[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Today's Athlete

MikesVikes

A person doesn't have to look far beyond this week's MNF game to see that a football player in today's world can sure have some issues.

Eli Manning....I can't throw the football when those guys are trying to tackle me. :D

Jeremy Shockey...He's not throwing me the ball! Why can't he throw the ball to me? :D

Reggie Williams...I can't catch the ball! If I don't catch the ball, the coach is gonna yell at me! :bash:

Plaxico Burress...I'm not tackling that dude! Let Eli tackle him, he's the one that threw the ball! :clap:

Of course the problem is further spread out than just these two teams. Troy Williamson is a complete basket case and can't catch anything.

So what is wrong with these people trying to play football? These players are in way over their heads and look like they'd like to hide in a corner until the game is over.

Were they not breast fed long enough when they were young?

Is this generation of players wimps that have never had to deal with issues like these before?

Why do today's coaches need to be hand holding coddlers to these NFL players of today?

Does anyone think that players from 30 years ago had problems like these?

Edited by MikesVikes

Does anyone think that players from 30 years ago had problems like these?

Probably, as far as the throwing and catching goes. I have no idea where to get the numbers but I'll bet completion percentages and catch percentages weren't that different.

The lazy ass Plaxico tackle was probably the result of thinking the guy was down or, possibly, not knowing the proper rules.

Shockey is just an a-hole and those have been around for hundreds of years.

Probably, as far as the throwing and catching goes. I have no idea where to get the numbers but I'll bet completion percentages and catch percentages weren't that different.

Dunno if I'm misreading this, but the standard for competion percentage has gone WAY up in the past 30 years.

Back in the mid-70s, Ken Anderson was a god for completing passes at a 60% clip. These days, that's virtually the Mendoza line for a QB - under 60%, you'd best be throwing plenty of tds and not many ints.

There are many reasons for this - the Walsh offense being one - but the main is the 5-yard chuck rule instituted in '78 and tweaked in '92, and at least once more since - WRs in the mid-70s had guys like Mel Blount and Lester Hayes pounding them upside the head all over the field.

ok, back when Jim Brown was making it look easy in the NFL, he was NOT playing against people who spent 350 days out of the year to make damn sure they made roster. Guys back then dug ditches and sold cars and insurance in the offseason. Locally, that's why I have to deal Mel Farr Super Star really bad local car dealer ads (man, they are the worst I've ever seen!) So, todays NFL places a mega-premium on a few things, at QB-It's reaction time, if J Harrington had a lil bit more of this he'd do fine as a for instance, and as I said when the Lions drafted him, he's a Gannon, we train him up for millions, someone else gets him 10 years later when he can handle it. At RB, speed kills of course, but you need enough bulk to handle the most dangerous job outside of the military (Go Army-Navy-Air Force-Marines, if I wasn't blinded in one eye I'd be there damnit!!! But I'll keep trying to get em to give me some kind of comission!) So the RB scenario is what it is. Even good RB's don't go much more than 6 years. Emmit, Barry, Payton-they are legends for a reason-that is NOT a safe job. I worked at Gateway in Grand Rapids with a guy who was Walt Garrison's backup at Oklahoma (Walt Played for the Cowboys for a decent career back in the day for you youngsters) and he gave me a great quote on that from Walt who also did rodeo professionally, the question was whether playing RB in the NFL (He was a FB back when FB's got carries regularly) or rodeo riding was more dangerous and he did not hesitate to say "In rodeo, I got one bloodthirsty animal trying to hurt me, in the NFL, I had 11 of them and I couldn't see where they all were. No contest." That was over 30 years ago-and Walt would be unlikely to unseat a backup FB today if he was the same Walt as he was in the 70's. He would not even be invited to camp as a feee agent. Today's NFL is full of talent, more so than any other time because training has advanced so far. If Troy Williamson played in 30's, he'd be a legend, but he doesn't. If Josh Booty played in the 30's he'd probably be one too. When I was growing up, OL weights were in the 270's, now most teams average nearly 300. WR's are approaching NBA forward heights, same with TE's.

My point? Do a Plimpton and try to make it through an NFL training camp for a week before calling these guys pussies. I read the arrest reports, and apparently the few who do call em out like that get their asses kicked (if they do it in person) whcih the NFL should try to curtail. Prima-Donnas, yeah TO is amongst others, drunks and wife-beaters, yep, there's that too, and damn right they should know better. The NFL ain't perfect, either are the players, but if it was so easy to play, how come so few of us are making those easy millions?

Sorry for the rant. But I guarantee you 50% of the nfl teams will lose next week, just like 30 years ago. And just like 30 years ago, the Lions will likely make at least 4 dumbass penalties like holding on some guy way away from the action. But here's the real reason for posting, 30 years ago if Walt Garrison fumbled a handoff on 3rd and 2 with 5 minutes left in the fourth quarter costing the Cowboys a Turkey Day game, you didn't have a bunch of windbags at ESPN or Jim Rome homo's calling him out to try to sound like they were tough and Walt wasn't. Today's competition is much tougher than the days of yore, the days of yore just didn't have so much TV time....

I'll shut up now

Edited by Snoil

Was it Duane Thomas who played an entire year without talking to anybody. He was kind of a hole that would fit in on today's teams.

Something tells me that Ray Nitschke or Dick Butkus didn't have to sit in a corner until they had enough confidence to play again. :D