[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jay Cutler

sundaynfl

via CBS:

The News

The Broncos are benching Jake Plummer, but the move won't come until after their upcoming game. NFL.com's Adam Schefter reported that rookie Jay Cutler will likely start when the Broncos host the Seahawks on December 3. Plummer will start this Thursday against the Chiefs.

Our View

Will Mike Shanahan trust Cutler any more than he has Plummer? That's tough to predict, but it may be worth a gamble. The Broncos finish the season against the Cardinals, Bengals and 49ers, three bottom-tier pass defenses. We usually don't recommend betting on rookie quarterbacks, but Cutler is worth a look in deeper leagues and if your current backup passer is a dud.

i speculated the same thing here a couple days ago, and i'm sure adam schefter's talked to more people in the organization than i have (0). but i'm sure it's totally dependent on plummer's performance tomorrow. if he plays moderately well and, more importantly, the broncos win, i highly doubt we see cutler this year. but if he stinks up the joint...yeah, i think it happens.

something to keep in mind...after thursday's game, there's 10 days, then we play seattle (21st ranked defense in the league), san diego (14th ranked), arizona (26th), cincinnati (25th), and san francisco (32nd).

if EVER there were a time to plug in a rookie QB heading into a playoff run, this is it.

if EVER there were a time to plug in a rookie QB heading into a playoff run, this is it.

:D

It's fun to watch the Broncos implode.

Think about that for a second...that the team is making a playoff run in and of itself is enough not to make a change IMO. You keep seeing the stat flashed that talks about Plummer's record as a starting QB in Den, but regardless of winning football games there's a constant lynch mob behind Plummer. No wonder he's struggling. All that criticism would get to anyone.

So why not throw a rookie into the lions den to get ripped apart :D

It's fun to watch the Broncos implode.

Think about that for a second...that the team is making a playoff run in and of itself is enough not to make a change IMO. You keep seeing the stat flashed that talks about Plummer's record as a starting QB in Den, but regardless of winning football games there's a constant lynch mob behind Plummer. No wonder he's struggling. All that criticism would get to anyone.

So why not throw a rookie into the lions den to get ripped apart :bash:

The Broncos are not imploding... The Broncos are just looking at replacing a player who is struggling and his struggles really affect the offense. Now that teams have figured out that the only way Plummer can actually throw the ball by rolling out of the pocket on a bootleg there is always someone there to plant his ass. I am never a fan of starting a rookie QB, but when your starter has a 69.7 passer rating, 6 fumbles and can't throw unless he is outside the pocket... I am all for it! I think the offense will run a lot better with Cutler behind center.

just MHO

It's about time! If this is true what a huge distraction prior to playing this Thursday's game. How often does a QB change get announced the week PRIOR to making the switch? A rookie will always make some crucial mistakes but Plummer's play has been awful this year so this has to be viewed as an upgrade. Cutler seems to bring more big play ability to the offense. The Broncos definately could use some explosion in their passing game. I hope Cutler has good chemistry with Walker.

So why not throw a rookie into the lions den to get ripped apart :D

You're right...going with the youngster is a mistake.

After all, I bet the Cowboys are really kicking themselves for benching their slow-footed mistake-prone veteran QB for a young kid with a cannon. I can see, with all the success the Broncos have had passing the ball, why the Broncos would want to stand pat.

It would be very difficult to make the arguement the the Broncos are winning this year because of Plummer. I would say that the Broncos are winning despite Plummer.

He had a great year last year as "no mistake Jake". I don't know what happened after that.... probably the same thing that happened before that. He's not smart.

Maybe Cutler isn't any better, but I'd say that even a step down from Plummer to the worst QB in the league is not a giant step right now, and it's not a bad time to take a chance on Jay. You'd be a fool to think we can continue to win like this in the Playoffs.

Edited by AtomicCEO

You're right...going with the youngster is a mistake.

After all, I bet the Cowboys are really kicking themselves for benching their slow-footed mistake-prone veteran QB for a young kid with a cannon. I can see, with all the success the Broncos have had passing the ball, why the Broncos would want to stand pat.

Stoooopid comparison. Cutler's a rookie. Romo had been involved in the Cowboys system for several seasons.

There's also a pretty big difference in making that shake-up in week 6 versus week 13 :D

It would be very difficult to make the arguement the the Broncos are winning this year because of Plummer. I would say that the Broncos are winning despite Plummer.

He had a great year last year as "no mistake Jake". I don't know what happened after that.... probably the same thing that happened before that. He's not smart.

Maybe Cutler isn't any better, but I'd say that even a step down from Plummer to the worst QB in the league is not a giant step right now, and it's not a bad time to take a chance on Jay. You'd be a fool to think we can continue to win like this in the Playoffs.

Yeah, except that if you go back and look, you would find the same claim being made the whole time Plummer's been with the Broncos.

I'm not arguing that the guy is setting the world on fire, but I am arguing that he is the best chance you have for success.

Stoooopid comparison. Cutler's a rookie. Romo had been involved in the Cowboys system for several seasons.

There's also a pretty big difference in making that shake-up in week 6 versus week 13 :D

Really? How many game's had Romo started before they "threw him to the wolves" versus Carolina? That's the comparison worth noting, moran.

And you're right, there is a big difference in making a shake-up in Week 6 versus Week 13....Week 6 gives you a game or two to see what he can do, then have the option to switch back. Week 13 is desperation time, and if Plummer in mediocre or worse tomorrow (and they lose, and thus fall out of the playoff picture and into 3rd place in their own division), it is DEFINITELY time to see if the team can rally around the youngster, if for nothing else, to light a fire under them.

What has Jake Plummer done this year to make you think he is the guy the team will rally around? :D

Just a quick note to add about tomorrow's game: Denver NEVER wins in KC, especially in Nov or Dec. History tells us that KC will beat Denver, and more than likely Jake Plummer will help them do just that.

I am all for making the switch now. Everyone knew that Plummer was a lame duck qb going into the season: he will not be with the team next year, and he has basically sucked this year, so they might as well bench him.

Jake Cutler played here in Nashville for Vanderbilt. For those Huddlers that are not well versed with the Commodore program, they havent had a winning season since Skylive5 was knee high to a junebug. They play in argueably the best conference in college football, but their team always sucks and they cant really compete even with the lower echelon teams in the league. Cutler NEVER played for a winning team in college, and yet was named the SEC Player of the Year. Think about that for 1 second. His teams always had a losing record and yet he was the SEC player of the year. How often do you see something like that happen? Answer: NEVER!

He ran for his life every single time he dropped back to pass simply because Vandys talent was so inferior to every team on their schedule. It was sick. But Cutler is just one of those guys who sees the field better than everyone else. I am 43 years old and have been an avid college football fan my entire life and I can honestly say that I have never seen anyone quite like Cutler. He may be a total flop at the NFL level. But he was nothing short of spectacular in college. He carried a very very bad team on his back each and every week against the best players in college. It was the most incredible thing I have ever seen.

What has Jake Plummer done this year to make you think he is the guy the team will rally around? :D

I don't think it's about that. I think it's about his having the respect of his teammates after having led them to wins in approximately 2/3 of his starts as a Bronco. That respect is something that I am taking the word of reporters on, but I don't see why anyone would try to make it up.

Cutler does not have the same regard. He can't because he hasn't earned it yet.

I don't think it's about that. I think it's about his having the respect of his teammates after having led them to wins in approximately 2/3 of his starts as a Bronco. That respect is something that I am taking the word of reporters on, but I don't see why anyone would try to make it up.

Cutler does not have the same regard. He can't because he hasn't earned it yet.

I think the point is that Plummer has completely lost the respect of his teammates, as well as the coaching staff, and they know they cant go deep in the playoffs with his mistake prone ass behind center...

I think the point is that Plummer has completely lost the respect of his teammates, as well as the coaching staff, and they know they cant go deep in the playoffs with his mistake prone ass behind center...

:D Have you seen anything printed that would indicate this?

Peter King does a weekly radio interview in Boston each THursday, and last Thursday he sad exactly the opposite. That's what I have to base my thoughts on, but I imagine Peter King has connections there.