are the biggest tease in the NFL. I know this because I live in the D.C. metro area. I bumped into my mechanic, Tommy, last Monday morning and thought he was going to blow a gasket after the Redskins' rusted-out offense again broke down.

For too many seasons, I have watched the titillation of Redskins' fans, the procurement of their funds, and the absolute failure to create anything tangible lasting beyond temporary exhilaration. In short, lots of hot-air promises, but no ring.

This week, Joe Gibbs revealed the depths of his desperation. With tacit acknowledgment that his deep passing attack is almost dead, right along with the Redskins' playoff hopes, the coach will start newbie quarterback Jason Campbell on Sunday at Tampa Bay. (Fresh legs and live arm, plus Ladell Betts, adds up to our upset special).

Gibbs swapped Mark Brunell for a No. 3 quarterback deactivated for all 27 games of his brief 1½-season career. Brunell, like Gibbs, is taking the heat like a man, even though they both know highly compensated Redskin players are flying under the radar of public scrutiny. The offensive line is underperforming. The defense, which creates turnovers about as often as we see Halley's Comet, is underwhelming. The coach needs a new sparkplug for his jalopy.

The latest switch at quarterback is emblematic of the franchise's decline as a league power. Washington has won the NFC East once since 1992.

The Redskins' record is symptomatic of what's wrong with ownership and the head coach. If Gibbs looks unsteady on the sidelines these days (and he does), it is because he is drunk on Snyder's quick-fix Kool-Aid — free agency.

Their salary cap bulges; the draft cupboard is all but bare. They overpaid safety Adam Archuleta and receiver Antwaan Randle El. They guessed wrong on receiver Brandon Lloyd, defensive end Andre Carter. But, hey, Vinny Cerrato, vice president of football operations, makes a nice racquetball partner for the owner.

Gibbs' specialty had been offense. Why did he turn over the keys to Al Saunders? Because he knew he needed help — which is what he needs upstairs. It's easy to understand why he took the free agent route with Snyder's profligate habits. Gibbs, who came back rested but now looks as if he swallowed paint-thinner, isn't in this for the long haul. He is looking for proven commodities rather than trying to guess right with the college draft. Gibbs, who turns 66 next week, doesn't want to win today — he wants to win yesterday.

Danny the fan and Danny the businessman got what he wanted: a walk down memory lane and increased cash flow from a sold-out stadium based on the if-come. Fans thought they got what they wanted: the glory years again. Thus far, their bronze-dipped Hall of Fame coach is a flop, leaving perpetually tantalized supporters almost as disgusted and frustrated as he.

"If anyone should take the heat for us being 3-6, it is me," Gibbs said, adding, "That is why I feel bad."

He shouldn't. The odds have been against him since he returned three years ago after an 11-season layoff. Too much has changed since his Redskin teams won three Super Bowls. There is real free agency, the salary cap and player attitudes softened by up-front money.

"He's probably wondering, 'Why did I do this? I should be with my grandbabies and watching NASCAR,' " said Joe Jacoby, who played for Gibbs.

Gibbs' management has been skewered by some former Redskins. Many of them area sports-talk radio barkers. This week, they had plenty to say on-air:

John Riggins: "This is not a good football team. They have the ability to turn into a bad football team."

Brian Mitchell: "The coach should start answering questions. The atmosphere (is) a country club; guys think they are rock stars."

Doc Walker: "Joe gets a get-out-of-jail-free card. (Adding '05), he has 20 weeks of inept production on offense. Call it the way it is: Take the blinders off. The evaluators must be evaluated."

Gibbs, who once worked 100-hour weeks, said upon his return that he was going to need a lot of help. Wow, was he right. Dan Snyder, for all his meddlesome ways, has given Gibbs all the tools any coach could possibly ask for — team presidency, de facto GM powers, an open checkbook and the highest-paid staff of assistants in history.

The meticulous coach with the nervous giggle has produced 19 victories in 41 regular-season games. For $5-million-plus a year, the president of this Washington institution is quite fortunate that it is he who is not up for re-election.

Danny boy will NEVER win a Super Bowl as long as he is at least 1% involved with any decisions. Face it, this team never had a chance to be better than 8-8. Of course, the Redskins will do their usual 3 game win streak at the end to pull to 7-9

Gibbs as coach makes no sense to me.Yeah I know he has accomplished many great things in Washington but he sometimes looks downright confused on the sidelines.I do not think he decides anything for the organization.I believe he can coach but no longer wants to put in the time like he used to.IMO he will step down after this season.

Still waiting for the board's resident Skins fan to chime in...

Was is it that you want to be said? That the 'Skins suck? That maybe Gibbs should have stepped down after last year? That Snyder doesn't understand the value of a well spent dollar versus throwing money at everything and seeing if it sticks?

Sure the 'Skins have not lived up to expectations this year. However, those that have a small touch with reality already knew that things were not going to be smooth. Not possible with someone like Brunell at the helm. Guy was washed up several years ago.

I never expected them to win the division this year. I had hopes that they would make the WC though. But then those hopes were dashed when Portis got hurt before the season even started. And then the D started to under-perform.

Yeah... maybe the game has passed Joe by... but with the talented coaches he brought in I expected at least some semblance of cohesion on both sides of the ball. (And don't forget... he DID get the team to the PO's last year). Unfortunately both sides appear to be in disarray with little direction.

Don't count their ability to be a spoiler this year and don't count them out for the 'rest of the decade'. Even in disarray they are better than a whole bunch of other teams out there.

Gibbs / Saunders stuck with Brunell far, far, farrrrr too long.

Suanders 700 page offensive play book might be taking longer to digest than 1st thought.

The D? Major question mark in my mind.

The D's performance this year, has certainly hurt Gregg Williams chances at another Head Coaching opportunity anytime soon.

Still waiting for the board's resident Skins fan to chime in...

Hi.

Redskins certainly have problems this year, from serious injury problems to a horrible defensive breakdown. But a new QB era has begun which can only be a good thing in the long run.

And as for Gibbs, we were 5-1 in our division last year and went to the second round of the playoffs with Brunell as QB and one WR. Thats pretty good in my book. And last 2 years against Dallas: 3-1.

So are we hurting this year? Yes. Badly. But it will get better and I like the personnel and the coaches. I have not been very impressed with the playcalling of Saunders, but expect that will get better.

The D? Major question mark in my mind.

The D's performance this year, has certainly hurt Gregg Williams chances at another Head Coaching opportunity anytime soon.

That's for sure. Saunders is new and has a complicated system, but Williams and most of the players have been there. They will get better.

Put McIntosh in. What the hell.