[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Reggie Wayne

bushwacked

The last few games seem to indicate that. FYI, all the Harrison owners can thank me advance as this kind of post allways illicits a Harrison long bomb TD.

Clearly Wayne is now #1. I have Harrison in a 3-keeper league and next year I won't. His time has come and gone, save for the occasional outburst. Manning has hardly glanced to the right tonight.

This "Wayne is the new #1" talk has been going on for the past couple of seasons, yet I have yet to see any evidence of it happening. Their passing stats going into tonight were similar and they're both pretty inconsistent from week to week.

One thing I have noticed is that Marvin has become more of a "feast or famine" type over the past season and a half or so. Marvin has also been the go-to guy when they face NE or JAX, while Wayne gets about 15 balls thrown his way when they play DEN (Peyton avoids Champ Bailey like the plaugue).

This "Wayne is the new #1" talk has been going on for the past couple of seasons, yet I have yet to see any evidence of it happening. Their passing stats going into tonight were similar and they're both pretty inconsistent from week to week.

One thing I have noticed is that Marvin has become more of a "feast or famine" type over the past season and a half or so. Marvin has also been the go-to guy when they face NE or JAX, while Wayne gets about 15 balls thrown his way when they play DEN (Peyton avoids Champ Bailey like the plaugue).

bah. Harrison was a monster last year.

And the only reason Harrison has games where he's not the #1 is because he gets the best coverage on him, and it opens it up for the Wayniac.

Harrison would still blow Wayne out of the water if they were both in single coverage. His route running alone would guarantee him 2 Tds, not to mention his ability to hold onto a ball, and make silly catches.

Although that one-hander from Wayne was pretty silly. He definitely is #1 material on 75% of the other teams in the NFL. Harrison is just the man.

bah. Harrison was a monster last year.

And the only reason Harrison has games where he's not the #1 is because he gets the best coverage on him, and it opens it up for the Wayniac.

Harrison would still blow Wayne out of the water if they were both in single coverage. His route running alone would guarantee him 2 Tds, not to mention his ability to hold onto a ball, and make silly catches.

Harrison had more than his share of 30-40 yd/0-TD games last season, which is one of the reasons that I dealt him in my fantasy league. His overall numbers are still very good at the end of the season, but his lack of consistency is maddening for fantasy owners.

But you're absolutely correct about the better coverage on Marvin and Wayne's ability to exploit average DBs on he other side of the field affecting their numbers. Wayne is a very, very good possession receiver but, even at Marvin's advanced age, he's still faster and still runs better routes than Reggie.

Wayne is a very, very good possession receiver but, even at Marvin's advanced age, he's still faster and still runs better routes than Reggie.

And what exactly do you base this conclusion upon? Receiving numbers reciprocate on good teams as defenses adjust to the #2 option, but Wayne has been a very good #2 WR for 3+ seasons. Manning is generally looking at Wayne first, and the season statistics seem to tell the story. Harrison's numbers are down. Teams have been putting "better coverage" on Harrison for a loooooong time.

I'd like to hear a Indy homers take on this. Unless you are watching game film or the play develop from the stands, how do you know that Marvin is faster and runs better routes? Might Shanahan not put Bailey on Wayne if given another chance?

In my mind....it's not like Houshmanzahdeh/Henry compared to Chad Johnson. Doesn't a 33+ year old wideout start to lose it at some point?

Edited by bushwacked

Harrison had more than his share of 30-40 yd/0-TD games last season, which is one of the reasons that I dealt him in my fantasy league. His overall numbers are still very good at the end of the season, but his lack of consistency is maddening for fantasy owners.

But you're absolutely correct about the better coverage on Marvin and Wayne's ability to exploit average DBs on he other side of the field affecting their numbers. Wayne is a very, very good possession receiver but, even at Marvin's advanced age, he's still faster and still runs better routes than Reggie.

i would go so far as to say he is the best in the league at running routes.

and I'm too lazy to look up his per game production last year, but I dont remember very many off games. He finished up with 12 TDs IIRC...

And what exactly do you base this conclusion upon? Receiving numbers reciprocate on good teams as defenses adjust to the #2 option, but Wayne has been a very good #2 WR for 3+ seasons. Manning is generally looking at Wayne first, and the season statistics seem to tell the story. Harrison's numbers are down.

I'd like to hear a Indy homers take on this. Unless you are watching game film or the play develop from the stands, how do you know that Marvin is faster and runs better routes? Might Shanahan not put Bailey on Wayne if given another chance?

In my mind....it's not like Houshmanzahdeh/Henry compared to Chad Johnson. Doesn't a 33+ year old wideout start to lose it at some point?

Harrison can still burn DBs and his routes are simply impeccable. He can sell an out route better than ANYONE in the league. He can stop on a dime, and fool a corner with a stop and go as if he invented the play. And has such tremendous rapport with Manning it's truly a thing of beauty. They are the epitome of the QB/WR duo, and that's why they hold the TD record, and will for many many years.

And you said it. Wayne has been a very good #2 for many seasons. If there was any other QB on Indy, Harrison's #'s would be through the roof, because Manning can exploit any weakness on the defense and therefore does not need to force feed the ball to Harrison (ala Delhomme :D) He can take what the defense gives him. So Harrison remains the #1 just because he is so good at doing what he does and because he can still burn defenses and still make big plays AND STILL pulls the best CBs and defensive schemes because his fundamentals and knowledge of the game far surpasses anyone else lining up across from him. Wayne has sheer athletic ability. Working with Manning has helped him channel those abilities and worked him into a spot where he could be the #1 on alot of other teams.

And lets not forget, as long as Manning is under center, he'll never forget about his boy Harrison, and that alone is why Harrison will be a #1 for as long as his legs will allow. Manning will get Harrison the ball on pure principal.

Edited by LooGie

And lets not forget, as long as Manning is under center, he'll never forget about his boy Harrison, and that alone is why Harrison will be a #1 for as long as his legs will allow. Manning will get Harrison the ball on pure principal.

Well, his memory and principles failed him tonight. :D

All I wanted was a mediocre showing, maybe 50 yards, to put one of my games virtually out of reach. Now I have to sweat it out and see what Darrell Jackson does on MNF.

Well, his memory and principles failed him tonight. :D

All I wanted was a mediocre showing, maybe 50 yards, to put one of my games virtually out of reach. Now I have to sweat it out and see what Darrell Jackson does on MNF.

:D i feel your pain. of course I'm not talking fantasy wise and I'm not talking on a weekly basis. By the years end, Harrison will have his #'s.

You however...might not :bash:

:D i feel your pain. of course I'm not talking fantasy wise and I'm not talking on a weekly basis. By the years end, Harrison will have his #'s.

You however...might not :D

Just looking at Harrison's numbers in the one league I own him...

He has 5 TDs on the season but has only scored in three games - two of them he had 2 TDs

He has broken 100 yards three times, in games 1, 2 and 9 - the last of these was by far his biggest game at NE and was also the only game where he's broken 100 AND scored.

He has 821 yards on the season, for an average of about 74 over 11 games.

He is 141 yards and 3 TDs behind Wayne on an almost identical number of receptions.

Neither of them scored before Game 5.

In the last 3 games, Wayne is 15 receptions, 230 yards, 3 TDs, while Harrison is 9 receptions, 123 yards, 0 TDs.

Seems to me Wayne is without doubt the Indy receiver to own at this point.

In the last 3 games, Wayne is 15 receptions, 230 yards, 3 TDs, while Harrison is 9 receptions, 123 yards, 0 TDs.

Seems to me Wayne is without doubt the Indy receiver to own at this point.

I absolutely love Harrison as a football player, but I think everyone's dominance comes to an end. Harrison will still have games where he outperforms Wayne and will continue to be a factor, but I think the guard has changed. Harrison is an old man. It's not like Holt/Bruce, because clearly Wayne doesn't possess the pure ability as Holt, and I think Harrison is currently the better senior citizen WR compared to Bruce. Wayne will continue to perfrom great with another great WR across the field, without him....still pretty dang good with Manning slinging it to him.

i'd say they're co-#1 and have been for at least the last year and a half or so. it just depends from week to week which way manning is looking, and that rarely seems to be as balanced as it is, say, in arizona. i wouldn't be giving up on marvin, he's still a great WR in his prime, even if a few lean weeks are ot be expected.

I'm afraid both Indy WR's and perhaps Chargers players will be sitting for part of the fantasy playoffs this year. At least weeks 16 and 17.

Not if Baltimore keeps winning. Not to mention that New England is right there as well. Home field will keep them playing.

All the stats and hogwash about Manning's preference is just that--HOGWASH....!

Wayne's ability for separation doesn't need to be too much for Manning to put the ball in there....please review the one-hand catch (challenged by Philly) by Wayne and his feet doing a circus act to get them both down....there are very few WR's in the NFL (particularly #2's) that could have made that catch (let alone one-handed) and get their feet in bounds....just extraordinary!!!!

Marvin got one pass for 8 yards....you can put who you want on Wayne...I believe he can get enough separation IMO on any DB with his physicalness and route running for Peyton to look his way anytime....

Addai was the difference last night as the passing game was just a complement to an offensive line pushing the Eagles around and their poor tackling just prevented from very many looks to Marvin period!

If Indy's ground game gains steam from here on out....LOOK OUT!!!!!! Running the ball like tonight will make Marvin and Reggie's need for separation less strenuous...thus wide open bombs!!! :D:D