[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rematch Good for College Football?

Rockerbraves

I'm sure everyone has seen the map on ESPN indicating which states support and oppose a rematch. Not surprising the Big Ten states support a rematch while the South and West oppose. My biggest concern about a rematch is the potential of Michigan winning the rematch. Again, if this were to happen we would have the real possiblity of having mulitply one loss teams staking claim to the National Championship. And if Ohio State wins the rematch that only solidifies they're the best of the Big Ten.

Now granted if you are one of those feel good T-Ball kind of people who steer away from competition, crowning several National Champions could actually be considered a good thing. I'm certainly not one. I'm the Dad in the stands keeping score at my 6 year olds baseball game. Can't say I like to lose, but I do love competing.

What's really surprising with the exception of the Wolverine fans is that most Big 10 fans don't want to pit their conference champion against either the Pac 10 or SEC champion. Now I'm not an idiot, I understand if it were the SEC, many fans would enjoy and defend having two SEC teams in the NC as well. Especially if the 2nd team was their team. However wouldn't you think most true Big Ten fans would prefer to put a Big 10 type whopping on either the Pac 10, SEC or some other conference's best this season?

I know some disagree, however I truly feel the BCS overall goal, as lofty as it might sound is to crown an Undisputed National Champion. In short, a Michigan win in a rematch would not come close to accomplishing that lofty goal. Now with that said, I strongly believe the BCS should not change the "rules of the game" once the season begins, so if Michigan ends up being the 2nd ranked BCS team so be it. What I am proposing is that the Pac 10, Big Ten and whatever other conferences follow the lead of the SEC and hold their own conference championships opposed to using the NC to determine their conference champion

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree for the most part... if it does indeed end up being a rematch under the current systesm, so be it. BUT what a disaster IMO, Mich wins round 2 great! who exactly is the best team in america again? if OSU prevails, we will all wonder how they would fare out of the Big 10. I may be in the minority here, but with the Big 10 being so down this year, I am not really convinced OSU/Mich are as good as advertised. I will be hoping USC wins out, and any Big 10 rematch is a moot point b/c I think USC kicks Mich's tail on a neutral field. USC's D is a rock right now- and much much better than anyone OSU, or Mich has faced. As for a Pac 10 Conference championship- it won't happen unless they expand, and it shouldn't. I give the SEC props, but let's face it, they are notorious for not playing the strongest non conference sched., and they hide behind the SEC ttile game, as the reason. May be a legit point b/c I have alot of respek for the SEC, but at the same time, no other conference plays a non-conference sched. as tough as the Pac 10 does.

bring on a playoff already. the differnces between teams is getting closer and closer every year.......Ark being a good example- dummied by USC, but they are now the SEC's best team and are light years better than they were in Sept., and could likely play with anyone now, but will be denied.

maybe i can be considered a conspiracy theorist ... but i say the BCS and NC crap is all about the Benjamins $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ...

therefore, if certain people in certain conferences feel the need to promote their conference and do not feel it is fair for once conference to get mega-exposure by having the two teams in the NC from the same conference, then there will be all sorts of lobbying from those conferences to the powers that be and it seems to me the strongest lobbier will win

the conferences say they care, but what they care most about is that they receive their slice of the $$ pie

it is sad that most of the football players will help make tons of money for their respective schools and conferences and never see one iota of it ...

i think a rematch would be good for two reasons:

1. Tressell could kick UM's backside again on a "neutral" field and put to rest Mike Hart's silly notion that somehow the better team didn't win in Columbus.

2. It would cause many other coaches to put more intense pressure for a playoff system of one sort or another ... effectively, getting the ball rolling even though it would not take effect immediately.

however, if they can't figure out a playoff system that will generate the same amount of $$$ then I don't see it happening.

maybe i can be considered a conspiracy theorist ... but i say the BCS and NC crap is all about the Benjamins $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ...

therefore, if certain people in certain conferences feel the need to promote their conference and do not feel it is fair for once conference to get mega-exposure by having the two teams in the NC from the same conference, then there will be all sorts of lobbying from those conferences to the powers that be and it seems to me the strongest lobbier will win.

Money does talk. Would imagine the SEC Commissioner will be leaning more towards a playoff if the SEC get's locked out again.

I may be in the minority here, but with the Big 10 being so down this year, I am not really convinced OSU/Mich are as good as advertised.

Big 10 being down this year .......................can you please tell me any conference in the country that has 3 equal or better teams then OSU, Michigan and Wisconsin?

What? USC-Cal and Oregon St. :D

:D

Big 10 being down this year .......................can you please tell me any conference in the country that has 3 equal or better teams then OSU, Michigan and Wisconsin?

What? USC-Cal and Oregon St. :D

:D

I will give you OSU/Mich- Wisky?? please. that team played no one- they would have lost in conference in the Pac 10 2 or 3 times- similar to Cal, Oregon. The rest of the league is way down- my point was it is kind of the opposite this year, normally the Pac 10 is top heavy, and the Big 10 is stronger throught- this year? not so- Cal would dummy Wisconsin. The Big 10 from 3-11 has ZERO wins against top 30 teams. horrible.

therefore, if certain people in certain conferences feel the need to promote their conference and do not feel it is fair for once conference to get mega-exposure by having the two teams in the NC from the same conference, then there will be all sorts of lobbying from those conferences to the powers that be and it seems to me the strongest lobbier will win

the conferences say they care, but what they care most about is that they receive their slice of the $$ pie

it is sad that most of the football players will help make tons of money for their respective schools and conferences and never see one iota of it ...

i think a rematch would be good for two reasons:

1. Tressell could kick UM's backside again on a "neutral" field and put to rest Mike Hart's silly notion that somehow the better team didn't win in Columbus.

2. It would cause many other coaches to put more intense pressure for a playoff system of one sort or another ... effectively, getting the ball rolling even though it would not take effect immediately.

however, if they can't figure out a playoff system that will generate the same amount of $$$ then I don't see it happening.

I think that most of the players that take the field on Saturdays have either a full or partial scholarship. Would seem to me that they get an education out of the deal.

You need 12 teams for a conference championship between 2 divisions. What 3 teams could be added to the Pac10 and Big10+1 to make that happen?

I wouldn't mind, but choose carefully - if the teams suck then it won't help for the strength of schedule stuff. Look at the Big12 North....

I'm a Big Ten fan. And I am opposed to a rematch, because Michigan isn't a conference champion. That said, I can't do anything about the BCS making #1 Ohio State vs #2 Michigan. I do think that they are the 2 best teams, and under a playoff system, I would bet money that they would face each other in the National Championship game. But there isn't a playoff system, thereforeI don't feel they deserve to be in the NC game. I think the Big Ten will hold there own in bowl games and put this Big Ten is a sucky conference thing to rest. Reminds me of 2002. Everyone said the Big Ten is overrated, and sucks, blah blah blah. Then all the sudden our 7th and 8th place teams started beating up on top tier teams in the Big 12 and SEC, and everyone didn't know what to say. I'm not saying that's the case this year, as I don't even believe this conference is as deep as it was in 2002, but lets wait until AFTER the bowl season to start saying it sucks. I personally beleive that whoever gets ranked #2 by the BCS is gonna get routed by Ohio State, so the National Championship at least will be the Big Tens outright. Michigan, if they go to the Rose, should easily win out there. And I like Wisconsin and there power running game and stout defense vs any SEC team that gets thrown at them in the Capital One Bowl. After that, we'll see. Depends on the match ups.

You need 12 teams for a conference championship between 2 divisions. What 3 teams could be added to the Pac10 and Big10+1 to make that happen?

I wouldn't mind, but choose carefully - if the teams suck then it won't help for the strength of schedule stuff. Look at the Big12 North....

Not sure why 12 teams is absolutely mandatory to have a conference championship game? How do you figure your conference champions today? Take the two top teams and play another game. That seems simply enough. Am I missing something? Maybe some tie breakers?

Edited by Rockerbraves

Where in the world are people getting this crazy idea that if USC does indeed play OSU in the NC title game they would get blown out? what exactly is this based on? is it based on the fact that USC has never been blow out under Pete Carroll? or the fact that their worst loss under Carroll was 4 YEARS ago, 27-20 to K State. Amazing to me, if SC wins out, if I were OSU, I would not want any part of that team, and if there is one thing you can count on, it is USC not getting blown out.

and Brian, yes the Big 10 is DOWN. Wisky has beaten nobody all year- their best win is what? Penn State? Purdue? I mean, come on. The 3-11 teams have ZERO wins against top 30 competition. I would go so far as the BIG 10 as a conference was awful this year...... You all better hope OSU wins the NC, otherwise this conference will really be exposed. I am not a Big 10 hater, calling it like I see it- I think it usually is very strong, and there are many tough outs thru the league most years- not this year- it just has not been strong.

Let's see if we can attempt to find a couple of teams they could be added to the Pac 10 and Big 10 to round them up to 12.

Big Ten - Notre Dame is the logical choice there. If those azzes from ND want to remain Independent look towards the Big East Conference. Those teams haven't shown much conference loyalty (Syracuse, West Virginia, Louisville) Would actually be a plus on the basketball side of the Big Ten.

Pac 10 is harder. Guess you would look for the best overall athletic programs from the WAC and Mountain West. First school to pop into my head was BYU. Any of the Utah teams have any consistent good athletics. Maybe the Big 12 would be willing to drop one of their North teams aka Colorado to pick up TCU.

Very simple... it's against the NCAA rules. NCAA won't allow any type of championship game, unless your conference has 12 teams.

Any idea why it's against NCAA rules? If there's not a good reason then it seems like it would be fairly simple to get the rule changed. Any other reasons why they can't have a conference championship?

Edited by Rockerbraves

Where in the world are people getting this crazy idea that if USC does indeed play OSU in the NC title game they would get blown out? what exactly is this based on? is it based on the fact that USC has never been blow out under Pete Carroll? or the fact that their worst loss under Carroll was 4 YEARS ago, 27-20 to K State. Amazing to me, if SC wins out, if I were OSU, I would not want any part of that team, and if there is one thing you can count on, it is USC not getting blown out.

and Brian, yes the Big 10 is DOWN. Wisky has beaten nobody all year- their best win is what? Penn State? Purdue? I mean, come on. The 3-11 teams have ZERO wins against top 30 competition. I would go so far as the BIG 10 as a conference was awful this year...... You all better hope OSU wins the NC, otherwise this conference will really be exposed. I am not a Big 10 hater, calling it like I see it- I think it usually is very strong, and there are many tough outs thru the league most years- not this year- it just has not been strong.

And what exactly will you be saying if the Big Ten does well this bowl season? I'm not ready to say ANY conference sucks right now. The Bowl season is almost upon us. It's when teams should be at there best, because they've had a year of experience. You're playing (usually) a pretty close team from different conferences. If all those teams that you mentioned, get waxed in there bowl games by someone other than Michigan and Ohio State, then I absolutely will agree with you, officially the Big Ten will be down, and I would agree with you in saying it was awful. But if they do well, then what will that make the other conferences?

Ohio State will beat USC by more than a td if they play. I'm not gonna say USC sucks, but they almost lost to some REALLY bad teams, and got beat by a very average and unranked Oregon State team. Since then they've "REBOUNDED" with wins over Stanford (One of the worst teams in all of college football, sorry I'm not impressed) Oregon and Cal at home. Oregon is unranked, and has NO DEFENSE at all, just got waxed by Arizona at home, sorry they are not that good. Cal was a quality win for USC, but it was at home in a game where Cal was already going in a different direction due to there loss at Arizona the week before. They went and destroyed Arkansas, and that win will be pretty impressive by seasons end. I wonder, however, how they would fare vs Arkansas today? I doubt they put up 50. Meanwhile, Ohio State has only had 1 close games, I don't count Illinois, because they had the game well in hand, even when the offense was sleepwalking.

USC beating Notre Dame won't mean much, since Michigan already did it, and quite impressively. When Ohio State's offense is clicking, no defense in america can stop them. No team has that kill everything in site, shut down defense this year, like Ohio State in 2002, or Oklahoma in 2000. I do think USC can move the ball on Ohio State, so when I say route, I mean, you will never get the feeling that USC had a serious chance at winning the game. You will just get that feeling during the game. It's just my opinion, I MIGHT be wrong, but Ohio State is the best team right now, and should win vs whoever they play in Glendale.

Any idea why it's against NCAA rules? If there's not a good reason then it seems like it would be fairly simple to get the rule changed. Any other reasons why they can't have a conference championship?

I have no idea why that is. But tiebreakers aren't exactly foreign to the SEC. Before 1992, they used them. Before 1996 the Big 8 and old Southwest Conference used them. Those conferences expanded to 12 teams, therefore they got to have conference championship games. The reason for conference championship games, is to generate more money. Nothing more, nothing less. The Big Ten generates more money than any other conference without them, so from that standpoint, it'd be pretty pointless. I fail to see what the issue is anyway. Ohio State went 8-0. No other team did that in the conference. What is the big deal? As for the Pac 10, they recently changed there schedule rules so that they could play 9 conference games, therefore every team would play each other. That wouldn't work in the Big Ten, unless we dropped a non conference game (in a 12 game schedule) and would have to drop down to only 1 non conference game in a 11 game schedule. Wonder what the argument there would be.

Big Ten would love to add a 12th team. But we are not only a sports conference, but an academic conference as well. I know that to be in the Big Ten you need to increase your tuition rates, and have to meet certain academic standards as well.

Notre Dame indeed fits the criteria, but they don't want to join the conference, and why would they? ND doens't have to share revenue with anyone, they have there own tv contract with NBC, which they can hog all of the revenue there. So they are out for now. If they take a dip again, and NBC drops them, they'll come grovelling to the Big Ten to take them in, but that won't happen anytime soon. The program has rebounded, and they are once again in the national spotlight. They would also have to drop the Big East in Basketball, because I guarantee, the Big Ten won't allow a team to be in the conference for one sport, and not for another. It just won't happen. It's an ACTUAL conference.

Pittsburgh would be a natural fit, because of there history with Penn State, that's a natural rivalry. But there again, would they leave the Big East in Basketball as well? I would love Syracuse to be honest, get the state of New York in. But, because of there Big East ties in Basketball, it's highly unlikely they'd leave the Big East.

There was talk of Missouri, but they don't meet the academic requirements. Don't remember where I read that, but it has something to do with the Engineering program. Either you have to have one, or it has to meet certain requirements.

Edited by GWPFFL BrianW

I fail to see what the issue is anyway. Ohio State went 8-0. No other team did that in the conference. What is the big deal?

Do you think Badger fans are happy about being left out of the BCS Bowls? Can't imagine any Wisconsin coach, player or fan backing away from a shot at playing Ohio State at least once this season. Don't you think it's only fair they get another shot at Michigan if the Wolverines get two vs. Ohio State? Haven't visited any Badger forums, but would guess I'm not way off on this one.

A conference championship game might open the door for a BCS Bowl for the Badgers. Assume there were no divisions in the Big Ten: Michigan & Ohio State would be in the championship game this year based off Michigan's win over Wisconsin. Let's assume for the sake of discussion that Michigan lost to Ohio State this time by say 14 points. That would give Michigan 2 consecutive losses to close out there season possibly opening the door for a team like Wisconsin to over take Michigan in the BCS bowl standings. Aka when LSU lost to Georgia in the 2005 SEC championship game that dropped LSU down to the Peach Bowl while Auburn went to the higher seed Capital One Bowl despite losing to LSU earlier that season.

I don't doubt that some Wisconsin fans might feel that way, but at the same time, I can give you countless examples of why there are many more fans like me that go into the season, knowing what there team has to do to get the job done, and really have no right to pi$$ and moan about it later on. For example, in 2004, Iowa at the end of the year, was the best team in the Big Ten, but they opened the Big Ten season up with a loss to Michigan. Both teams were 7-1 in conference play. Iowa got sent to the Capital One Bowl, while Michigan went to the Rose Bowl based on the Head to Head tiebreaker. Does it suck? Yeah sure, but Iowa had there chance when they played Michigan. For example, if you're a Big 12 north team, you know, no matter how bad you suck vs south teams during the regular season, you still can back into a BCS game by pulling off a monumental upset. It doesn't happen in the SEC too much because they split off the Big 6 pretty well, so it's pretty rare that one team is so vastly superior to the other team, but come on... it doesn't bother you, that Colorado of all teams actually had a shot at playing in a BCS game last year? Granted, they were an awful team, and Texas coulda beat them with there 5th stringers, but the slim possibility was still there. The bottom line is, conference championship games work well in some conferences, but there is no use for it in the Big Ten. Tiebreakers work just fine. And besides, if Wisconsin just beat Michigan, then who knows, maybe Wisconsin would get it's crack at Ohio State, on January 8th. The bottom line is, every year, you look at the schedule, and you know what you have to do to win a conference title (more importantly an automatic BCS berth) If you don't get the job done, then you don't get in. Wisconsin lost to Michigan, Michigan lost to Ohio State, the schedule worked out, unfortunately this year, that Wisconsin didn't play OSU this year. Sorry Badger fans, but that's how the chips fall.