[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

games on the nfl network

alwaysrocking

um, no it doesn't. 1080i is 1080i bud. If a service looks better than another, i'd check the TVs.

There's also compression and compression artifacts. That's related to the amound of bandwidth dedicated to each channel. All channels are compressed to some degree or another. The more channels that are tried to cram down the "pipe", the more compressed or pixelated the channel looks. That's why the high def PPV channels aren't on the air during the Sunday Ticket games (other channels are also taken off the air as well). Usually over-the-air channels will have the least compressed signal (unless they are running sub-channels). Some cable systems compress their channels more than satellite, some do it less by offering more band width to the channels. YMMV. Standard def channels have the same issues.

I'd guess that the NFL Network games will be in HD on DirecTV somewhere in the 90s. If not, they're going to have a lot of calls.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's also compression and compression artifacts. That's related to the amound of bandwidth dedicated to each channel. All channels are compressed to some degree or another. The more channels that are tried to cram down the "pipe", the more compressed or pixelated the channel looks. That's why the high def PPV channels aren't on the air during the Sunday Ticket games (other channels are also taken off the air as well). Usually over-the-air channels will have the least compressed signal (unless they are running sub-channels). Some cable systems compress their channels more than satellite, some do it less by offering more band width to the channels. YMMV. Standard def channels have the same issues.

I'd guess that the NFL Network games will be in HD on DirecTV somewhere in the 90s. If not, they're going to have a lot of calls.

I have cable HD and it's as good as satellite HD, especially CBS and NBC which both use 1080i. Fox uses 720p in my area and it's not as good as the other two, IMO.

NFL Network on DirecTV. I still find it odd that the NFL would move some of it's games to the NFL network.

I wouldn't think that the NFL Network is in that many homes....

i read a story on this recently. you're right -- the nfl network isn't carried on most cable systems, so the league figured that by putting games on the network, enough people would start bugging their carriers to pick it up. the story pointed out how cbs, fox and nbc would market their entire fall seasons around football, making football one of the most valuable entertainment properties out there. so the nfl decided to use that to build its own network. we'll see if it works.

Thanks for the HD info on the NFL Network games. I was going to give them a call to find out.

I know that here in Charlotte, Time Warner doesn't have the Network and their HD programming sucks to boot. They have about half the HD programming of Directv. It doesn't really matter because I would never consider going cable because of the Sunday Ticket.

Yeah, they should be on channel 93 if you have the HD package--the information is available on the DirecTV site.

edit: Only the games, though...nfl replay and such is not in HD so far as I can tell.

Directv said they launched 2 new satellites and plan to launch 2 more so they can offer more HC programming.

I have cable HD and it's as good as satellite HD, especially CBS and NBC which both use 1080i. Fox uses 720p in my area and it's not as good as the other two, IMO.

I was a longtime Comcast customer until we moved out to the sticks in August. Last week the local Fox channel on DirecTV was knocked off the air for some reason outside of DirecTV's control, but the Comcast people had it. Of course, it was a double-header week for Fox and DirecTV still blacked out the games (including the Dallas-Arizona game) so I missed that. Also, I can't get the local HD channels without some ghetto 1960' era antenna...unlike Comcast which just piped it in nicely.

I wonder what Comcast would think if I ran a 10-20 mile cable out to the house? :D

I was a longtime Comcast customer until we moved out to the sticks in August. Last week the local Fox channel on DirecTV was knocked off the air for some reason outside of DirecTV's control, but the Comcast people had it. Of course, it was a double-header week for Fox and DirecTV still blacked out the games (including the Dallas-Arizona game) so I missed that. Also, I can't get the local HD channels without some ghetto 1960' era antenna...unlike Comcast which just piped it in nicely.

I wonder what Comcast would think if I ran a 10-20 mile cable out to the house? :D

I thought DirecTV carried the local over-the-air channels but you had to pay an extra $5 or $10 for them?

I thought DirecTV carried the local over-the-air channels but you had to pay an extra $5 or $10 for them?

Correct. But you need to be in a market that DirecTV offers this service and they have to have an agreement with each station they carry and the stations often charge for this, hence the added fee. Can be dicey if a specific station can't come to an agreement.

Yes, there was a problem in the system. I think the quote on the screen for 2 days was "Do not contact us...we are aware of the problem." But we still ain't turning on the blacked out games, sucker.

Oh, and the $5 extra Comcast charges you for HDTV is $10 with DirecTV and it doesn't include hi-def with the NFL ticket. I think you have to pay another first-born child to get the NFL ticket in HD.

Yes, there was a problem in the system. I think the quote on the screen for 2 days was "Do not contact us...we are aware of the problem." But we still ain't turning on the blacked out games, sucker.

Oh, and the $5 extra Comcast charges you for HDTV is $10 with DirecTV and it doesn't include hi-def with the NFL ticket. I think you have to pay another first-born child to get the NFL ticket in HD.

The ESPN package costs me $6 / month with Comcast. The HD for NBC, CBS, ABC, etc is free.

I have the NFL Network through RCN Cable. I was flipping through the channels a few days ago and saw a notice on the bottom of the screen on the NFL Network that b/c of fees charged (by the NFL i assume), my cable company may not be showing some of the thursday games. Yes, I have the NFL Network and I still can't watch the games on it according to this message. Has anyone heard anything about this or understand how this could be the case?

Yes, in theory they should be the same. However, there is less degradation in the signal with satellite. The satellite signal does not travel through cable lines except from the dish to the tv. Cable signals travel primarily through cable lines and encounter resistance the entire way. This resistance degrades the signal. That is why the picture is better. The difference can vary from region to region and distance from the origination of the signal to your home. I have an HDTV and recently switched from cable HD to satellite HD service and the difference is night and day.

so it sounds like your beef would be with that company and not the actual "technology" of cable vs satellite. get my drift?

the technology is the same. the service is different and handled differently from the competing companies.

and if youd say that over the air technologies are better and more reliable and better quality than wired technologies, you'd be dead wrong. It's very easy to get interference with these technologies now since almost everything operates on the 2.4 ghz range. from cell phones and wireless security cameras to home networks.

now, i'm gonna petition for fiber optic cables to be run directly from every single stadium to every single house in America...any signers? :D

Yes, in theory they should be the same. However, there is less degradation in the signal with satellite. The satellite signal does not travel through cable lines except from the dish to the tv. Cable signals travel primarily through cable lines and encounter resistance the entire way. This resistance degrades the signal. That is why the picture is better. The difference can vary from region to region and distance from the origination of the signal to your home. I have an HDTV and recently switched from cable HD to satellite HD service and the difference is night and day.

and that's not even to mention the "amplifiers" (if you will) that are located every few blocks in every major city.

Direct TV and NFL Network, and the Sunday Ticket. Beats the hell out of our back woods cable supplier. My direct TV is 10 times more reliable than was my cable service. I've had direct TV for about 2 1/2 years now, this is my third year to have The Sunday Ticket, anyway, I've only lost service twice in that time, the longest time being for about 10 minutes. What prompted me to go with Direct TV was that 3 years ago, the friday before the Texas/OU game my cable went out. I called the cable company at about 5:30 pm that friday, and my cable didn't come back on until the second half of the afternoon games on Sunday. My only complaint is I don't get my locals in HD, and the locals and Direct TV haven't come to terms regarding the HD for them.

Direct TV and NFL Network, and the Sunday Ticket. Beats the hell out of our back woods cable supplier. My direct TV is 10 times more reliable than was my cable service. I've had direct TV for about 2 1/2 years now, this is my third year to have The Sunday Ticket, anyway, I've only lost service twice in that time, the longest time being for about 10 minutes. What prompted me to go with Direct TV was that 3 years ago, the friday before the Texas/OU game my cable went out. I called the cable company at about 5:30 pm that friday, and my cable didn't come back on until the second half of the afternoon games on Sunday. My only complaint is I don't get my locals in HD, and the locals and Direct TV haven't come to terms regarding the HD for them.

My cable service is severely top notch. Head and shoulders above anything i've ever used. And they actually have a monopoly out here, and they still act like they're just trying to get a piece of the pie. I respect that.

On Demand is enough for me to stay with cable alone, but I'd give it up for NFL sunday ticket, but I wouldn't give up my internet service.

Satelite only goes out when it is like a monsoon outside. I don't understand why people use that argument either.

Not here in Northern Michigan.Wet snow absolutely sucks.It isn't even Thanksgiving yet and I have twice had to climb up and clean the sticky crap off each dish.With that said I will never go back to cable.This is my first year with the Sunday ticket and Superfan.The NFL in HD is sooooooooooo good.