[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

bears-pats

montster

No kidding. See: 2003 AFC Championship Game :D

Taking advantage of NE's depleted secondary is one thing, but trying to throw 50-yd bombs to Berrian on every third or fourth play is completely asinine. The Bears don't need a Favre impersonator at QB (especially when he plays more like a Vinny Testaverde impersonator). They just need a veteran who will manage the offense, won't turn the ball over three or four (or five) times a game, and will let CHI's defense and special teams do their thing. And I think that Griese should be given the opportunity to be that guy. Griese isn't anything special, but he's a veteran with modest success who was playing pretty well in TB before the knee injury two years ago.

I'd like to agree.................. :D .................I really would, but it ain't gonna happen! Rexy is in there til he REALLY F's up a game! :bash:

If I'm wrong it's a win-win situation!

Rex needs lessons in humility! That is:

YOU AIN'T FREAKIN' FAVRE!!!!! Live w/ it! :clap:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of mediocre, the Hawks defense is below-average and their O-line hasn't been able to run-block effectively all season. I'd be more worried about that than Chicago's QB situation if I were you.

:D:D

Thanks for the advice Billy! I'm pretty knowledgeable on the Seahawks strengths and weaknesses, so I'll go ahead and worry about a multitude of things at my own discretion...mmmkay. :bash:

Edited by bushwacked

No kidding. See: 2003 AFC Championship Game :D

Taking advantage of NE's depleted secondary is one thing, but trying to throw 50-yd bombs to Berrian on every third or fourth play is completely asinine. The Bears don't need a Favre impersonator at QB (especially when he plays more like a Vinny Testaverde impersonator). They just need a veteran who will manage the offense, won't turn the ball over three or four (or five) times a game, and will let CHI's defense and special teams do their thing. And I think that Griese should be given the opportunity to be that guy. Griese isn't anything special, but he's a veteran with modest success who was playing pretty well in TB before the knee injury two years ago.

Largely agree. I see two problems with the offense (there are more but these will do for the time being):

1. The OC thinks the long bombs every series are a good idea and Grossman is doing what he's told.

2. Grossman has a real accuracy issue and that's a bigger problem than the failed bombs. He's struggling to get the ball in the right place for his WRs to catch it and the defenders are making him pay.

Leave it to Swerski to pop in just to whine AGAIN about stuff that happened 3 years ago. :D

Those PI calls against NE today were ridiculous. To see it the other way is just to have your Bears goggles on. I'm the last person to deny that the Pats DBs play, but those particular plays hardly meet the definition PI. There were probably other plays in the game that deserved a call more than those two. Berrian's just very good at whining to the refs.

On the other hand, I have Berrian and appreciated the yardage. :torn:

:clap::bash:

Thanks for the advice Billy! I'm pretty knowledgeable on the Seahawks strengths and weaknesses, so I'll go ahead and worry about a multitude of things at my own discretion...mmmkay. :tup:

Yeah, you go ahead and do that. :doh:

Leave it to Swerski to pop in just to whine AGAIN about stuff that happened 3 years ago. :D

Those PI calls against NE today were ridiculous. To see it the other way is just to have your Bears goggles on.

Typical Pats fan. It's OK for their DBs to commit pass interference 15 times a game and it's OK for Rodney Harrison to take a cheap shot at an opponent, but d@mn anybody who calls them on it because the Patriots are above the rules and above reproach.

What was that you were saying about being a crybaby? :D

Edited by Bill Swerski

Largely agree. I see two problems with the offense (there are more but these will do for the time being):

1. The OC thinks the long bombs every series are a good idea and Grossman is doing what he's told.

I haven't seen the Bears' playbook, but I imagine that they run Berrian deep on a number of routes to draw one of the safeties into double-coverage and clear the middle for Muhammad and Clark. In other words, I'll bet that Berrian isn't the first read on many of those routes. And unless my memory is failing me, I don't recall Turner running an Al Davis-esque vertical offense.

2. Grossman has a real accuracy issue and that's a bigger problem than the failed bombs. He's struggling to get the ball in the right place for his WRs to catch it and the defenders are making him pay.

There's definitely some truth to that. His accuracy seems to have regressed from earlier this season.

I haven't seen the Bears' playbook, but I imagine that they run Berrian deep on a number of routes to draw one of the safeties into double-coverage and clear the middle for Muhammad and Clark. In other words, I'll bet that Berrian isn't the first read on many of those routes. And unless my memory is failing me, I don't recall Turner running an Al Davis-esque vertical offense.

Hmmm. If those long shots are second option, then first option is failing dismally to get open in the middle, judging by how many of them there are.

After the final recovery from Dillon, with just under 2 minutes left, I thought it astounding that they'd try a long pass right out of the gate especially at a defender who had two INTs already. Surely it would have made much more sense to work the sidelines......I know they had no timeouts but even if that long pass had stuck, the clock was going to keep running while the offense caught up.

Swerski,

I have read many a post from you and you have a vast knowledge of football but you are definately a jack ass ( donkey ) for making such piss poor arguments as you do!!! you obviously hate the Pats and think the Colts are the second coming but news flash for you the Pats are that damn good and the Colts are not ( at least yet anyway) You clamor on like you have been a ref and are the guy that makes the calls but yet when they go against your teams you cry like a little school girl that just got her lollipop stolen!!!

Heres to you SWERSKI :D

(1) I do not "hate" the Pats. Being a Colts fan, it's true that I dislike them. But I have a ton of respect for their organization. They've beaten the Colts in the playoffs because they've flat-out been the better team. They play much more physically on defense and they've done a much better job of controlling the line of scrimmage. And I certainly do not think that the Colts are the "second coming." Their defense is as soft as a marshmallow and their O-line has regressed over the past couple of years.

However, the Pats LBs and DBs are notorious for playing rough-house in coverage and pushing the envelope when it comes to pass interference and illegal contact. Ty Law even admitted that Belichick instructed them to take a few of those penalties if need be in the '03 AFC Championship Game. Since the refs allowed them to get away with that in a major playoff game, some Pats fans now feel that their defensive players are above the rules and whine like babies when subsequent officiating crews enforce them.

(2) My arguments are infinitely more intelligent than the intellectually-void, gramatically-deficient crap that you posted above. Have a nice day. :D

Edited by Bill Swerski

Hmmm. If those long shots are second option, then first option is failing dismally to get open in the middle, judging by how many of them there are.

The Pats LBs are very good in coverage.

The problem is that Grossman (and maybe Turner to a certain extent) is in love with the long ball. They need to knock it off and play more conservatively.

frankly, i loved watching that game. two elite defenses (and yeah, i think the pats are at least capable of getting back to that level consistently) laying a smackdown on the opposing team. the way both teams were almost able to WILL turnovers was pretty impressive. i am convinced both of these teams will make major noise in the playoffs this season. whoever gave credit to the pats o-line in this thread was right on the money though. helluva game against some badass competition by those guys :D

as far as grossman goes? eh, not a great game...but no way you bench the guy at this point IMO. i think he'll be ok if the bears can find ways to protect him a little better. when he's constantly under pressure his mechanics get really bad, throwing off his back foot and such, and his accuracy goes in the toilet. the challenge is on the coaching/gameplanning as well as grossman to gets things back on track.

Edited by Azazello1313

Was Chicago's entire gameplan in the second half to just throw up bombs and hope for penalty flags against the Pats secondary? The only reason this game was as close as it was on the scoreboard was because the Bears got 2 HUGH pass interference calls which were bogus. The Bears will obviously clinch the #1 seed in the NFC (because the rest of that conference is horrible except for the Cowboys right now) but they need to either get the running game back on track or get Grossman out of there if they want to go to the SB.

I wouldent call the Saints horrible...

as far as grossman goes? eh, not a great game...but no way you bench the guy at this point IMO. i think he'll be ok if the bears can find ways to protect him a little better. when he's constantly under pressure his mechanics get really bad, throwing off his back foot and such, and his accuracy goes in the toilet. the challenge is on the coaching/gameplanning as well as grossman to gets things back on track.

Agreed that the Bears pass protection wasn't very good, but that's par for the course when you face the Pats front 7. Not sure I agree about Grossman, though. He makes bad decisions, even when he's not under pressure. I'm beginning to think that he's Jake Plummer Jr.

After the final recovery from Dillon, with just under 2 minutes left, I thought it astounding that they'd try a long pass right out of the gate especially at a defender who had two INTs already. Surely it would have made much more sense to work the sidelines......I know they had no timeouts but even if that long pass had stuck, the clock was going to keep running while the offense caught up.

I immediately yelled "that better not be Ellis Hobbs" when I saw Rex chuck it up on that play. If the Bears were trying to draw a 3rd PI call then Hobbs should've been the target, not Samuel.

Typical Pats fan. It's OK for their DBs to commit pass interference 15 times a game and it's OK for Rodney Harrison to take a cheap shot at an opponent, but d@mn anybody who calls them on it because the Patriots are above the rules and above reproach.

What was that you were saying about being a crybaby? :D

Swerski,

I have read many a post from you and you have a vast knowledge of football but you are definately a jack ass ( donkey ) for making such piss poor arguments as you do!!! you obviously hate the Pats and think the Colts are the second coming but news flash for you the Pats are that damn good and the Colts are not ( at least yet anyway) You clamor on like you have been a ref and are the guy that makes the calls but yet when they go against your teams you cry like a little school girl that just got her lollipop stolen!!!

Heres to you SWERSKI :D

Well said the guys is a dic !