[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Who knew?

theeohiostate

5' 9" 310 lbs, lifts 500+ lbs for a state record.

First girl to play on a varsity football team.

All pretty cool to do what she loves regardless of gender.

Not to diminish what she did but...

Published: September 5, 1982

Vicky Smith, a junior at Shorewood High School, on Friday night became the first girl in the Milwaukee area to play in a varsity football game. Miss Smith, who is 5 feet 7 inches tall and weighs 157 pounds, took part in two plays in a 27-0 loss to Port Washington.

She played middle guard on the first and nose guard on the final play of the game. Coach Dennis Williamson said that her teammates had accepted Miss Smith as part of the team, although she had practiced on only three days. ''I'll be at practice Tuesday and if I'm there every day next week, coach says I'll play more,'' Miss Smith said. Donna Wilborn was the first girl to play varsity football in Wisconsin. She played three seasons for Mount Horeb High beginning in 1978.

My oldest munchkin (now a DII softball pitcher/CF/3B) had a stronger football arm than any of the boys coming up through grade school and still throws the prettiest fade and corner routes of any kid we've seen come through the local HS ... She never had much an interest in playing competitively, but we had folks ask if she would consider it -- and a couple of boys fathers who were scared she would!

Edited by Donutrun Jellies

Not to diminish what she did but...

Published: September 5, 1982

Vicky Smith, a junior at Shorewood High School, on Friday night became the first girl in the Milwaukee area to play in a varsity football game. Miss Smith, who is 5 feet 7 inches tall and weighs 157 pounds, took part in two plays in a 27-0 loss to Port Washington.

She played middle guard on the first and nose guard on the final play of the game. Coach Dennis Williamson said that her teammates had accepted Miss Smith as part of the team, although she had practiced on only three days. ''I'll be at practice Tuesday and if I'm there every day next week, coach says I'll play more,'' Miss Smith said. Donna Wilborn was the first girl to play varsity football in Wisconsin. She played three seasons for Mount Horeb High beginning in 1978.

She's 5' 7" and 157 and PLAYED NOSE GUARD...... :D

Got a message just now from my nephew saying that Holly is his best friends cousin. His friend Josh happens to be in our local league.....................who knew?

thats correct. josh told me a few years ago nick was his cuz, and ive been following him ever since.

I live about 5-10 miles from Kettering Alter HS and that was the first time i'd heard there was a girl on their squad.

I missed the piece today, but I've seen the story at least twice this season. Once on the NFL network, and once in the New York Times (on line). Of course I'm an Alter High School grad, so I was probably paying more attention.