[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

cutler to start the rest of yr

crispirons

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

romo, what 4 years in the league? i guess and culter about 3/4 of a year... big difference.

I'm not so sure...

Amazingly, rookie Vince Young (with no real weapons around him and a lousy defense) is 4-4 as a starter this year.

No reason that, with a better defense and Walker/Smith, that Cutler can't be .500 here on out.

With 5 games left, if he can go 3-2, the Broncos finish 10-6.

Well, it can't get much worse than 2 divisional losses in less than a week that drop DEN from the #2 seed in the AFC to being 1 game away from not making the playoffs, can it?

Plummer is hardly the only problem, but he is the biggest and it apparently is affecting the play of the rest of the team. No credible passing threat is helping to decimate the running game, and the repeated 3 & outs is keeping the D on the field a lot more. Plummer has just lost it. Maybe the shadow of a top rook looking over his shoulder brought out the worst in him, but there's little question he's one of the worst starting QBs in the NFL this year.

Let's take Cutler out for a spin & see what he can do. What's the worst thing that can happen? We miss the playoffs? It appears we're headed that way right now.

Well, it can't get much worse than 2 divisional losses in less than a week that drop DEN from the #2 seed in the AFC to being 1 game away from not making the playoffs, can it?

Plummer is hardly the only problem, but he is the biggest and it apparently is affecting the play of the rest of the team. No credible passing threat is helping to decimate the running game, and the repeated 3 & outs is keeping the D on the field a lot more. Plummer has just lost it. Maybe the shadow of a top rook looking over his shoulder brought out the worst in him, but there's little question he's one of the worst starting QBs in the NFL this year.

Let's take Cutler out for a spin & see what he can do. What's the worst thing that can happen? We miss the playoffs? It appears we're headed that way right now.

Agree with this. No real downside to try it IMO. And I still think they win 10 for sure and maybe 11. But one thing I think is pick a RB Shanny and let him run. Also I think they may have more passing weapons this season with Walker, Smith, and some decent TE's maybe they should try and throw a little more than past Den teams. For an offensive "genius" Shanny sometimes leaves me scratching my head. His O's recently haven't been anything special IMO.

um not here

romo, what 4 years in the league? i guess and culter about 3/4 of a year... big difference.

Definitely. If Cutler were in his second year, I'd be more supportive of this move. But I think that it's a mistake to throw a rookie out there, especially when your team's strengths are defense and running the ball. I buy the argument that Jake Plummer probably isn't going to make enough plays to win a SB, but after watching Roethlisberger bite it this past February and still win with a strong defense and rushing game around him, it's far from impossible. And I see no evidence that Cutler can do any better. At the very least, Plummer played halfway decently at Indy and vs. NE in January over the past two years. Denver's defense has arguably been more of a liability than Plummer in the playoffs. But what I've heard so far about Cutler suggests that he just may be up to the task. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I've only watched a couple of Broncos games this year, but it seems to me that Shanahan has abandoned much of the play-action/bootlegs with Plummer and has him dropping back into the pocket. I think that's part of the problem.

Edited by Bill Swerski

pretty much. the upside is the offense starts clicking, they win some games, and at least scare some folks in the playoffs. the downside is losing 3 or 4 out of 5 and missing the playoffs, and like you say, things appear headed that way in any case. but even the downside has an upside, as cutler won't be totally green going into next year.

when shanny drafted cutler, i don't think he wanted to have to make this decision until sometime NEXT season at the earliest. but jake's truly miserable play this season has forced his hand. jake said all the right things after cutler was drafted, but clearly it had a major effect on his fragile psyche. shoulda seen it coming...ever since he's been here he's had this weird persecuted attitude. even when the media and fans have had mostly good things to say about him, he'll make some comment (or hand gesture) showing what a little girl he is inside.

jake, if you'll grow up a little, you might make a decent backup NFL QB, here or somewhere else. :D

pretty much. the upside is the offense starts clicking, they win some games, and at least scare some folks in the playoffs. the downside is losing 3 or 4 out of 5 and missing the playoffs, and like you say, things appear headed that way in any case. but even the downside has an upside, as cutler won't be totally green going into next year.

when shanny drafted cutler, i don't think he wanted to have to make this decision until sometime NEXT season at the earliest. but jake's truly miserable play this season has forced his hand. jake said all the right things after cutler was drafted, but clearly it had a major effect on his fragile psyche. shoulda seen it coming...ever since he's been here he's had this weird persecuted attitude. even when the media and fans have had mostly good things to say about him, he'll make some comment (or hand gesture) showing what a little girl he is inside.

jake, if you'll grow up a little, you might make a decent backup NFL QB, here or somewhere else. :D

at least his dog still loves him :D

If Cutler were in his second year, I'd be more supportive of this move. But I think that it's a mistake to throw a rookie out there, especially when your team's strengths are defense and running the ball.

But what I've heard so far about Cutler suggests that he just may be up to the task. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

hmmm...I guess after the 'Romo' debacle that 'straddling the fence' this time around looks pretty good... :D

hmmm...I guess after the 'Romo' debacle that 'straddling the fence' this time around looks pretty good... :D

Definitely. If Cutler were in his second year, I'd be more supportive of this move. But I think that it's a mistake to throw a rookie out there, especially when your team's strengths are defense and running the ball.

:D

Anyone remember a 6th round rookie that was forced into action after the established vet QB for NE was forced out of action because of a crushing hit that sidelined him for an extended time, and what the consequences of that change at QB were?

Placing a rookie like Cutler into the starting lineup with a veteran team surrounding him does not have to lead to concessions of this season or next. I'm not saying that lightening will strike twice, but I'm also saying there is a precedence for a positive outcome in this situation that allows for hope.

Anyone remember a 6th round rookie that was forced into action after the established vet QB for NE was forced out of action because of a crushing hit that sidelined him for an extended time, and what the consequences of that change at QB were?

The person that you speak of was not a rookie. People like him also come around maybe once every 10 years.

Anyone remember the #1 overall pick who was given the starting position in CIN after the previous season's QB had a career year? Anyone remember this #1 pick sucking for the first ten weeks of the '04 season, despite having over a year's worth of experience in the system?

Placing a rookie like Cutler into the starting lineup with a veteran team surrounding him does not have to lead to concessions of this season or next. I'm not saying that lightening will strike twice, but I'm also saying there is a precedence for a positive outcome in this situation that allows for hope.

I agree with that. I don't agree with Shanahan's move, but he's seen a lot more of Cutler than I have.