[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Who SHOULD be #2 in the BCS?

theeohiostate

Taking the quality loss and common opponents into consideration, it's hard for

anyone being subjective to say Michigan isn't the 2nd best in the nation.

Common opponents

Notre Dame

Michigan beats them by 26 AT Notre Dame 47-21

USC beats them AT home by 20 , 44-24

Quality Loss

Michigan loses to undefeated OSU AT OSU by 3 points.

USC loses to (8-4) Oregon St AT Oregon St. by 2 points.

Is there anyone out there that sees USC as the more deserving

when reviewing the facts above?..........NOT YOU , HOMERS! :D:D

Michigan had the MUCH better quality opponent loss and beat ND more convincingly

at Notre Dame.........even

Edited by theeohiostate

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

USC = Pac 10 Champions

Michigan = Big Ten Runner Ups

In a system that only includes TWO (TWO) teams, it should be REQUIRED, that you win your conference title to be in the game. If there was a playoff, I'd feel differently (although would still feel that champions should get automatic berths), but we are far from a playoff. Michigan is the 2nd best team in the nation, but they didn't take care of business.

there talking about ND vs Michigan in a rematch in the Rose Bowl :D

Now, people don't want to see a rematch of the 2 best teams in the country with OSU and Michigan, but it's okay to see a rematch of the biggest blowout of the season????

I just love the BCS selection process :D

USC = Pac 10 Champions

Michigan = Big Ten Runner Ups

In a system that only includes TWO (TWO) teams, it should be REQUIRED, that you win your conference title to be in the game. If there was a playoff, I'd feel differently (although would still feel that champions should get automatic berths), but we are far from a playoff. Michigan is the 2nd best team in the nation, but they didn't take care of business.

I agree you should win your conference, BUT, when your conferece will boast 3 teams in the top 5 of the BCS standings when released Monday, it's hard to say that. I don't want to see Michigan, but it's BcS, that they'll get slighted by a lessor team, just because they play in the same conference as OSU.

Common opponents

Notre Dame

Quality Loss

when reviewing the facts above?..........NOT YOU , HOMERS! :bash::D

Michigan had the MUCH better quality opponent loss and beat ND more convincingly

A remarkably coherent case. :D

The opposing view, however, lacks merit. You can't be Number 2 just because Number 1 is also in your conference? That is arbitrary and silly. Of course the top two teams could be in the same conference. Of course only one of them can win the conference. Of course one of them has to win if they have the nads to schedule each other (they could tie, I suppose). Saying Number 1 and Number 2 can't be from the same conference is baseless. Why would that even be considered? TV revenue? Fan boredome with a rematch? Because lesser teams who won lesser conferences are going to wet themselves because they aren't as good and we shouldn't hurt their feelings by admitting that the two top teams are in the same conference? If you follow the logic, maybe the NCAA should only allow one ACC team into the Final Four, regardless if three of them make it? That's a rule goofier than anything the BCS has ever dreamed up.

I know that Florida is not going to get into the NC game. I'm okay with that. Florida didn't crush opponents it should have and only did just enough to win 11 out of 12 times this year. If our offense was a tad bit stronger, we'd be 12-0 but it's not. I'm guessing there are a few teams in the country that would take 11 close wins rather than 2, 3, 4, or more losses. Urban Meyer is 20-4 in 2 years at Florida. No one has beaten the Gators at home in those two years. This year we beat Tenn, LSU, Alabama, fsu, and Georgia. Although Auburn beat us, their offense did not score a touchdown (LSU also did not score an offensive touchdown). We play for the SEC Championship next week. With fsu and u of miami clearly down, recruiting for Florida in the state should be significantly easier. I look forward to next year.

A remarkably coherent case. :D

The opposing view, however, lacks merit.

If you follow the logic, maybe the NCAA should only allow one ACC team into the Final Four, regardless if three of them make it?

Speaking of arguments that lack merit. This is the silliest argumentI've heard for Mich. to date. Basketball teams PLAY their way to the final four, they don't rely on computers or outsiders to PUT them there.

Common opponents

Notre Dame

Quality Loss

The term "quality loss" is a stupid one. Ask anyone involved in coaching and they will tell you there is no such thing, a loss is a loss. USC of FLA deserve the game more simply because Mich. had their shot at #1 and couldn't get it done on the field.

I will go USC with a win over UCLA. Taking the head-to-head stuff you have provided, which is compelling, USC has beaten more quality opponents this year. USC has beaten potentially TEN bowl-eligible teams this year while Michigan has beaten potentially five. To me, that is a big deal. The Big Ten plus one is not that good this year. I know that isn't Michigan's fault but it is what it is. Looking at the big picture, I want the team that has beaten the best over the course of time.

Common opponents

Notre Dame

Quality Loss

USC hands down-

quality Loss? common oppenents? doesn't tell you much. The flip side actaully- is show me Mich quality wins? ND ain't looking like that golden win - I mean ND should have lost so MSU & UCLA!! so, Big 10 homers, please enlighten me on QUALITY WINS........ answer- they don't have any other than this magical ND win

USC deserves it for playing the #3 SOS is the country, and losing once, to Oreg. St - who came on and ended up having a nice season, and is a tough team. You play USC's schedule and lose once- you deserve it. period. I don't even care that OSU/Mich are in the same conference- Mich schedule is not even close to USC's. You go 11-1, and lose to a team on the rise like Oreg. St by 2? it really doesn't matter and the BCS system will reward USC with the #2 spot based off them playing a tougher schedule

Edited by wildcat2334

Not quite ready to give USC the nod yet. They still have a relatively tough conference game left versus a UCLA team that will be highly motivated as well. Can't tell me the Bruins wouldn't just love to knock the Trojans out of the National Championship picture. However if the game participants were picked today my vote woud be Ohio State vs. USC. No offense to Florida but I'm not even sure the Gators are the best team in the SEC.

I have no doubt USC will play OSU, however Michigan loses to #1 OSU at the Shoe by 3 and USC loses to a unranked Oregon State and this is fair??? The problem for Michigan is they are done for the year and do not have a stage to show that they are clear #2. I hope this teaches the Big Ten that we need to make the schedule to fit with the other confrences. I would think if OSU and Michigan would have played yesterday and had the same type of game as the OSU/MICH was last week, that a whole lot of people would say there is no doubt Michigan is the #2 team in the country and at the end of the day...The point is to have the top 2 teams play each other period right???? or is it the 2 most attractive teams play????

I'm a Buckeye fan and just glad to see the Bucks get in at this point. I think USC and Michigan are very close and will be a great game either way. I just think Michigan is the #2 imo and they will be shut out only becuase there is more people that want OSU vs USC.

I have no doubt USC will play OSU, however Michigan loses to #1 OSU at the Shoe by 3 and USC loses to a unranked Oregon State and this is fair??? The problem for Michigan is they are done for the year and do not have a stage to show that they are clear #2. I hope this teaches the Big Ten that we need to make the schedule to fit with the other confrences. I would think if OSU and Michigan would have played yesterday and had the same type of game as the OSU/MICH was last week, that a whole lot of people would say there is no doubt Michigan is the #2 team in the country and at the end of the day...The point is to have the top 2 teams play each other period right???? or is it the 2 most attractive teams play????

I'm a Buckeye fan and just glad to see the Bucks get in at this point. I think USC and Michigan are very close and will be a great game either way. I just think Michigan is the #2 imo and they will be shut out only becuase there is more people that want OSU vs USC.

The arrogance of the Ohio State fans is down right annoying. Unlike Coach Green most college fans are not ready to crown you champions yet. Beat a top 10 team outside your conference in November before you annoint your team National Champions. Football fans need validation.

The arrogance of the Ohio State fans is down right annoying. Unlike Coach Green most college fans are not ready to crown you champions yet. Beat a top 10 team outside your conference in November before you annoint your team National Champions. Football fans need validation.

I a little confused by this comment. sacosud only echoes what analysts around the country are saying. Do you not watch the news? Michigan has the better arguement to be #2...........BY FAR! But, they didn't play in the last game of the season and lost late, so this is the end result. As far as playing someone in the top ten, i think we beat #2 Texas.........AT TEXAS this season and then beat #2 Michigan. I guess beating 2 #2's doesn't mean too much :D

:D

My vote goes with USC for #2 in the BCS based on the shellacking they gave my Irish last night. :D I've heard all the arguments about Michigan, and how they barely lost against #1 OSU. But the bottom line is they LOST their last game of the season. They should never have stayed at #2, although a pretty good case could be made as to them being deserving of that spot. Doesn't matter. How many of us have heard countless times that it's better to lose early, than late in the season? :D Michigan has a great team this year. But they lost their chance to vie for the NC when they LOST to OSU.

I a little confused by this comment. sacosud only echoes what analysts around the country are saying. Do you not watch the news? Michigan has the better arguement to be #2...........BY FAR! But, they didn't play in the last game of the season and lost late, so this is the end result. As far as playing someone in the top ten, i think we beat #2 Texas.........AT TEXAS this season and then beat #2 Michigan. I guess beating 2 #2's doesn't mean too much :D

:D

Texas #2! :bash: Give me a break. Are you referring to the preseason polls? :clap:

If I'm not mistaken the BCS polls were not released way back in September. Last time I checked Texas was ranked #13 in the BCS standings and that was prior to this weekend's lost to A&M. No telling how far they may fall in the BCS rankings. Looking for validation outside the Big Ten. Perhaps Big Ten fans are a little nervous that the Big Ten might get exposed? Heck we may even find out neither Michigan or Ohio State is even worthy of a #2 ranking when it's all said and done.

Weren't you the same person saying that wins in conference mean more than OOC? Make up your mind.

Texas #2! :D Give me a break. Are you referring to the preseason polls? :D

If I'm not mistaken the BCS polls were not released way back in September. Last time I checked Texas was ranked #13 in the BCS standings and that was prior to this weekend's lost to A&M. No telling how far they may fall in the BCS rankings. Looking for validation outside the Big Ten. Perhaps Big Ten fans are a little nervous that the Big Ten might get exposed? Heck we may even find out neither Michigan or Ohio State is even worthy of a #2 ranking when it's all said and done.

I'm not nervous about anything. Ohio State beats ANYONE (including Michigan) by 14 or more in Glendale. Bank on it. As for Michigans case (which I have stated over and over i do not support) they also beat Wisconsin, will be ranked in the top 5 of your bcs poll.

Texas #2! :bash: Give me a break. Are you referring to the preseason polls? :clap:

:D Make up your mind, is the BCS good or not?

The same preseason polls that had OSU #1 and USC #3, i'd say they had it perfect. :D

I think your bending facts to fit your perception. The fact is the BCS will be released later today and the BIG 10 will have THREE teams in the top 5.

Bend that fact :tup:

OSU has proven over the last 5 seasons to be 1 of the 3 or 4 best programs in the nation, if not the #1. Your unfounded opinons are just that.

Edited by theeohiostate

Where did you get any arrogance from my post??? There was no assumption of us being the National Champion in my post at all. It's a FACT OSU is in the big game and as my last post said, I'm very happy to see OSU get to that point. It's also a fact that Michigan played the #1 team in the country at OSU...I did not make that up it's a fact. I'm sorry I guess beating two #2 teams in a season and playing a 3rd in a season is not impressive. I think most leagues are playing in their conferences in NOVEMBER. OSU has never backed away from anyone and have home and home with Miami and USC in the upcoming years. You need to read the post fully before opening the pie hole.

Edited by sacosud

Texas #2! :D Give me a break. Are you referring to the preseason polls? :D

This is plain and simple crying, Texas was #2 when OSU played them in Austin another FACT your trying to pass off as if OSU fans made it up. The BCS release was after the game and AFTER they had loss to the Buckeyes and at the time there was undeafeted teams ahead of Texas. I guess that means OSU should not get any respect for playing Texas who was #2 in both the coaches poll and AP. OSU can not make the BCS poll come out any sooner...I guess if we wanted to we could put some pressure on some folks and get it done..THAT'S BECAUSE WE ARE the #1 program in the country is that arrogant enough for you.